PDA

View Full Version : prelude scared me

jason
06-07-2007, 04:53 AM
Passed a prelude ('94-ish) leisurely on the highway and he didn't think twice about me. We get close to the offramp bridging to another highway and he barrels down on me from behind and midway through the corkscrew he switches lanes to pass me on the inside. From this point I pushed it through the turn and so did he. Once we hit the straight he floored it and I followed a split second later (I'm in third gear). I pulled decently on him but not ridiculously like I was expecting. I shift into fourth and that's when I start to pull hard...still...only boosted cars have run that close to me. We offramped that second highway at the same exit and he pulled next to me to turn the opposite way at the light. "Turbo?" he shouts. I nodded, "You?". "Nah, 75 shot"....then we went our ways. I was worried he was NA....whew :D

burnyd
06-07-2007, 05:04 AM
jason you have more stories than dr seuse.... where do you live? I want to give you a race with another ctech member.

jason
06-07-2007, 07:40 AM
I'm in Portland Oregon....neighboring burb to Sean. How are you going to assume you can order up a race with another ctech member if you didn't know where I live?

Sounds as though you want to call bullshit?

MCcelica
06-07-2007, 07:57 AM
I raced a boosted contour sxt tonight :hehe: It actually almost kept up with the 7th gen :laugh: Not sure how much it was boostin though. Prolly not much.

jason
06-07-2007, 08:02 AM
You didn't get to talk to him? Reason I ask is how you knew it was boosted...BOV maybe? I'm assuming they don't come factory boosted which is why you added that it was. I'm not sure I've ever seen one...

insomnak8702
06-07-2007, 08:12 AM
never seen any pics of your car jason.. mind posting up some?

jason
06-07-2007, 08:52 AM
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/1/1/7/9/IMG_0515.JPG
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/1/1/7/9/IMG_0516.JPG
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/1/1/7/9/132937121029.jpg
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/1/1/7/9/132936967557.jpg
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/1/1/7/9/1077578767_ORIG.jpg
And the newest addition:
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/1/1/7/9/SSPX0050.JPG

That's about all I have of her

ciento44
06-07-2007, 09:12 AM
I raced a boosted contour sxt tonight :hehe: It actually almost kept up with the 7th gen :laugh: Not sure how much it was boostin though. Prolly not much.

Probably like... 2-4psi, otherwise he probably would have kept up with no problems. :P

91 Celica GT-S
06-08-2007, 04:38 AM
Jason
i have a red celica ordered a rc bumper (black) and just got a silver all trac hood for it. havent put it all together cause i thought itd look wierd. now i know i really should wait to get them painted before putting them on

grayscale
06-08-2007, 06:00 AM
Meh, not surprised by the Prelude. I've always had a good amount of respect for them, the only Honda I ever liked. 93-96 vtec was 190(ish)hp, and with some mods could be running close to a stock 3sgte. BTW, how do you know he sprayed it? ;)

celicaGT90_05
06-08-2007, 09:09 AM
I like that muffler you have jason, what kind is that and link to where I can get one?

jason
06-08-2007, 04:23 PM
Jason
i have a red celica ordered a rc bumper (black) and just got a silver all trac hood for it. havent put it all together cause i thought itd look wierd. now i know i really should wait to get them painted before putting them on

Hahah, I couldn't care less about my multicolored scheme I've got going on, people know it's a work in progress. But if you don't have to wait long to put them on painted then go for it. As long as it goes, the show can wait for later.

BTW, how do you know he sprayed it?
Hmmm....there was a wink after that question so I don't know how to take it :D If I take it seriously, then he was running about as fast as my buddies S2000 and bolt-ons aren't going to net him more than 70hp (buddies S2K not stock).

I like that muffler you have jason, what kind is that and link to where I can get one?
Thanks man, It's a magnaflow race-core muffler, Part# 14819 shown here:
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=main&id=791
Your local exhaust shop should be able to order one if you can't from there.

andy
06-08-2007, 06:49 PM
ummm, so is your fmic hooked up? cause i see both in your pics.

burnyd
06-08-2007, 07:11 PM

its twin intercooler turbo duh.

3sgte@daspeedof
06-08-2007, 07:23 PM

The front mount is not hooked up if you look at the front mount in the first pick you can see the end tanks with no pipes connected to it.

celicaGT90_05
06-08-2007, 10:36 PM
Thanks man, It's a magnaflow race-core muffler, Part# 14819 shown here:
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=main&id=791
Your local exhaust shop should be able to order one if you can't from there.

Had a feeling it was a magnaflow haha I'm not a huge fan of magnaflow design, but I like the way it looks so I might have to give it a try, hows it sound?

jason
06-09-2007, 12:48 AM
Had a feeling it was a magnaflow haha I'm not a huge fan of magnaflow design, but I like the way it looks so I might have to give it a try, hows it sound?

