PDA

View Full Version : Got any painting tips???

90celicaGTX
06-14-2007, 03:59 AM
well im bout to start with in like two weeks or more on painting my car.

got any tips from body filler\usin it....

spraying da paint..
use of sand paper\grits...
i have a D.A. sander that i picked up from harbor frieght for like 30 bucks.. its pretty sweet.

im gunna do a flat black primer...
then a type of blue paint...

i dont have major dents, except one... rest just lil dings..

ive heard many things from different people..
so i wanna hear urs so i can make my own..
thanks!

donteatbugs
06-15-2007, 01:40 AM
go over the whole car with 320 to roughen the paint, the small dings can be gone over with 180 but not down to metal and wiped with puddy, large dents should be pushed out as much as possible, ground to metal, and filled with bondo or fiberglass. use bondo no more than 1/4 inch thick dont use fiberglass more than 1/2 inch. fiberglass with bend more than bondo. bondo has a history of cracking in cold weather if applied to thickly. after all the body work is done block it out with 180 and then 320. this takes a lot of time. anywhere you cant sand with 320 use a red scotch pad on. wash the car then dry it and then blow it down real good. wipe it down with a wax and grease remover 2 times then your ready for primer. i have preped many cars while i worked at a body shop, its not hard but it takes time. try to take everything off the car that doesnt need to get paint on it. use 3m 3/4 green tape to tape up the lines, then use newspaper on the glass. gl and post some pics.

PhillyDRFT
06-15-2007, 02:15 AM
body filler shouldent go more than 1/8th of an inch. Fiberglass becomes to rigid over 1/4-1/2 inch depending on the dimensions of the area.

Rough the paint with 600grit that will be primed over. (to remove the clear) There shouldn't be a scratch in the car deeper than at most 600 or it WILL SHOW.

Bugs has the right run down. Wrong numbers.

Ghosty
06-15-2007, 06:58 AM
I think that's awesome, dude.

Just wondering, how much rust does your celi have? Do you think it will give you any trouble?

Good luck, sounds like it will be awesome when it's done. I'm envious of that car painting skill.

celicaGT90_05
06-15-2007, 07:00 AM
If you use an electric sander to etch the paint, make sure you do it slowly and smoothly or you'll get these lines down the side of your car that will drive you nuts

JEDI
06-15-2007, 08:24 AM
I have a really interesting alternative that works great!

http://www.rickwrench.com/50dollarpaint.html

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2331682&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

PhillyDRFT
06-15-2007, 09:10 AM

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2331682&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

I've seen a LOT of these popping up on all the forums I'm on. Especially the Charger. (which looks AWESOME) I might add. I really want to try it for myself. It's a lot like painting with lacquer. where most of the sheen and gloss comes from the sanding and finishing rather than the spray. I tryed talking kotah into letting me do it to her GT-S but she wants real car paint lol.

donteatbugs
06-15-2007, 06:53 PM
sorry about the numbers. its been a while since i did any bondo, i was talking about the wipe and not the finished sand though. i would use as litttle as possible. i should have been more clear about that.

90celicaGTX
06-17-2007, 03:02 AM
no rust on her...
no electric sander here..

got a air one. a D.A. to be exact...

PhillyDRFT
06-17-2007, 04:46 AM
no rust on her...
no electric sander here..

got a air one. a D.A. to be exact...

DA are the best to use, orbitals tend to leave deep swirl marks. and random pattern sanders are impossible to get a nice surface with.

90celicaGTX
06-17-2007, 06:55 PM
thats one thing that people seem to agree on...

really looking forward to do this..
itll take me a while to get it going but i do a repost and pics along the way..

vms4evr
06-18-2007, 06:12 AM

This looks intriguing to do. I'm going to give it a try on the Celica since it's my project car and needs paint. I really didn't want to use the spray can in my garage. It's probably a $100 paint job by now but it looks like fun. Worst case I just sand it all back down and let a shop do it.

PhillyDRFT
06-18-2007, 11:59 PM
Ok sorry for the thread necromancy but this needed to come back up. It's been in my bookmarks for a week or so lol.

With Mineral Spirits and The normal Rusto Enamel. You think it will be a thin enough mix to spray through a HVLP gun or should I go with the acetone for a quicker drying time since I won't really need the self leveling and play time since I'm not using a roller?

Sorry for the newbish paint mix questions, No one ever tought me basic chemicals for house uses. I only know how to use the brand name stuff that's just numbers lol.

Edit: were most likely doing it to kotah's GT-S this week so ^.^ with good luck we might add an awesome thread to interior/exterior. with LOTS of pics!

Idiot Stick
06-19-2007, 01:18 AM
Haha myself and a friend (Rayme on here) are going to experiment with this on his old 6th gen hood. If it works im going to take the paint job out of the bodyjob that im getting done, and do the paint myself this way. Might save me a grand or two

vms4evr
09-24-2007, 01:49 AM
Time to bring that $100 paint job back to life. I started today. Might take a month to get it done in my spare time. I just sanded and prepped the bumper tonight and put coat #1 on it for a test. I'll take pictures as I go. Only bondo work needed is the sun roof. The paint on it cracked right down to the base. So that'll be a chore.

I chose gloss black since the car was originally black before the previous owner thought grape was cool... it isn't...

jason
09-24-2007, 03:52 AM
I've been doing this the last week on my hood and headlight covers. The whole car is next.

Slider
09-24-2007, 06:33 AM
The $50 dollar paint job is great bang for the buck. Just throwing this out there, you have to consider all the time it's going to take, especially the wet sanding. If you're ready for that than go for it :bigthumbu

turbo4ag
09-24-2007, 05:46 PM
You can get a single stage paint for around $100 for a gallon, hardener, and paint thinner. Thats what I did. I'll be spraying it with an electric hvlp and then doing the wetsanding, etc..

It just takes so long, and since I dont have a garage, it takes supreme planning around the Florida weather. Dont want my work to get wet from rain, but also dont want to die of heatstroke.

vms4evr
09-27-2007, 03:57 AM
I did all the wet sanding by hand with 320 grit. Have some bondo work to do on the sun roof and some small spots. This must have been a Maaco special paint job. The paint is randomly thick/thin. So I'm sanding again tomorrow. Then tape it up. I did paint a couple of coats on the bumpers to play with the paint thickness and how long you can use the roller before it starts tacking up. It's doable but definitely a lot of wet sanding for the whole job. This silly purple paint looked bad enough that I doubt I can make the car look worse. I'll start a new thread once, with pictures, once I get more done. Back to the garage to finish taping up the car...

Murgatroy
09-27-2007, 05:01 AM
I look forward to seeing it. It is an interesting option for me as well. I have sprayed cars before, but this seems fun.