PDA

View Full Version : best body filler from wal-mart

celicaGT90_05
06-11-2007, 06:15 AM
Anyone know what the best body filler is that I can get from walmart? I started doin body work on the ranger today and of course I gotta have somethin to smoothen out all those little dings that come from hammering out dents, and I only plan to vising wal-mart so what does everyone recommend? Thanks!

TEAMFaint
06-11-2007, 06:31 AM
If you use something from your local Wal-Mart you put on your car, ESPECIALLY when it comes to bodywork. You should not be working on a vehicle. I'm sorry.

andy
06-11-2007, 06:38 AM
the preimium gold stuff.

Murgatroy
06-11-2007, 06:42 AM
The Bondo sold at Wal-Mart is no different than the Bondo sold anywhere else... I don't see how it coming from Wal-Mart means he has no clue what he is doing. He already stated the dents have been beat out.

Regular old Bondo plastic body filler is fine. I have used it countless times. Just remember to use thin coats. The thicker the stuff is, the more prone to breaking it will be. Make sure you prep the area really good. Make sure it is sealed. If water gets behind it, it WILL ruin it.

celicaGT90_05
06-11-2007, 06:50 AM
The Bondo sold at Wal-Mart is no different than the Bondo sold anywhere else... I don't see how it coming from Wal-Mart means he has no clue what he is doing. He already stated the dents have been beat out.

Thats what I was thinkin...wal-mart sells the same stuff that autozone or advance sells, I mean its not like wal-mart produces the stuff

celicaGT90_05
06-11-2007, 06:50 AM
oh yeah and I have some bondo but have heard theres stuff better than it, just dont remember what

TEAMFaint
06-11-2007, 07:00 AM
Truthfully half of the stuff thats sold at Autozone and Crappy Tire is all garbage too.

You'll never see a bodyshop getting their putty from either of those retailers.

celicaGT90_05
06-11-2007, 07:01 AM
any examples as for why its crappy?

celica9303
06-11-2007, 07:57 AM
the bondo(aka body filler ) at wal-mart(i happen to work there) is theb same as or just as good as what bodyshops use. just make sure you mix it with hardener correctly and you should have no problems. thins coats. you work time should be about ten minutes

celicaGT90_05
06-11-2007, 08:00 AM
what is the proper mixture? Last time I used it, it was somewhat pink lol

PhillyDRFT
06-11-2007, 09:45 AM
No No No No and No... there is a lot of misconception here. I don't mean to undermine anyone. Premium body filler and Medium grade are different by the Talc level in them. That is the base mineral. The other agents are the binding materials. Some fillers will also use a mixture of polyester to add a flex strength. This is why you pay more.

All of there recipes are proprietary so there is no way to really know who's product is better chemically. You do get what you pay for. The best way to make your own decision is to work with a few of them, buy in small amounts and try each one. Some of them roll on smother and are self leveling, others sand well. I find the normal pink bondo to be a little chalky and it tends to clog up sandpaper quickly.

However you will be able to do a good job at filling the dents no matter what product you use. As long as it is used properly one is just as good as the other for the driveway mechanic.

Body filler should NEVER be put on in layers. It can however stack a few layers on top of one another but you should try to cover your area as well as possible with one swoop. Normal talc body fillers stay effective upto 1/8th of an inch. Thats a LOT! If Filler layers are stacked on top of each other (especially the cheaper ones) they have a paraffin additive in them as a cheaper flex agent. You'll notice it show with the glossy top layer of bondo after you put it on. These will keep coming out over time. They don't usually effect the paint above them since primer is a good sealant. They can however pull gaps in your filler apart. (also keep in mind every layer is a new mix of filler/hardner so they won't be identical compounds in each layer.) Polyester glaze and finishing fillers should be put on in very thin layers, about the thickness of a business card.

Save yourself time. get it as flat as possible before adding filler. make any high spots into low spots. make new tiny dents in the high spots with a pick and a hammer if you have to. Try your best to get a good sweep over the area. you can keep your layer high. keep an eye on the filler. once it gets to a mozerella texture. you can hit it with 80 grit sandpaper to knock it down and ROUGHLY shape out your form. leave excess for the next sanding. Let it fully cure!!! leave that shit alone for as long as you can. Then follow it up with 220grit and work your way down.

The proper mix for bondo I believe is something like 1/20parts it's very minute and that is for around 65* F. The mix depends on the temperature. If it's hot use less hardner. If it's cold use more.

Good luck with your body work. Take your time and it'll come out great. Theres nothing wrong with bondo. It just takes a little more work to get a better end result. But for the price difference it's worth it.

celicaGT90_05
06-11-2007, 07:06 PM
cool, thanks for the tips guys, I'll take pics so you can see how it turns out when I get done.

celica9303
06-11-2007, 07:30 PM
No No No No and No... there is a lot of misconception here. I don't mean to undermine anyone. Premium body filler and Medium grade are different by the Talc level in them. That is the base mineral. The other agents are the binding materials. Some fillers will also use a mixture of polyester to add a flex strength. This is why you pay more.

All of there recipes are proprietary so there is no way to really know who's product is better chemically. You do get what you pay for. The best way to make your own decision is to work with a few of them, buy in small amounts and try each one. Some of them roll on smother and are self leveling, others sand well. I find the normal pink bondo to be a little chalky and it tends to clog up sandpaper quickly.

However you will be able to do a good job at filling the dents no matter what product you use. As long as it is used properly one is just as good as the other for the driveway mechanic.

Body filler should NEVER be put on in layers. It can however stack a few layers on top of one another but you should try to cover your area as well as possible with one swoop. Normal talc body fillers stay effective upto 1/8th of an inch. Thats a LOT! If Filler layers are stacked on top of each other (especially the cheaper ones) they have a paraffin additive in them as a cheaper flex agent. You'll notice it show with the glossy top layer of bondo after you put it on. These will keep coming out over time. They don't usually effect the paint above them since primer is a good sealant. They can however pull gaps in your filler apart. (also keep in mind every layer is a new mix of filler/hardner so they won't be identical compounds in each layer.) Polyester glaze and finishing fillers should be put on in very thin layers, about the thickness of a business card.

Save yourself time. get it as flat as possible before adding filler. make any high spots into low spots. make new tiny dents in the high spots with a pick and a hammer if you have to. Try your best to get a good sweep over the area. you can keep your layer high. keep an eye on the filler. once it gets to a mozerella texture. you can hit it with 80 grit sandpaper to knock it down and ROUGHLY shape out your form. leave excess for the next sanding. Let it fully cure!!! leave that shit alone for as long as you can. Then follow it up with 220grit and work your way down.

The proper mix for bondo I believe is something like 1/20parts it's very minute and that is for around 65* F. The mix depends on the temperature. If it's hot use less hardner. If it's cold use more.

Good luck with your body work. Take your time and it'll come out great. Theres nothing wrong with bondo. It just takes a little more work to get a better end result. But for the price difference it's worth it.

agreed

InitialD93
06-12-2007, 03:02 AM
I have always used Rage and it seems to turn out pretty well... rage is green not pink(not that the color matters)

celicaGT90_05
06-12-2007, 05:22 AM
cool, I decided to go ahead and use the bondo I had sittin around, did all the filling and sanding today. Actually right this second I'm getting ready for primer, rinsed off all the dust and waiting for them to dry ooo I cant wait! haha next I gotta finish up this one little piece that lines the bottom of the grill and straiten out the bumper a little, then after that when I get this all done I get to start workin on the doors, woo fun