Sounds great, nice and low, sounds burly. Why not a fan of the design? They're high quality mufflers.

The car is twin-charged, the top-mount handles the supercharger, FMIC for the turbo. :wiggle: J/K FMIC is not piped, I've waited a long time 'cause I wanted to clock the turbo first. Just ordered aluminum piping for it two days ago actually. I have a 3sge intake mani in the garage and I just got paid today so I'm ordering the ct26 reclocking bracket whenever my paycheck posts. Hopefully I'll have it hooked up here in a couple weeks....'bout time. I'm kinda scared about getting into the intake mani swap though. Oh well....

celicaGT90_05
06-09-2007, 12:56 AM
They're high quality mufflers

True, they are well built, but the reason I dont like them is cuz all they are is a strait through vented pipe with insulation, which is about the same as anything else out on the market, but I dont know why they get that low resonance. Like I said though I'm probably gonna give it a try, I like low sounded cars haha

Cavanagh
06-09-2007, 04:14 AM
Preludes dont scare me, but the vtec does...

(sorry, i have to make a vtec/vtak comment everytime someone mentions a Honda)

celicaGT90_05
06-09-2007, 04:23 AM
I like 2nd gen ludes

jason
06-09-2007, 05:28 AM
True, they are well built, but the reason I dont like them is cuz all they are is a strait through vented pipe with insulation, which is about the same as anything else out on the market

That's pretty much the idea though when you're wanting hp...you don't want anything but straight in the pipes. Plus they're not going to start rattling or sounding like a fartcan after age like "anything else" out on the market. I don't think you'll be disappointed if you go magnaflow. Just my 2cents

celicaGT90_05
06-09-2007, 05:45 AM
ACTUALLY thats true with turboed motors, but not with NA motors, NA motors actually need back pressure but not usually as much as they come with from the factory. Thats why I like flowmaster, they are well designed with absolutely no insulation, just metal panels welded in specific areas. I mean honestly, it doesnt take much to engineer a can with a pipe in it lol I'm not necessarily bashing magnaflow, but their design isn't always the best. But, I am planning to drop a 3SGTE in it so it'll be cool. Sorry for soundin like I'm bashin on your muffler or magnaflow as a whole, just sayin, but I do love the way they look

jason
06-09-2007, 05:58 AM
nah, don't worry dood. Like I said, I couldn't care less what people think. They think it's ugly, slow, whatever...I actually looked into flowmaster too, like them.

celicaGT90_05
06-09-2007, 07:12 AM
yeah I put a flowmaster on my grand prix, sound smooth with kind of a classy tone, very suiting for the car. But anyway yeah thanks for tellin me who made it, I'm gonna pick one out for my car when I get the cash and time. First I gotta make sure which body kit I want if any to make sure its lined up properly haha I gotta say I think magnaflow makes the best lookin muffler tips out there and they do have a nice powerful tone, so magnaflow is my runner up for mufflers and priority for high flow cats

jason
06-09-2007, 05:01 PM
I'll take a vid of my exhaust sound, see if I can upload it to streetfire or something...give you an idea. Don't know if I can get to it today though.

Cavanagh
06-09-2007, 08:37 PM
And how about of you revvin' up that 3s? :D

celicaGT90_05
06-09-2007, 10:28 PM
I'll take a vid of my exhaust sound, see if I can upload it to streetfire or something...give you an idea. Don't know if I can get to it today though.

Sounds cool, was gonna ask if you would haha

jason
06-10-2007, 12:44 AM
And how about of you revvin' up that 3s? :D

Oh, for sure, can't have an exhaust vid of just idle...unfortunately, they do exist and it makes for a waste of a click on the pc :bigthumbu

celicaGT90_05
06-10-2007, 12:58 AM
oh yeah I know. One of the funniest things I saw was a trans am with dual magnaflows, the vid was alright, but someone left a comment saying trans ams are like tampons...and you know the rest, but this guys account name was somethin like hondacivic4life :lolhittin

jason
06-11-2007, 05:46 AM
Damn....I took a video and am uploading it to streetfire but...let's say it's less than quick. It IS a big file though...it'll be up tomorrow for sure.

celicaGT90_05
06-11-2007, 06:10 AM
haha alright just let us know

celica91gts
06-11-2007, 10:52 AM
Jason

damn.... fighting words.......

