PDA

View Full Version : Rear wheel drive

trenteisenbraun
05-23-2007, 06:28 PM
I've been thinking of making my 90 gt rear wheel drive, and wonder what I would have to do to make it work.

Schmleff
05-23-2007, 06:32 PM
lots of the following:

skill
money
time
advil

trenteisenbraun
05-23-2007, 06:42 PM
is there a mounting for a rear differential on the gt or would i have to make my own brackets. also would a driveshaft fit down the middle or is the gt made different than the all trac

Schmleff
05-23-2007, 07:35 PM
is there a mounting for a rear differential on the gt or would i have to make my own brackets. also would a driveshaft fit down the middle or is the gt made different than the all trac

You would have to fabricated everything.

trenteisenbraun
05-23-2007, 07:51 PM
alright, I know the gt has the unities body, would i have to make a frame for it to handle the rear wheel drive? I dont know much about the all trac, do they have a frame? See what I want to do is put a chevy 283 or 350 in it. I work for a place that builds wire harnesses so that wouldn't be a problem and have access to a welder and garage to work on it in. do you think it would be easier to do this with the 3rd gen which were all rwd. I know it will be a lot of work but its just going to be my project. the only thing i could see being a problem is where the engine would sit in the car. any ideas would be usefull

Berg
05-23-2007, 08:19 PM
http://www.toyoland.com/cars/celica-v8.html

There's an idea.

Cheers,
Berg

trenteisenbraun
05-23-2007, 08:32 PM
thanks. yeah this project is still in the research stage so if anybody has any input keep em coming

burnyd
05-23-2007, 08:41 PM
lots of the following:

skill
money
time
advil

true.. even if it started out an alltrac.

Schmleff
05-23-2007, 10:04 PM
I would gut the car and flip it over making the work much easier. You will have to fab and weld in all of the mounts for the rear end. A supra rear end would work. A big v8 is going to twist that body around like a noodle.

It would be cheaper to buy a MkII supra or a rwd celica. keep the other celica to drive while you build a real hot rod. That or swap your celi.

If you have a lot of patience, ability and money go for it!

andy
05-23-2007, 10:49 PM
get a 3rd gen, lot of engine bay room and already rwd. that or a corolla ae86 :hehe:

Physlis
05-23-2007, 10:56 PM
I was going to try the same thing but with a Supra motor. My main question is; would a Supra motor fit in the Celica's engine bay? I got a '90 GT-S, I don't know if that makes any difference. I know that's a little off-topic, but I thought that would be easier to mate the Supra rear-end suggested.

burnyd
05-23-2007, 11:13 PM
^^ No way too big.

T-spoon
05-23-2007, 11:22 PM
^^ No way too big.

Definitely concur, you would be fabbing a new firewall (at least) in addition to the rest of the custom work.

trenteisenbraun
05-24-2007, 02:46 PM
cool thanks guys. one of my friends has a 3rd gen ive been thinking about getting but doesnt have any body panels. on that supra engine I think ive seen it in a celica before on cardomain.com in a 5th gen.

celicaGT90_05
05-24-2007, 05:20 PM
lots of the following:

skill
money
time
advil

All too true :squint:

trenteisenbraun
05-29-2007, 04:31 PM
Alright guys i might have an idea for the rear wheel drive, tell me what you think. I was thinking about getting a little S-10 pickup and use the frame off of that and adjust it as i need and then drop my body onto it with the fabs i need to make it set on there right. I know it wont be as simple as i'm making it sound but I still think it should work.

cms-gt4
05-29-2007, 04:51 PM
I would do some research. Here is how I would go about it.

Locate an alltrac rear cut, or purchase an alltrac rear floor pan from toyota.

Remove old pan, fabricate new driveshaft tunnel and modify firewall to fit new gearbox as well as installing the new rwd floor pan.

Make engine mounts and tranny mounts and well as modify the alltrac mounts for whatever rear end you want to run. Some toyota rear ends may bolt right in.

Engine choice may be tricky. I would look into an altezza gearbox or contact toysport about their rwd gearbox kits for toyotas. They make them for 3sgtes.

Next part pick and engine and shoe horn it in there.

