PDA

View Full Version : Temporary fix for classic 4th gen starting problem

Futant3
05-26-2007, 07:43 AM
I thought I'd post this just in case people didn't think about it as a temporary fix for the 4th gen starting problem. As we all know the small positive wire that goes from the ignition to the starter deteriorates over the years and causes the car to stop starting. Due to the increased resistance in the wire you don't get enough voltage to spin the starter.

As a long term fix you can either do the relay modification or put in new wiring from the ignition switch. But what to do when the problem is extremely intermittent and you need to get the occasional jump from someone?

Well, you quit asking for a jump and start keeping a 2 or 3 foot piece of copper wire somewhere in your car. Put the car in neutral or out of gear, place the parking brake, turn the key to right before it starts kicking over. Then open the hood, disconnect the small positive lead from the starter, wedge one end of wire into the postive terminal on the battery, touch it to the post on the starter you just disconnected, and while the starter it turning push the throttle open for a second. Voila, should be started, and you just hook up your old wire again.

Works because that wire is busted not your battery and starter. Gotta push the throttle because disconnecting that wire takes a few things out of the cycle like your cold start injector, etc.

Just thought I'd share since it's helped me avoid a lot of unnecessary hassle with an intermittent problem. :bigthumbu

schmooot
05-26-2007, 04:06 PM
good to know if you're stuck somewhere....but the amount of effort you put into doing that would be just as much as putting a relay in IMO

Amaymi
05-28-2007, 03:39 AM
What I did for a long time was just have a momentary switch so I'd turn the key and press the button at the same time that way the cold start worked and the computer didn't throw codes. I latter put in the relay and removed the momentary switch

Futant3
05-28-2007, 06:55 AM
I dunno I think it's less effort all you need is a piece of wire. The reason I do it is because my car starts about 98% of the time. I'm too lazy/lack the time to trace the wire and replace it and don't like the idea of the relay, though I know it works just fine.

Basically it's just so you don't have to worry about getting a jump, and it will work in some cases where the problem is something other than the classic problem.

Rick89GTS
08-15-2007, 05:33 AM
Good idea to also keep a flashlight if you have to do it at night!