jason
06-11-2007, 05:25 PM
meh, comments like that don't bug me. I didn't read about him needing to sufficiently dissipate heat or cool a TMIC so if he just wants to look good then that's his cup of tea. Do videos posted to streetfire usually have no sound until "approved by an admin"? 'Cause it's up but...no sound. :ugh:

celicaGT90_05
06-11-2007, 06:23 PM
I always use photobucket to load vids, but I dont know why streetfire wouldnt have sound

jason
06-11-2007, 06:32 PM
Weird....it just wouldn't work when I was using the flashplayer but it works when I switch to windows media player.
http://thumbs.vidiac.com/5d69c955-ebc6-47c4-99ae-994a001b20e0.jpg (http://videos.streetfire.net/video/5d69c955-ebc6-47c4-99ae-994a001b20e0.htm)Click here to see Video (http://videos.streetfire.net/video/5d69c955-ebc6-47c4-99ae-994a001b20e0.htm)
The camera was too close to the muffler I guess, you can only hear it clear at really low blips of the throttle or idle. If you want a clearer clip lemme know.

celicaGT90_05
06-11-2007, 07:31 PM
doesnt sound bad, but a clearer video would be nice, it does sounds kinda muffled and bleh when you rev it haha but I like it

jason
06-11-2007, 11:18 PM
Hahah, I took a good 30 minutes to go out to a nearby country road and set up my camera on some dood's mailbox...drive away and then back by it...only to get a good 1 second of clear driveby madness because of fawking wind! ...More to come later, I guess

celicaGT90_05
06-12-2007, 12:20 AM
lol its no big deal man, dont stress yourself out over it

jason
06-12-2007, 12:22 AM
time go to buy oregon scientific's sport cam...only $100 but can't afford it right now. FMIC, brakes, body, paint...too many other projects. Taking donations :D

Cavanagh
06-12-2007, 01:09 AM
Wow that muffler really does give it a low pitch sound. :bigthumbu

Sean
06-12-2007, 06:45 AM
Magnaflow mufflers are the shit!

Yours would sound better if you took out that resonator!

So you didnt blow up your engine? :hehe: what happened with that?

jason
06-12-2007, 08:08 AM
I had the resonator taken out....still have the high-flow cat in. I opted to buy my piping for the FMIC instead of repiping my exhaust, that'll come later. By blow up the motor do you mean the alcohol-injection?

Sean
06-12-2007, 08:34 AM
You were telling me you had a bunch of knocking or something? Havent talked to you in a while about it.

Finals week next week :stab:

jason
06-12-2007, 02:56 PM
Oh, the knocking. It's turned into more of a crunch/thud and it now happens only when the motor mounts flex at the beginning of throttle application/letoff/or engagement. Might be a shredded disc? Dunno...I haven't been able to notice it slipping and it still engages on an e-brake pull. Bushings somewhere? Seems to come from front driver's side. Final's week for me this week except...no finals! :laugh: I have a term paper due tonight and that's it, the rest of my classes organized larger assignments during the term to get rid of the midterm and final, wOOt! Good luck with yours man, we've got to do something to enjoy the weather sometime soon!

Cavanagh
06-13-2007, 04:56 AM
Jason
Harsh.

I would rather rock Jason's well put together Celica then a stock MINT condtion GT/GTS Nice video and pictures! :bigthumbu

celicaGT90_05
06-13-2007, 07:27 AM
yeah I think Jason's is nice, who the hell cares? All cars have to be built from the ground up

jason
06-13-2007, 03:00 PM
Hey, thanks guys...means a lot, honestly.

celicaGT90_05
06-13-2007, 07:44 PM
no problem, my celica is gonna go through the same process

Amaymi
06-16-2007, 10:32 PM
ACTUALLY thats true with turboed motors, but not with NA motors, NA motors actually need back pressure but not usually as much as they come with from the factory. Thats why I like flowmaster, they are well designed with absolutely no insulation, just metal panels welded in specific areas. I mean honestly, it doesnt take much to engineer a can with a pipe in it lol I'm not necessarily bashing magnaflow, but their design isn't always the best. But, I am planning to drop a 3SGTE in it so it'll be cool. Sorry for soundin like I'm bashin on your muffler or magnaflow as a whole, just sayin, but I do love the way they look

Incorrect... read this http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showpost.php?p=29832166&postcount=2

celicaGT90_05
06-16-2007, 11:33 PM
Incorrect... read this http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showpost.php?p=29832166&postcount=2

I dont totally agree, having driven a vehice without a cat, practically no exhaust at all, I can tell you from experience that the motor hated idle, ran rough and blah. Yes it's good to do without backpressure when the motor is in high rev. Having backpressure on an NA motor is a good thing, but not too much of it which is what the factory has. You dont want the backpressure to hold exhaust gases in the motor, but you also dont want the motor to be completely freeflow which is what i'm saying, you lose low end power and when you let off the gas with something like that, you get cold air going back up the tail pipe which causes those popping sounds as the outward pressure is now somewhat pulling in. Believe what you want, I'm not gonna keep arguing, but there's a reason why flowmaster doesnt make a strait pipe surrounded by insulation particals

