PDA

View Full Version : whats best????

Rae X
05-28-2007, 02:39 AM
hey ive been looking around for an engine to drop into my 1980 celica coupe. i figured sticking with a toyota engine would be smart so i was considering buying a supra half cut with a 1jz-gtteu or a 2jz-ge but when i went and talked to my local grease monkeys about it thay suggested dropping an rb20 in. they showed me pics of a 1978 celica coupe they just finished with an rb20 in it. just thought id ask everyone what thiere thoughts are.

RaeX <Brisbane Australia>

burnyd
05-28-2007, 02:47 AM
thats pretty cool and all but I would prolly lsx any rwd car I could.

Rae X
05-28-2007, 03:25 AM
excuse the lack of knowledge lsx?

T-spoon
05-28-2007, 03:38 AM
excuse the lack of knowledge lsx?

LS1 etc. GM v8s found in firebird transams, camaros, Corvettes and such. The newer versions have a different number after the LS I presume, so LSx as a catch-all. Not certain how common those are over there :shrug:

Rae X
05-28-2007, 03:43 AM
no idea i know we have heaps of chev motors over here arnt they owned by gm? would a v8 fit in a celica? i thought it would be pushing it to get a 6 in there i know with the rb20 you have to remove the firewall.

Melchior
05-28-2007, 04:20 AM
Once you consider the turbo hanging off the side of the block (assuming you'll use a T engine, and not the anemic models) the rb will not be that much smaller than a small block in terms of how much room it'll need in the engine bay. It would not be impossible to do, if a straight 6 can go in.

That said, no way in hell i'd use a v8, unless all you wanted to do was drag race it. The rb20 is probably used because it's a little lighter, but more importantly with most of the weight will be behind the front axle, meaning the car will still feel good and handle pretty much like the stock car can.

Mind you, you can just modify the suspension to compensate and still retain stock-like handling I'm sure.

Some of the v8 rx-7 swaps actually manage to put down very impressive handling numbers. And no, I'm not talking about 3rd gen rx-7's, those will handle well with anything in them. I mean first gens.

Rae X
05-28-2007, 04:34 AM
cool thanks melchior what about the 1jz-gtteu or a 2jz-ge? any thoughts?

burnyd
05-28-2007, 05:51 AM
Once you consider the turbo hanging off the side of the block (assuming you'll use a T engine, and not the anemic models) the rb will not be that much smaller than a small block in terms of how much room it'll need in the engine bay. It would not be impossible to do, if a straight 6 can go in.

That said, no way in hell i'd use a v8, unless all you wanted to do was drag race it. The rb20 is probably used because it's a little lighter, but more importantly with most of the weight will be behind the front axle, meaning the car will still feel good and handle pretty much like the stock car can.

Mind you, you can just modify the suspension to compensate and still retain stock-like handling I'm sure.

Some of the v8 rx-7 swaps actually manage to put down very impressive handling numbers. And no, I'm not talking about 3rd gen rx-7's, those will handle well with anything in them. I mean first gens.

an ls1 weighs less than a 3sgte gets better gas mileage and almost makes twice the power.

In aussie world you can get a motor, well an lsx out of alot of gm vehicles.. the one I know is pretty popular over there is the car that looks like a newer elcamino is what we call them the half trucks half car.... they have ls2's in them the 6.0l make really good power and still retain really good gas mileage and there really lightweight motors.

Rae X
05-28-2007, 06:29 AM
we call them utes and the ones i think you are on about are the holden utes look under http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26433 as there are some pics there of them.

so your suggesting a ls1 or ls2 in an 80 celica coupe?

Murgatroy
05-28-2007, 06:41 AM
The LS1 weighs less than a 3SGTE and makes more power. It is an all aluminum design.

It will fit. A buddy of mine has a 4.3l 90* V6 in a second gen.

If you are not adverse to going outside of a Toyota powerplant, I would go with an LS1. RWD was meant for torque. :hehe:

However if you want to stay with a Toyota you could use a Lexus V8 or go with at 2JZGTE.

Rae X
05-28-2007, 07:04 AM
ahhh k not sure was thinking of saleability (?not sure if thats a word but im going to use it anyway) for afterwards. stick with same brand for loyal toyota people or go power for well just anyone?

a question to all is what would you do if you had a 1980 celica coupe with a 18r currently in it? i was leaning towards getting a supra half cut with a 1jz-gtteu as it is still toyota still sporty and fun, but i am easily persuded to change my mind if everyone one wants to tell me what thay would do in this situation would be great.

all in all its going to be a show car at the end of it a street legal and registed. was told that mustang kits should pretty much bolt on to it so i was going to put a "elenor" mustang kit on it (the same kit as is on the main car from gone in 60 seconds) any other good kits that suit this car would be greatfully appriciated too thanks.

