PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate protection against tickets (besides slowing down) ?

Ghosty
06-15-2007, 02:21 AM
As many people already know, radar detectors have one big flaw.
They can't protect you from cops who use their speedometers, or who are just out to hassle you.

A cop can come up behind you, in an unmarked car, and pull you over. Sure, you might be able to spot even an unmarked cop car, but how many times has a cop slipped out of your vision? Or, what would stop a cop car making a U-turn, just to pull you over and hassle you, even if you aren't speeding?

It's been talked about before in other forums, but has anyone considered a device that tracks cop cars no by their radar, but by their radio transceivers?

Theoretically, when calibrated to frequencies used by local and state law enforcement, this device could alert you when any cop is near your location.

There's already a device on the market that can do that, the Uniden BCT series (T for "tracker") scanner. The theory is this: most state law enforcement carry a small portable radio on them. It doesn't have the power or range to get to the headquarters/dispatch station, so its signal is sent back to the police car, which then sends the signal over its considerably larger transmitting system. The BCT hones in on transceiver activity and notifies with audio and visual queues a transceiver within two or three miles.

The most recent addition to the BCT line is the BCT 15 (http://www.uniden.com/products/productdetail.cfm?product=BCT15&filter=TrunkTracker)

Here's a review of an earlier model, BCT 12 (http://www.radartest.com/article.asp?articleID=8000)

Anyone ever tried one of these?
Anyone interested in getting one?

1990CelicaGT-S
06-15-2007, 02:36 AM
Very interesting. I've acctually never thought of this. I need to do some more research.

celicaGT90_05
06-15-2007, 02:51 AM
thats is pretty interesting, my mom use to have a radar and it false alarmed to everything. I just wonder how accurate this thing is

1990CelicaGT-S
06-15-2007, 03:10 AM
Police transmitters and trucks run on a similar frequency though do they not?

Ghosty
06-15-2007, 03:12 AM
Well, what I've found so far is that a lot of agencies are using 800Mhz range communications now. Digital, at that.

On top of that, I think I read somewhere that the car transceivers that these pick up on are somehow being phased out... not sure, can't find any too specific information.

Regardless, I think the theory can still stand up with some ingenuity. If you can, in any way, determine when a radio close to you is tuned to a law-enforcement used frequency, you can determine when an officer is nearby.

An interesting thing is, I bet you don't even need the expensive BCT 15 or whatever. I bet any person competent with ham radios could figure out how to make a small unit that makes an audible and visual queue.

All you need is to detect if one is nearby. Sure it would be neat to listen in, but that's not always the point. Detection is good enough.

1990CelicaGT-S
06-15-2007, 11:02 AM
Now I heard this somewhere and correct me if I'm wrong. I was once told that the RCMP have a tool to be notified when they are being scanned...I'm not sure. Could they not have a tool to see if anyone is "camping" on thier radio frequency?

Ricksta
06-15-2007, 03:03 PM
Now I heard this somewhere and correct me if I'm wrong. I was once told that the RCMP have a tool to be notified when they are being scanned...I'm not sure. Could they not have a tool to see if anyone is "camping" on thier radio frequency?

i highly doubt it. as long as you dont say anything on that frequency they shouldnt know a thing.

hobbie2k
06-16-2007, 03:41 AM
i highly doubt it. as long as you dont say anything on that frequency they shouldnt know a thing.

Ricksta's right. As long as you're not transmitting anything, there's no way for them to tell if anyone's listening.

Luis C
06-16-2007, 03:43 AM
800 Mhz is a cell phone band used by GSM and CDMA operators... false positives anyone?