Make sure you research a lot when going in, and get an experienced welder. Its not as easy as cutting some stuff and bolting it in. Things need to be lined up, and it would not hurt to have input from someone who knows chasis design.

trenteisenbraun
05-29-2007, 05:02 PM
thanks for the input. I was just thinking the S-10 would be a little easier to find than a frame for an all trac. I also wanted to put in a chevy 283 in it. I figure I will have to cut it down to match the distance between wheels, and find out what people who do this swap in thier truck put in for the rear differencial.

I know ill have to modify my fire wall and probly my rear end of the car to make it fit right. and god know what else will come up when I try to drop it on there.

The only easy part I see in it is the wiring. I build wire harnesses for a living and those engine dont have much for wiring, which is what I like the most about it.

I know it wont be easy but I dont know anybody else or heard of anyone that has done this. I just figure i dont want to do what everybody else is doing but do something different, one of a kind thing.

cms-gt4
05-29-2007, 05:18 PM
There is a 6th gen that was converted to a rwd drag car with a 3sgte. Wish I could find pics.

I would like to do this project someday.
If I can find a 5th gen cheap that is a rolling chasis. (Found one for 500 once) and if I have time, I am going to do a rwd project someday. Not sure with what engine though.

I have really been kicking around using a TC engine then boosting it. Light and makes decent power plus good diplacement for a 4banger.

trenteisenbraun
05-29-2007, 05:39 PM
yeah i found a 7th gen that they put a 2jz-gte in it that they made for drag. yeah i really like this idea and just trying to find out what people would think and problems i might run into so i can kinda prepare for it. the only problem is once you start doing it there will always be something you didn't expect to happen.

Mr Celica
05-30-2007, 12:20 AM
just get a supra.

donteatbugs
05-30-2007, 03:12 AM
mx73 or mx83 cressida would be a good car to do that is already rwd.

85gtsblackman
05-30-2007, 08:08 AM
my car + a 2jzgte + 1jz head = better and what your talking about, and thousands of dolars cheaper

cms-gt4
05-30-2007, 03:40 PM
Your car + a crystler v8 + 5k cheaper than a 2j-anything.

http://www.toyoland.com/cars/celica-v8.html

Or even better. LSx FTW!

Berg
05-30-2007, 04:51 PM
Hey, isnt that the link I posted earlier in this thread?

Cheers,
Berg

cms-gt4
05-30-2007, 05:14 PM
Oops yeah, but I posted even earlier in another thread. :P

Berg
05-30-2007, 07:21 PM
Ok fine. You win. lol.

Cheers,
Berg

VikingJZ
05-31-2007, 03:58 AM
I'd buy a RWD fifth gen.

Mr Celica
05-31-2007, 04:05 AM
for massive oversteer! hell yea!!!!!!!!!!

VikingJZ
06-01-2007, 10:24 PM
This is just as n00b as the "can i make my celica AWD?????"

Complete with improper punctuation and grammar.

pokemeintheeye
06-02-2007, 09:22 PM
You know. If you want to try something a little more simpler first then go ahead on the 5th gen rwd conversion. I have a 3rd gen gt-s I'd like to get rid of. I'll sell it to you for $400. Its an '85 gt-s. The car runs and drives but it idles rough. I haven't bothered to figure out what the problem is. I'm just gonna assume that the car probably needs a new brake master cylinder. Brakes lose pressure and once you start driving it seems to drive fine. Just makes a noise when idling. There are other issues with the car too.

Slider
06-02-2007, 09:50 PM
Someone did a LS1 swap in a Prelude on honda-tech, crazy amount of custom fabrication, had to use the entire rear end from the Camaro along with some of the steering components. Much easier just to start with a RWD platform.

Murgatroy
06-03-2007, 10:39 AM
Someone did a LS1 swap in a Prelude on honda-tech, crazy amount of custom fabrication, had to use the entire rear end from the Camaro along with some of the steering components. Much easier just to start with a RWD platform.
I thought he used an RX-7 rear?

VikingJZ
06-04-2007, 03:37 AM
Tis why I purchased an SC300

96celica
06-06-2007, 06:20 AM
I'm building a 3sgte RWD 6th gen :eeps:

PhillyDRFT
06-06-2007, 06:29 AM
I'm building a 3sgte RWD 6th gen :eeps:

you're not aloud to mention it anymore unless accompanied by pics.

