PDA

View Full Version : Hood Paint Fading, what to do?

Newbster
06-17-2007, 06:01 PM
My super red paint on my hood was fading so a few weeks ago I polished it with some turtle wax polish, and it looked great. But now a few weeks later, in the sunlight I can see all these swirls and everyday it seems to get worse. I see big white streaks/swirls. I dont know what to do? Can a prof. detailer get the hood looking good again/get away the swirls? Or was that the last layer of paint I hit and now I'm screwed? Please any advice appreciated :bowdown:

BTW I tried buffing more, but the streaks/swirls arent dried polish, its deeper then that I think.... I dont know

hobbie2k
06-17-2007, 06:32 PM
It's not the paint that's fading, but rather the clearcoat is getting oxidized and cloudy. A professional detailer will try using an electric buffer which may clean it up some, but if you've already done it and it doesn't help, then you're probably more likely to damage the rest of the clearcoat.

The only way to really fix it is to get a good respray.

If I'm wrong, correct me, though.

Slider
06-18-2007, 04:01 AM
Did you use a buffer or hand polish?

A professional detailer will probably use a couple different pads depending on how bad the paint is and an aggressive polish then a mild one. I would ask a professional since the products for you to revive that hood will probably cost more than a professional doing it, and they'll do it right. ex: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y174/0-1bluecls/Details/miatahoodduring.jpg

I've seen MR2s and old Toyota trucks with that paint revived so there's a good chance that hood can be fixed. If you want to look around to see how people dealt with that kind of paint check out http://autopia.org/forum/ and search for single stage oxidized in the search box. Keep in mind your paint is a single stage with no clearcoat unlike older cars, so don't get freaked out if your buffing pad or cloth is turning red.

Slider
06-18-2007, 04:07 AM
Oh if you want to give it one last try, try wet sanding a small spot and using a 3m cutting compound to polish it out.

Newbster
06-18-2007, 11:33 AM
I used polish and did it by hand, and yes red paint came off on my buffing pad. Im going to look into a pro detailer this week.