PDA

View Full Version : Something is really wrong.....

3sgte@daspeedof
06-13-2007, 10:24 PM
So I have been rebuilding my motor since april, and i had pulled the motor out changed all the seals, and new headgasket. got it running, and it detonated after a few days. Mainly because of bad timing & a very cheap headgasket.

I replaced the headgasket with a cometic 1mm one and went to try and start it after hooking everything else up and it just won't start, I tried boosting it with another car, and it will crank for a little bit, then start to strugle to turn over. Anyone have any ideas I really could use some advice on this.

Luni
06-13-2007, 10:28 PM
Check all your timing marks and also see if youre building compresson.

Check spark, check fuel.

Youre missing one of the following. Timing, compression, spark, fuel.

3sgte@daspeedof
06-13-2007, 10:48 PM
I have fuel I can smell it in the intake manifold when I take off the ic. I know there is compression as its very hard to turn the crank. I'm going to go out and check for spark in a little bit. I'm soo almost ready to give up.

T-spoon
06-13-2007, 11:04 PM
I have fuel I can smell it in the intake manifold when I take off the ic. I know there is compression as its very hard to turn the crank. I'm going to go out and check for spark in a little bit. I'm soo almost ready to give up.

Hard to turn the crank doesn't necessarily mean you have compression does it? Compression test + checking timing couldn't hurt I reck'n. Heck, I had compression with a no start issue and timing was still too badly off to start.

Luni
06-14-2007, 12:21 AM
Yeah, if timing is off, it will still build what you might thing "normal" compression, but it isnt opening and closing at the right intervals to RUN.

You need to check your timing marks. Line your crank up to 0 on the pulley mark, and check your cam marks by pulling the timing cover off.

3sgte@daspeedof
06-14-2007, 12:35 AM
Timing is set correctly, both cam gears are set with the timing marks on top of the cam shafts. Crank pully mark is at 0degrees. I've done it about 4 or 5 times now, its probably the thing I hate most about re-building this motor. But I know its on the money.

3sgte@daspeedof
06-14-2007, 02:50 AM
I'm an idiot, I'm sorry guys, the battery was completely dead, thats why when I was trying to boost it, it wouldn't start.

I just got her started, and boy am I excited.

1990CelicaGT-S
06-14-2007, 02:54 AM
It's always the simplest things. Like that guy on here who had built a motor and couldn't get it started. He was just about to sell it and realized he had the filter blocked off.

T-spoon
06-14-2007, 03:34 PM
I'm an idiot, I'm sorry guys, the battery was completely dead, thats why when I was trying to boost it, it wouldn't start.

I just got her started, and boy am I excited.

Heheheh, that's why I like having a voltage read-out on my turbo timer. Several times that's all it took to know I needed to charge up the booster or pull the radiator fan fuse to get more start-up voltage.

3sgte@daspeedof
06-14-2007, 04:23 PM
Well I'm still an idiot, I only half ass charged the battery, drove home last night, and go to start it this morning, and it wouldn't start. Do'ah.....I don't know what I was thinking but it drove amazing last night.

I'm charging the battery right now at work, bused it in with a battery in my hand. The looks I got but damn it just felt nice to know its running again.

Ajilon
06-16-2007, 03:58 AM
God this is so gonna be me doing this swap. it just seems like something I would do.

3sgte@daspeedof
08-03-2007, 10:21 PM
Well if this doesn't take the cake.
I took my car to a shop. Because it died on me almost a month ago. Wouldn't start, so in troubleshooting he tells me I have no compression across all cylinders. Tells me I've broken my timing belt and due to one of my pullies sezzing up.
So I tell him go ahead and fix the belt and pully.
That was last friday.
Today I call as I was expecting it finished on monday, call him up and he tells me he things its the head gasket. Goes on to tell me that the arp studs on the intake side are toruqed to spec. but that the front exhaust ones are soo lose. and that he has retoruqed them but still no compression across the whole motor, and that I need to replace my cometic metal hg as its blown. Or that I've blown every piston ring at the same time.
I don't even know how this is possible.
So now I'm trying to figure out if I have anyother options other then cracking into this motor again for the 4th time since april? Ideas, questions, comments. I just don't know what to do.

T-spoon
08-03-2007, 11:34 PM
Whoa whoa wait. A HG torqued to spec, even blown, I seriously doubt is going to lack compression completely. That doesn't sound right to me at all. It IS a good idea to retorque ARPs a couple times after the initial install (I did 500 and 2000 miles). I couldn't guess what's wrong but that diagnosis is funky, it sounds like the kind of thing people say when they see aftermarket parts and aren't sure what's up.

Shadowlife25
08-04-2007, 02:53 AM
I agree. Are there any reputable tuner shops in your area?