2kSnakEater
05-28-2007, 09:13 AM
It all depends on your budget.

If you have little to no money to work with:

Find an old Toyota Truck or 4runner with a 22rte, they are rare but most people usualy dont know what they have since its just an old truck

medium amount of money:

Get an LSx (x=1,2,6 or 7) The LS1 and LS6 are Gen1 LSx engines, the LS2 and LS7 are Gen2 LSx engines, but remember, the higher the number the higher the power and the more $$ its worth. Get the 6speed ones, I have an LS1/T56 in my T/A and I just love it. You will be able to find LSx motors in alot of the cars that Holden is making right now, like the Monaro/Ute type cars.

If you want a baller setup, and you dont really care how much money your going to spend:

Get a 2jzgte. parts are incredibly expensive for this motor, and you better hope Toyota sold 2jzgte equiped cars in Australia cause you will need to go to the Dealer for almost 98% of the parts that break.

what ever way you go, I wish you luck, just remember to post pics for what ever you happen to do.

2kSnakEater
05-28-2007, 09:17 AM
i was leaning towards getting a supra half cut with a 1jz-gtte as it is still toyota still sporty and fun

Thats 1JZGTE, no matter how many turbos its still only 1 "T". Nissan is the one that doubles the "T" if there are 2 Turbos.

ex. SR20DET, RB26DETT

Rae X
05-28-2007, 11:54 PM
"Thats 1JZGTE, no matter how many turbos its still only 1 "T". Nissan is the one that doubles the "T" if there are 2 Turbos."

that was copied and pasted from a price list from a local engine importer, dose half cuts and combos. sorry im still new at the car thing.

Cavanagh
05-29-2007, 02:43 AM
Theres a site where they put a 318 Mopar V8 in a 3rd gen, its neat.
You always could get was hasnt been mentioned yet, and i think ciento would back me on this 7MGTE. Cheap, needs a headgasket, easy to get power out of, and then your set.

Rae X
05-29-2007, 05:10 AM
"You always could get was hasnt been mentioned yet, and i think ciento would back me on this 7MGTE. Cheap, needs a headgasket, easy to get power out of, and then your set."

what do you mean by needs a headgasket? i can get a 7mgteu for $1660 australian thats with a matching gearbox too, so you think that would be sweet in a gen 2?

Rae X
05-29-2007, 05:22 AM
both the 7m and the ijz and 2jz were used in the supras so which would be best to go for?

T-spoon
05-29-2007, 05:49 AM
both the 7m and the ijz and 2jz were used in the supras so which would be best to go for?

The jz engines are more refined, Toyota did a lot of learning getting the 7m to work, the 1jz and 2jz are better motors. The 7m is still a good motor if you're prepared to do a couple things to make it solid. The benefit of them is availability and price, at least here, I don't know how they compare price wise over there. I would say if price is not an issue, the jz's are the way to go if you want a supra motor.

Rae X
05-29-2007, 06:04 AM
ahhh k, cool thanks. i just want a motor that i can get some chrome for has power and it and its gearbox will pretty much bolt straight in to the 80 coupe celica. will either the 7m or jz do that?

hobbie2k
05-29-2007, 10:04 PM
I used to own a 1980 coupe, too, back when I was living in Adelaide. You can't go wrong with the LSx engines. The Nissan or Toyota inline 6s are great engines, but I'm not sure how well the larger ones will fit (too long, the big difference between the standard Celica and the Celica Supra is the longer engine bay needed to fit the I6 motor). Maybe it'll work, but I think it'll be tight, also, the V8s will offer better balance because they are shorter and sit back further in the chassis.

Of course, there is always the 18RG or 22RE-T options if you want to stick with old school Toyota. I'm not sure if they made a 3sgte that is easily adaptable to longitudinal RWD, but an SR20DET is an option. If you want more NA power and torque but don't want to go to a GM V8, you could always find a 4vzfe (is that the right code?) from a V6 Hilux. There is the Toyota/Lexus V8 as well, (1uzfe?) but that might be kinda spendy and I don't know what kind of tranny options you'll have...

Check out www.classic-celica.com for more specific gen 2 info.

Rae X
05-30-2007, 01:53 AM
thanks hobbie2k you seem to be very aussie based in your car names (eg. hilux) are you i aus or in the states dude?

Rae X <Brisbane Australia>

hobbie2k
05-30-2007, 07:07 PM
thanks hobbie2k you seem to be very aussie based in your car names (eg. hilux) are you i aus or in the states dude?

Rae X <Brisbane Australia>

I'm in the states now (Minneapolis, Minnesota to be specific), but I went to college in Adelaide for three years. I am looking to move back there someday, when I get my student loans paid down some...