PDA

View Full Version : Two Celica owners ask Questions in this months Turbo magazine

90CelicaST
05-31-2007, 08:06 PM
The first on is Josh who has a 1993 Celica ST, to which the Turbo guys suggest a 3SGTE swap. BUT, they do not provide the most important problem dealing with the ST, the MOUNTS.

Second guy is Dave, with a 1986 Celica GTS, to which the Turbo guys ALSO suggested a 3SGTE. I can type out the questions if you guys want.

burnyd
05-31-2007, 08:09 PM
edited b ecause I do not think before I post.

2kSnakEater
05-31-2007, 08:24 PM
They need to be re-directed to CelicaTech, asking magazines for advise is so 1993.

90CelicaST
05-31-2007, 08:50 PM
Q:I have a 1993 Toyota Celica with a 1.6L motor. I want to install a small turbo that came from a Volvo into my car. I was hoping you could give me some information on how I can go about putting this in my car or if it's even possible.

Thank-you very much.
-Josh Robinson
A:With some work, you could fit that Volvo turbo to your 4A-FE, but before you get carried away with that, have you considered a 3S-GTE engine swap? This 2.0L engine is already turbocharged and, if you buy a complete swap including the fuel pump, computer, and so-on, will get you everything you'll need for a reliable daily driven turbo system that looks like it belongs under your hood. You're Yes, that is how they spelled it Celica's engine bay will readily accept this engine, but your transmission won't work. You won't need to convert to all-wheel drive or even rear-wheel drive like the All-trac or MR2 though. There are front-wheel drive gearboxes that will bolt-up to both your car and the 3S-GTE with a bit of modification like those from higher-model Celicas of your period and V-6 Camrys. You can find one of these turbo engines out of the '86 to '89 JDM GT-Four, U.S. spec Turbo All-trac Celica, or second generation MR2. The 3S-GTE is pretty high tech for its time; it has a CT26 twin-entry turbo and an air-to-air intercooler on some models right from the factory. But back to the 1.6L, which will likely be cheaper for you to turbocharge seeing as how you already have the turbo. The first thing you'll need to find is a manifold and downpipe. There are a few companies out ther who make what you need. You'll also need some sort of intercooler, and this will require you to fabricate piping whether you go with an inexpensive junkyard side-mount setup or an aftermarket front-mount. Add to the list a bypass valve and a higher volume fuel pump and you'll be set for roughly 7 or 8 psi. If you really want to do things right then upgrade your fuel injectors and get yourself some sort of electronic fuel controller. Before doing anything with your 1.6L though, you might want to seriously consider that 3S-GTE; this motor has more potential than yours to begin with and might prove to be the better choice, despite its higher initial cost.
Q:Hello Turbo, my problem is I have a 1986 Toyota Celica GT-S and well the engine is blown. I don't really want to buy a new stock 16-valve twin cam 2.0L engine if you catch my drift. I want to put something into this car to make it fly. My ideal engine was the VTEC, but I'm not really sure if it would bolt-up. Please give me your thoughts on a good, fast engine to put into this car and how I can make it fit.

Thank you all at the magazine,
-Dave
A:
So you're not interested in a 3S-GTE? You should be. This will be a whole lot easier to install than a Honda engine and will give you a lot more power to start with. The procedure for a 3S-GTE swap into your Celica will be similar to what we recommend to Josh, but your're lucky enough to be able to use your stock transmission. A fairly stock 3S-GTE with basic bolt-ons and fuel control can easily get you in the 300hp zone, far more than any naturally aspirated Honda VTEC engine will get you. We don't say all this knock Honda's remarkable I do not agree with that K-series or S2000 engine, but Dave, your GT-S is ready, willing and able to take that turbo motor. The 3S-GTE is really one of the most impressive four-cylinder turbo motors ever made.

2kSnakEater
05-31-2007, 09:12 PM
eeeewww, reading that article made me feel dirty.

toyotatuner
05-31-2007, 10:56 PM
so wait...this guy has a 86 celica and wanted to put in a honda motor? wow it is just sad the type of owners our beautiful cars get stuck with. :sadcry:

PhillyDRFT
06-01-2007, 12:47 AM
I love the part about having to convert the ST to AWD!

90CelicaST
06-01-2007, 02:09 AM
You won't need to convert to all-wheel drive or even rear-wheel drive like the All-trac or MR2 though.

donteatbugs
06-01-2007, 02:14 AM
so i guess this guy doesnt know a lot about celicas but he sure likes the 3sgte.

Cavanagh
06-01-2007, 02:26 AM
"My ideal engine was the VTEC"

:laugh:

Nuff' Said, i can respond right now since im laughing so hard.

celica1990gts
06-02-2007, 05:27 AM
why is it that none these guys check the forums first and save everybody the headache? :lolhittin

bongbbreakin
06-02-2007, 09:03 AM
um we should all email turbo and just flame the shit outta them,

i dont care im doing it, lol, im gonna be like, please do ur research before posting something completely wrong on ur magazine and getting flamed by 3sgte swap guru's, next time please check out celicatech.com and use the search button

1990CelicaGT-S
06-02-2007, 10:36 AM
Oh man, he loves the 3S. Also, he didn't talk about the wiring aspect of it at all.

VikingJZ
06-02-2007, 01:59 PM
He makes it sound as easy as sticking a 302 in a Festiva.

Son of a bitch!

One of us should write in and show them up.

Quoting Red Foreman: "Dumbasses!"

celicatrd93
06-02-2007, 04:30 PM
does guys are dumbasses, they could not find any other stupid questions to ask?

bongbbreakin
06-02-2007, 04:49 PM
im starting the letter right now, what do u guys want me to say...

insomnak8702
06-02-2007, 05:01 PM
"you're" (how turbo spelled it) lack of knowledge on 3sgte swaps made my penis soft.

celicatrd93
06-02-2007, 05:12 PM
or why anwser stupid ass questions and post it in the magazines. :laugh:

Cavanagh
06-02-2007, 06:39 PM
In all honesty, i was surprised they got the right engine code.

VikingJZ
06-02-2007, 07:16 PM
Turbo magazine in general now makes my penis soft.

I'm also surprised at the engine code.

I figured they would have said "That turbo MR2 motor"