Murgatroy
06-06-2007, 07:32 AM
I have seen pics somewhere on here of the RWD Curren swap.

To the OP.

Find a reputable Drag Racing shop. Someone there will be able to direct you to someone that can 'back half' your car. Jegs and Summit both sell kits for ~$2500 without a rear end. You can get a Ford 9" cut down to fit, with a good 4 link it will be fine for what you need. Get a good cage put in, have some floor pans and a tranny tunnel fabricated. Get a firewall fabricated where you need it. Jegs and Summit also sell front K members with the motor mounts of your choice. Put it all together. It will take a while and it will be a pain in the ass. But with some dedication you will essentially have a door slammer no different than any Camaro or Mustang door slammer. Just different body panels on it.

I have mentioned this many times to everyone that is curious about making thier car RWD. IMO it is the only feasible way. It is a tried and proven method, just not with this platform. It is not the most 'ethical' way for a Toyota. But you are starting with a factory designed FWD vehicle. The chassis is not the same as the ST1X5 so you will not be able to just 'bolt' in a rear end. You would have to go with a whole new floor pan like Coldiron mentioned.

I have seen Hondas, Cavaliers, Berettas and so forth done like this. I don't recommend it for daily driving, but it would be a lot of fun at a track.

The idea of using the S-10 Chassis would work as well, it would be essentially what I was describing. You would have to chop and channel the body to get it to fit, and cut the frame to get the correct wheel base. This is from the Hot Rod school. It would be no different than trying to fit a `32 Ford body on an S-10 Chassis. Same principle.

Since you are already leaning toward using a Chevy engine, I assume you are not trying to build a 'pure' Toyota. This makes it a lot easier. I would suggest finding a LS1, it is lighter engine and if you are experienced in wiring, you can make it work. I don't care much for a 283. They weren't made to take a whole lot of abuse. If you have one already, that is different. However, if you are set on using a carbed SBC, I would have to lean you toward a 350 4 bolt. They are easy to find. You will make more power out of it more reliably.

This is just my opinion. I used to drag race. I had a `75 Camaro with a best et of 10.91 with a built small block and spray. So I am a little biased. ;)

96celica
06-06-2007, 01:26 PM
you're not aloud to mention it anymore unless accompanied by pics.

pics of my work are around here :bigthumbu
I'll post pics of the bellhousing when it arrives from Australia, but that is goin to take a bit

iwamaryu
06-16-2007, 10:39 AM
on the main topic of how to make your 5gen a rwd. i'm not sure if this is a stupid question. but why can't u take a normal toyota celica gt4 alltrac and take out the out front driveshifts going to each wheel, so u'll be left only with the rear driveshaft powering the rear wheels.

cms-gt4
06-16-2007, 03:59 PM
on the main topic of how to make your 5gen a rwd. i'm not sure if this is a stupid question. but why can't u take a normal toyota celica gt4 alltrac and take out the out front driveshifts going to each wheel, so u'll be left only with the rear driveshaft powering the rear wheels.

Because the transfer case would destroy itself and it is still a lot of weight to carry that does nothing. You might be able to modify the internals of the transfer case to work and remove as much of the transfer case as you can to remove weight.

If I was going though the trouble of doing rwd though, I would turn the engine and get a proper rwd gearbox.

Mr Celica
06-16-2007, 05:36 PM
^x2

squall leonhart
06-26-2007, 06:29 PM
if only toyota would've just made the 5th gen rwd to start with.

as i'm getting ready to sell my mr2 and get a 5th gen again, i find myself very sad about the fwd situation. the 5th gen would be the perfect car if it were rwd. good luck on the project!

ranom01
07-03-2007, 10:19 AM
even if u were to put a gt4 gearbox making it 4wd u hav to cut the floor, boot, n fire wall, the floor has no room for a driveshaft pluys the gasetank is in the may, the boot in a gt4 is about 2 inchs higher to alow room for a diff plus there is no bracketing to hold the diff in place, and the firewall has no room for the rwd part

85gtsblackman
07-03-2007, 06:45 PM
< continuous evil laughter

96celica
07-06-2007, 04:27 PM
you can't use the AWD tranny. it mechanically will not hold up to the task

3sgte motor rotated, 2s bellhousing, Supra W58 transmission and some form of rear end
is really the way to go about it