PDA

View Full Version : Importing a RHD st185 that is currently a Canadian vehicle..

burnyd
06-10-2007, 08:43 PM
Now does anyone have any experience to bring one of these to the states and make it already for the states already???? I have no clue...Im going to check with my local DMV on monday but if anyone has any hints or know ofs.. let me know.

Cavanagh
06-10-2007, 09:12 PM
OK, Do you want the MR2 back, the S13, or the ST185? God damnit Pick! :cool: :hehe:

burnyd
06-10-2007, 10:15 PM
OK, Do you want the MR2 back, the S13, or the ST185? God damnit Pick! :cool: :hehe:

yes the Jdm st185 rhd car would be amazing... just have to get it legally regged in Pennsylvania... I can get it over the border with customs without a problem... being that my buddy is a Canadian citizen.

TEAMFaint
06-10-2007, 10:48 PM
Im pretty sure ive seen this discussed before. Here is the thing my good man:

JDM Vehicles do not have VIN #'s, they have serial numbers. Thus being the chasis code, and then the number of the vehicle of when it was produced:
ie. ST1850234, I forget how many digits they are, I would have to check my papers. But this just means its a ST185 and its the 234th built.

Now the thing is with insurance, is any vehicle after 1990 needs to have a 13 digit VIN number to be insured/registered.

When the vehicle is landed in Canada and being insured, the vehicle is not given a VIN number at all, it is just insured as its serial number. This means VERY VERY cheap insurance. My 1990 ST185 is insured as a 84 Celica GT, and it was changed on the pink card itself that is it a 1990 Celica GT. Thats it, thats all. My insurance is insane cheap.

Now the problem in the US is that they will not register a vehicle unless it does have a VIN # unless it is a certain amount of years old. Thus it does not matter whether it is already landed in Canada.

I have seen some cars done, I dont know if they had VIN #'s swapped or what exactly happened. But this is the jist of it.

Goodluck with your hunt! They are fun cars for sure. RHD is the way to go :D

burnyd
06-10-2007, 11:02 PM
^^ well talking to him, hes in ontario btw.... he says that when it came over here he regged a 12 digit vin # for the car.. .how that works I have no idea.. but about the chasis code he said the same exact thing.. .so Im wondering what he is talking about as far as the vin # and how the fuck he would enter in a Vin # ? eh? Im going to call him and ask wtf lol...

TEAMFaint
06-10-2007, 11:10 PM
Well I wish ya luck man. You'll enjoy the car so much.

It is possible that a VIN number was rigged onto the car, not sure how, but I have heard it being done before.

Call him, get the actual VIN number if it was assigned, call your insurance company, see what they say. Be straight forward about it. Tell them you are getting a RHD that is currently registered in Canada and if its able to be brought down to your state to be a daily driver. Or if you want, call numerous insurance companies that you are not affiliated with, if they say no, just say thanks and hang up, no harm done. Find one that says yes, and then bring the bitch down to you :D

burnyd
06-10-2007, 11:29 PM
and its a chasis code followed by a 6 digit number lol..... there is no vin apparently in BC you can regrister a car without a VIN .... so wether or not it is in Canada does not matter... this is going to be friggen retarded.

Melchior
06-10-2007, 11:58 PM
You can't register a car without a vin here, and all imports that are to be driven here MUST be issued a proper vin.

NDMstang65
06-11-2007, 12:24 AM
many ways of getting around it...granted it technically isn't legal

but what dmv don't know aint gonna hurt them either

burnyd
06-11-2007, 02:19 AM
many ways of getting around it...granted it technically isn't legal

but what dmv don't know aint gonna hurt them either

thats true but thats a great way to go to jail and get my car impounded.

burnyd
06-11-2007, 04:08 AM
well looks like I have to talk to this one dmv tomorrow... theres a possibility sd regeristering it as a hot rod / classic car... what I would have to do here in PA is send the title in from ontario to get reconstructed then get it back with a PA title.. the process can take up to a month but if it works it would be well worth it.

Cavanagh
06-11-2007, 05:16 AM
Hell Ya! 100% worth it.

TEAMFaint
06-11-2007, 05:33 AM
Yah they are fun cars.

Any info on the one you are lookin at gettin?

Narrow body? :)
You know you want one like mine ;)

burnyd
06-11-2007, 05:38 AM
Yah they are fun cars.

Any info on the one you are lookin at gettin?

Narrow body? :)
You know you want one like mine ;)

well good friend, unfortunately is a narrowbody. It does have 80km on it which is like 60k miles here in america I do believe.. just stock with wheels on it and a 3" exhaust... but being in the condition it is and how rare they are if I have one in the states its not going to get a whole extreme amount of shit done to it.. it would only get suspension and get my w2a intercooler on it and thats pretty much it... considering how rare it is I wouldnt want to fuck it up.

ScottGT-S
06-11-2007, 07:20 AM
Before June 1st 07 all jdm imported cars needed to obtain a BC VIN # before being registered. After this date vehicles are allowed to register JDM Vins...... sounds like you may want to get this taken care of asap before VIN rules change in other provinces. Basically what I'm saying is import a car with a Canadian assigned VIN ;)

if it doesnt have one, ask the seller to get one as it is only $25.

2kSnakEater
06-11-2007, 03:31 PM
there are alot of ways to do it Illegaly, but like previously stated what the DMV doesnt know wont hurt them.

Legaly you might as well look into importing an R34 GT-R cause it damm near imposible.

TEAMFaint
06-11-2007, 06:44 PM
Nothin wrong with the narrowbody man.
Lightest ST185 produced, absolutely nothing wrong with that. :D
1 mile = 2.2 km's. So divide 80 by 2.2.

That thing has about 49,709 miles on it :)

burnyd
06-11-2007, 06:54 PM
believe me its killing me I just want to do this the legal way.

TEAMFaint
06-14-2007, 02:34 AM
So I see you are selling the W2A intercooler because you said the alltrac you bought has a FMIC :)

Lets see this Alltrac.

LETS SEE IT! :)