PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the 3s-fe engine

Thrill
06-04-2007, 09:43 AM
hey guys, first off ill say that im not that bright as far as celicas go but i learn fast so have patience please. but anyway my questions are 1) has anyone here made a CIA for there 4thgen and if so can i get a link or some info about it or can you reccomend one to buy, 2) is it possible to put turbo on my 89' ST with a few modifications? and lastly, feel free to add me to your aol messenger if you have any advice or more patience for any questions that i might have. thx in advance

89celigt
06-04-2007, 04:39 PM
I did a short ram on my Celi (3sfe) recently. MAF adapter and cone filter, nothing fancy. Noticed some small hp, torque gains in the higher RPMs, but nothing huge.

I've read turboing a 3sfe=blown engine. Everyone suggests an 3sgte engine/ecu swap, but I hear the wiring is a pita. If you're intersted in that, there's tons of info on this site and others to sift through.

-K

Thrill
06-04-2007, 10:50 PM
hey man thx for your time, i appretiate it, ill search the forums more and just read up,

Futant3
06-05-2007, 12:41 AM
I've seen one 3s-fe that was turboed and ran correctly. Unfortunately, to not blow the motor you don't get a ton of power out of it and it's expensive. A engine swap is definitely the way to go if you are looking for a serious improvement and best bang for buck. On the plus side you're ST is the lightest of the celica family.

Wiring gets more complicated the newer a version of 3sgte you use. I've heard that a second gen version of the motor is the best balance between wiring issues and performance gain.

4thgenceli
06-07-2007, 06:45 PM
Turbo 3sfe has been done, but it's a lotta work.

CAI is eaiser. I too have what Futant3 has (replaced entire airbox with cone filter & MAF adaptor).

A full CAI will require a move of the battery to the trunk/cargo area, and routing of the piping thru the fender. There's a big hole there that makes it perfect (where the stock airbox & resonater sits).

I can't find the site that had detailed instructions on it now :( But it can be done with about 15 bux in parts from Home Depot, plus the cone filter (about 20 bux).

Murgatroy
06-08-2007, 10:01 AM
Same here, MAF adapter and a Cone Filter.

phantom240
06-21-2007, 11:10 PM
So back to turboing the FE in the 4th gen... About how many pounds of boost can be safely had? is 150hp a realistic number without internal mods? Also, does anyone know the weight of an ST? I have an '87 and it feels like a featherweight compared to my 240sx. I also have suspension wear, but thats not the point.