PDA

View Full Version : Canadian dealers are insane

Galcobar
06-18-2007, 07:36 PM
Along with the engine replacement, figured I'd also replace my front and rear engine mounts -- 300,000 km will produce a bit of wear.

Priced the pair from the online dealers:
-Partsamerica US$75.98 (aftermarket parts, free shipping in US)
-1sttoyotaparts.com US$94.54 (shipping = 10% of order)

Even in the day of the $0.65 Canadian dollar, that'd still work out to $198.77 buying from 1sttoyota. The greenback's worth about $1.09 Canadian now.

Called my local dealership, was quoted:
$197.40 -- for ONE
$108.40 for the other.

Plus the whole issue of taxes -- 13% with federal and provincial sales taxes.

C$345.55 for parts from the dealer than I can have shipped, pay taxes and tariffs on from a US source for $136.03?

What the hell?

celicaGT90_05
06-18-2007, 07:46 PM
oh thats not just canadian dealers, thats all dealers

Melchior
06-18-2007, 08:44 PM
The CND dealers are insane, I managed to wrangle a discount at one locally and it's still usually 40-50% more then i'd pay via 1st toyota after duty and shipping etc...

That said, for large items (body work) it's still wiser b/c then you don't have to freight it

T-spoon
06-18-2007, 11:18 PM
It's called making money. There are costs to do business, employees need to be payed (however little or much that may be). Dealers do not get parts for free, they have to buy them from regional distributers who have bought teh parts from Toyota itself. Some markups seem extremely high, but let's face it, even when toyota dealers have competative prices a lot of people will keep searching for the cheapest part, whever they can find it, even if it is an inferior part. Some dealerships scalp because they are not in as competative an area or they don't care if they sell parts or not. Some dealers discount parts ridiculously and have a large wholesale business to shops and other folk (like online buyers). Don't expect low prices when walking into a store. That's not just car parts either. How often do you find better prices online for something than walking into the store? Meh.. been over this before..

celicatrd93
06-19-2007, 12:31 AM
oh thats not just canadian dealers, thats all dealers
+2, all dealer are like that.

TheNefariousOne
06-19-2007, 12:42 AM
That is insane! I'm sorry, I understand they need to make money, but that's damn near robbery. I find it very difficult to believe that the costs of a small piece of metal and rubber are anywhere close to the price they charge.

alltracman78
06-19-2007, 01:16 AM
The cost of the actual part might not be.

The cost of
paying employees
paying power bill
paying rent/property tax
paying heating bill
paying for misc supplies
making profit
and whatever else I forgot

is.

Didn't you read Tspoons post?

Work at a dealer if you don't like it.
That's what I do. :)

TheNefariousOne
06-19-2007, 01:22 AM
Even taking that all into account, that's still insane. Selling parts isn't the only way they make money.

1990CelicaGT-S
06-19-2007, 02:59 AM
I had once quoted a power steering lines for my Celica from the dealer. They couldn't sell me an individual line so I would have had to buy all the lines. That would have cost me $550. Since I started at Midas I've made quite a few friends at our local Toyota dealerships and have a 80% discount....:D

Galcobar
06-19-2007, 03:00 AM
Okay, obviously most people missed the point of my post entirely.

I'm not complaining that dealer prices are higher than aftermarket prices. I'm not complaining that dealer prices are higher than 1sttoyotaparts.com prices (which, by the way, is run by a Toyota dealership in Renton WA). Prices I got from US dealers in other areas of the country were within 10-15% of 1sttoyotaparts. If my local dealer were within that range, I'd be quite happy to pay for the convenience.

I'm complaining that somehow the national border causes the prices to massively inflate with no explanation. The US dealer and the Canadian dealer, particularly when they are so closely located, face the same costs. Hell, Canadian dealer I talked to is located in the same city as the provincial parts warehouse for Toyota. Nor is it a matter of being in a restricted market. I've got five Toyota dealerships within local calling distance.

Let me put this more clearly.

Canadian dealer prices, compared to US dealer prices, are insane.

liplip
06-19-2007, 03:59 AM
When i needed 2 gas tank straps, a Toyota dealership here in Ontario quoted me $120 for EACH.I looked online and bought 2 straps for less than $120! Dealership = stealership.

Melchior
06-19-2007, 07:06 AM
Okay, obviously most people missed the point of my post entirely....The US dealer and the Canadian dealer, particularly when they are so closely located, face the same costs. Hell, Canadian dealer I talked to is located in the same city as the provincial parts warehouse for Toyota. Nor is it a matter of being in a restricted market. I've got five Toyota dealerships within local calling distance.

Let me put this more clearly.

Canadian dealer prices, compared to US dealer prices, are insane.

This is also what i'm saying.

I wasn't saying anything about dealer markups in general, and I know brick and mortar is always going to have higher costs due to overhead, and I knowingly pay a lot more at my local dealership because they're local and I want to support them.

I work in the retail industry for a company that deals with stores in both countries and know the type of cost increase you deal with when going cross-border, but I was still pretty shocked at how much of a difference you find even 1-2 hours north of the border. It goes WAY beyond normal markup for the cost associated with moving parts across a border. That's my only complaint.

I also think us in the Vancouver BC area get hit pretty hard with this; I bet those on Vancouver Island get it even worse.

Conrad_Turbo
07-03-2007, 06:36 PM
I see the exact same thing as Galcobar with some dealers overcharging, I buy through 1sttotoyotaparts.com or through Toyota_Todd. I can get parts 1/2 the price as compared to buying it from my local dealer (and I even have a 15% sponsorship through the dealer), absolutely rediculous.

FYI in the markup is VERY high on service parts in nearly every single industry, if you don't believe me then try and order all the parts to build a car and see the cost of the car cost more than 50x the price of the car in the lot. Markup is high because you're already have the product and now they can keep making a healthy profit on maintaining that product even after the product is sold. However also to consider for the cost increase is there is more inventory management that needs to be done for service parts since it's on a single customer basis, as compared to a production line, but the price of a service part is grossly over priced.

T-spoon
07-03-2007, 07:02 PM
Selling parts isn't the only way they make money.

Actually. Yes it is for some. I'm one of those. I don't make piles of money either. Salesmen are usually paid off a % of the gross, you know, the difference between dealer cost and the sale price. Say a part costs the dealer $50. If I sell it to you for $60, I make like.. a dime.. on my paycheck, minus taxes. Perspective people.. persepective :hehe: