PDA

View Full Version : 6th/7th gen measurments and pics wanted...

netman86
06-08-2007, 01:24 AM
I'm trying to figure out how much crap you can fit in the back of a 6th/7th gen celica liftback...

I hear you can fold the rear seats down- increasing the storage space in the back. True?

I found out that the 7th gens are 7" shorter bumper to bumper, and the wheelbase is a good 3" longer... I like this, but the 7ths are alot newer, and people tell me they're less reliable.
I'm looking to replace my 93 oldsmobile- I need something short, fairly fuel effecient, and I need to be able to put some crap in the back (being used for work as well as personal, work requires transportation of some fairly large printers/servers, and alot of in-town parking) I decided that the celica is short, looks pretty good, and a liftback /should/ have more than enough storage in the back...

BUT, I cant seem to find any information on how big the back is (when the rear seat is down/up) (width, depth, height), or ANY darn pics of the inside of the car, other than the seats and dash.

So, I'm asking here- 6th and 7th gen liftback celica owners with a camera, tape, and a few extra mins- help me out!

andy
06-08-2007, 02:16 AM
less reliable, no. but having seen both, id say the 7th gen is bigger with the seats down, but not by much.

netman86
06-08-2007, 04:10 AM
That is a good start- as its shorter on the outside- good for the parking spaces up here, where all the roads in town were made for horse and buggy >_<

grayscale
06-08-2007, 05:06 AM
5g and 6g are fairly close in design, not sure if 6g or 7g is bigger, although I can say I've fit some amazing things into my 5g such as a dishwasher, 25gal/5hp air comperssor, 416lbs of stainless steel, Snapon rollaround top and bottom tool box, and full loads of camping equipment enough to last a week. Yes, you can fit just about anything you want into a liftback- as long as you carry a spare bungy cord or two that is. :bigthumbu

MCcelica
06-08-2007, 07:29 AM
An old buddy of mine had a 7g that he fit an entire drum set, 2 guitar amps and one keyboard into. Only reason he fit it all is cause I helped him and I'm a ninja at the car packing. I'll get a pic of my 7g's trunk as is maybe tomorrow if I remember.

PhillyDRFT
06-08-2007, 09:55 AM
Speaking of shit you can fit in a 5th gen. Just last week I brought home a ton of lumber in kotah's GT-S. We had enough room to probly fit 10+ 4x4x8's. You can close the hatch and still fit about 6 in if you let them into the passenger seat.

andy
06-08-2007, 06:52 PM
lift back ftw!

netman86
06-10-2007, 04:20 AM
still hoping someone could tell me how big the back of a 6th/7th is with the seats down, and get some pics! weekend is half over

netman86
06-10-2007, 03:37 PM
I was just reading something that really made me worry- do celicas have a timing belt, or a timing chain? Or does it depend on the motor?
I really don't want a timing belt, my luck is it would snap, and all would end.

edit: Actually it would also make sense to ask if its an interference engine or not... It probably is, but its definitely something to know...

grayscale
06-10-2007, 05:26 PM
Yes, all of them have timing belts and the 6g engines are non-interference, not sure about the 7g engines. I believe Toyota has the longest lasting belts ever made. I've seen close to 200k miles on original belts. They are also very easy to change. I prefer a belt over a chain, even though a chain may last longer, when it goes it's 10x the work of doing a belt and typically twice as much money if not more, and since you are looking at used cars, if you buy a chain drive, it's already going to be half used up.

grayscale
06-10-2007, 05:28 PM
I'll get a pic of my 7g's trunk as is maybe tomorrow if I remember.
Don't you have a 6and7g? If you don't have time to measure maybe you could just lay something in each one for size ref when you snap a pic.

netman86
06-10-2007, 05:56 PM
if its non-interference i wont worry, as a belt failure doesn't mean that turning the key destroys my engine :) I hope the 7's are also non interference.

cant wait for pics! I'm so exited to finally be deciding on what I want for my next car...

T-spoon
06-11-2007, 06:06 AM
7th gens are interference and use a chain. The good news is the chains almost NEVER break. The bad news is, if they do, blech. The news that makes it a bit of a non issue is that more 2zz's are blown up by mis-shifting than anything relating to timing chain issues :hehe:

grayscale
06-11-2007, 11:17 AM
^Is that all 7g engines or just the 2zz's that are chains?

netman86
06-11-2007, 04:31 PM
I'm also not good at shifting a stick- I kind of want one, but i'd be learning on this car.
Good to know that the 7's are a chain, pretty sure a chain would take alot of abuse to break. On the other hand, being interference, if it breaks and you try to start it again (or engage the tranny to push the engine) its all over...

I'm starting to think that between the 6ths and the 7ths that i cant choose which i like more. The 7ths are shorter, and possibly hold more inside... but the 6ths sound a little more reliable (and look better)

netman86
06-14-2007, 12:37 AM
bumpy bumpy, still trying to figure out which has more space in the rear!

Does one have a better turning radius than another?