PDA

View Full Version : Under hood heat reflective material

smog7
06-02-2007, 05:27 AM
Ok well the material under the hood of my alltrac was really starting to look like a rats nest, so I tore it out. What im wondering is will the paint on the hood now start to crack because of the heat?

Shadowlife25
06-02-2007, 07:29 AM
Not usually. You're still running your heat shields right?(manifold)

smog7
06-02-2007, 10:10 PM
ok cool, yeah the heat shield is still on there, im starting to think that without the insulation the heat escapes faster! yay for free mod.

Fuelish
06-02-2007, 10:19 PM
I've wondered the same, as my vert's hood insulation is looking ratty 'round the edges, thinking of pulling it. Then, I think back to the '91 Tercel we traded in on my wife's '05 'Rolla S - the Tercel had no underhood insulation, and the SuperWhite paint still looked fine (although it would "steam" when stopped at a light in the rain ;) ) I don't go for the "fire suppression" idea that gets tossed about - I think it's designed to cut down on percieved engine noise only....that's my story and am stickin' to it. Now just have to convince myself to actually rip it out...heh ... not that the vert is a particularly quiet ride in the first place...

Corey Darling
06-02-2007, 10:54 PM
I ripped mine out when it was getting ratty, paint still looks great, no cracking above the manifold/turbo. heat shield still in place.

but no mistake, it does get hot to the touch. ive been running it like this for about 2 months now, no problems.

I do however hear some extra vibrations with the liner out. might be the hood because its lost about 5 pounds of water logged insulation.

PhillyDRFT
06-03-2007, 09:17 AM
You're all right, It is mostly for sound deadening. Paint should hold up to the normal operating engine temps. I wouldn't worry about it cracking unless your heating the paint quickly and then driving it into icy cold rain. Since most modern paints have a flex agent in them to withstand the expansion and contraction of metals. Blistering is what you'll be looking for. If you are worried. Fiberglass and any plate aluminum you can find can make very nice and clean looking heat shields for any sensitive areas of your hoods underbelly.

toyotatuner
06-03-2007, 06:40 PM
with aftermarket products...how do people keep their manifold heat sheilds installed? curious if any neg. side effects from not having one?

PhillyDRFT
06-04-2007, 08:44 AM
with aftermarket products...how do people keep their manifold heat sheilds installed? curious if any neg. side effects from not having one?

They don't usually use the stock heat shield. Header wrap is the most common thing I see.