Amaymi
06-17-2007, 04:24 AM
I understand what you mean but its not backpressure you want. Like from the link said you Never want back pressure. If you ask any engineer on this forum they will tell you that backpressure results in pumping losses and reduced efficiency.
Now what you do want is velocity. For example; Say you take a N/A 2.0 liter motor and you put 1.75 inch piping on it and 3.5 inch piping on it. The 1.75 exhaust is going to have high amounts of back pressure and velocity but will sacrifice efficiency as the large amounts of backpressure will prevent the combustion chambers from fully evacuating the spent gases most of the time. The 3.5 exhaust is going to have lower back pressure but also low velocity. Now since its got low velocity the air isn't going to just move in a straight line, there will be turbulence from faster gases hitting slower gases and such.
Because the smaller piping has high velocity, at low rpm the motor will breath easier than at higher rpm because at low rpm the velocity will cause a vacuum behind it helping it to evacuate the gases, but ONLY at low rpm. At higher rpms the back pressure will cause the motor to choke and have problems moving the substantially larger amounts of gases out of the chambers. Opposingly, with the larger piping the motor will exhale horribly at low rpm since there is no velocity to cause a vacuum in the chambers but will breath much better in the higher rpms since there are no restrictions keep it from expelling the larger amounts of gases.
As the size of the piping of piping increases from ridiculously small to ridiculously big backpressure will drop dramatically as velocity drops at a much smaller rate until you get to the point of maximum efficiency where backpressure reaches 0 and velocity reaches its optimum speed. As you go bigger than that backpressure will increase some but stay close to zero and velocity will dramatically drop.
As I said before you never WANT backpressure. What you want is velocity, velocity will cause a vacuum behind the exiting gases helping to completely evacuate the chamber. But since velocity and backpressure both drop until the critical point a lot of people assume that some backpressure was a good thing. The reason why you will have backpressure in most street exhausts is because in a perfect world the exhaust size would be variable according to engine speed. But since that is not possible a companies strive for a good compromise between low end and high end breathing.
I guess you could consider this example. Race cars, especially F1 cars, put a lot of emphasis on down force. When you are taking a corner you want as much down force ass possible to keep all four tires firmly on the ground. But when your going down the straights you want ass little down force as necessary since too much down force will cause drag and keep you from attaining top speed. However since no F1 track is just straights or just turns they have to make a compromise of how much down force to run. Just enough to keep the tires planted while still allowing the car to go fast down the straights.

Sorry if that was long winded and a little confusing, I'm afraid I'm not a very good teacher just a good mechanical engineer lol. Maybe someone can put it in better words.

Amaymi
06-17-2007, 04:34 AM
I dont totally agree, having driven a vehice without a cat, practically no exhaust at all, I can tell you from experience that the motor hated idle, ran rough and blah. Yes it's good to do without backpressure when the motor is in high rev. Having backpressure on an NA motor is a good thing, but not too much of it which is what the factory has. You dont want the backpressure to hold exhaust gases in the motor, but you also dont want the motor to be completely freeflow which is what i'm saying, you lose low end power and when you let off the gas with something like that, you get cold air going back up the tail pipe which causes those popping sounds as the outward pressure is now somewhat pulling in. Believe what you want, I'm not gonna keep arguing, but there's a reason why flowmaster doesnt make a strait pipe surrounded by insulation particals

I don't mean to argue just inform and i apolgize if it is taken as such. Yes there is a reason why they don't run straight throughs and that is because the shape of the chambers causes just the rite amount of resonance a the right frequencies to get that nice grumbly low powerful note while providing performance. If you notice the commercails and advertising they almost always emphasize exhaust note and tone over performance.

celicaGT90_05
06-17-2007, 05:56 AM
flowmasters are good for performance though, one guy I know has a race car, a street car and slapped a flowmaster on it and saw good results. I'm not saying you really want pressure as in something pushing back in to the motor, I mean you dont want cold air running back up in to the motor, which is why I say strait through like magnaflow is not always so good, and it does make the motor run sloppy, trust me on that. Flowmasters focus on sound cuz everyone on this earth focus's on sound, it's what sells to the general person, but they are also designed to pull exhaust out of the chamber with what they call a "negative backpressure" or a vacuum. Strait through doesnt help pull exhaust out or improve performance at low revs. A friend of mine had a glasspack and when he went back to a factory style exhaust, he gained a lot of lower end torque. Yeah it's good to have low exhaust restriction, but all strait through isn't always best. What I'm trying to say is hard to explain, but I dont think you are getting my point to exactly what I'm trying to say

jason
07-03-2007, 08:25 PM
shamless pitch here for elecrical people to read my post in the elecrical forum about my car not starting. need help asap