PDA

View Full Version : wind deflector removal

Blackcloud
06-15-2007, 05:44 AM
how do i do it without fucking up the paint?

They are sticky taped down

VikingJZ
06-17-2007, 08:53 PM
Try a heat gun.

Blackcloud
06-17-2007, 10:42 PM
how hot do i get them before the adhesive melts?

and whats a good adhesive remover that wont ruin the paint

RyanD
06-18-2007, 05:01 AM
I couldn't tell you what temperature the adhesive melts at, but my father and I encountered a similar situation to yours just a few weeks ago. He purchased a new motorcycle and he wanted to take off all the extra stickers (such as safety and other miscellaneous operating instructions). Anyway, he used a heat gun to remove them, and then we tried several methods of removing the glue. Wax, lubricants, even a clay bar...nothing seemed to work.

That is, until we found this:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d99/oilerfan05/DSC05140.jpg

That's "Swix Citrus Solvent" - worked like a charm! It took the adhesive off right away with little effort. And I would imagine the sticker glue is similar to the sticky tape you're faced with.

He bought that stuff in 1994, but it looks like you can find it at local hardware stores - they seem to appear in most ski shops, too. I guess it's used as a cleaner for skis and snowboards, but it works wonders for this and doesn't damage your paint!

Blackcloud
06-18-2007, 01:14 PM
cool thanks

RyanD
06-19-2007, 02:37 AM
No problem. Keep us updated!

celica91gts
06-25-2007, 12:21 PM
how hot do i get them before the adhesive melts?

and whats a good adhesive remover that wont ruin the paint

after u take the wind deflector off, if there's still glue or w/e try useing goo gone. its pretty awesome. works for me. i had a lil body work done before and they did a shity job taping my car and the glue from the tape was seriouly holding on the the surface of my car. goo gone worked and dosent hurt the paint. just gota let it sit and soak for like 5 min.