PDA

View Full Version : Breather filter?

ibanezgfx
02-05-2005, 05:58 PM
i broke my bypass tube thing that goes from the valve cover to the throttle body or wherever. are those breather filter things a good idea? or should i just wait till monday and get a tube from toyota? if i get a breather filter, do i need a certian kind of one with an oil catch thing or what?
thanks

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/ibanezgfx/Carvin015.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/ibanezgfx/Carvin013.jpg

Hooligan
02-05-2005, 06:09 PM
I would just go to an auto parts store and get a length of rubber hose. It won't be molded like the current one, but it really doesn't need to be.

ibanezgfx
02-05-2005, 06:27 PM
i didnt even think about that....

Slider
02-05-2005, 09:05 PM
What would a breather fitler do? Would it be any better compared to the hose that's already there.

ibanezgfx
02-05-2005, 10:04 PM
doubt it.
i just wrapped some electrical tape around the crack for now. the hose i got is bright orange, so im painting it

Abacaba
02-05-2005, 11:15 PM
Doesn't that setup help relieve internal engine pressure (hinders gas flow)? Wouldn't replacing the hose w/ a breather filter hurt the engine (put pressure on internal parts and gaskets)?

85gtsblackman
02-06-2005, 12:23 AM
ive had one on for the longest time

no problems

gen5
02-06-2005, 12:29 AM
I think it does something similar to a pcv valve, recirculating gases back through the intake to be burnt again to keep emissions down. See where the hose goes back in on the t/b housing? I have a breather on all my older cars that have pcv's and it actually helps but I have'nt tried it on this one.

alltracman78
02-06-2005, 12:30 AM
*It is the pcv. The S series engines don't have a valve, just a hose.*

It relieves crankcase pressure, but also lets oil and all the crap in the crankcase into the intake tract, all for emissions.
If you plug it up, it will cause problems, but as long as it can still vent, it will be ok.
Best thing to do is get a catch can, that way the intake will suck out the crap, but all the crap gets caught in the catch can instead of the intake.

One word of warning on the breathers, I put a "autozone special" on mine, and blew a hole in the end after a couple of months....
So be careful where you get it.

gen5
02-06-2005, 12:38 AM
Great info, thanks. Tell us how you hook the catch can up and any other details you can think of, like the best place to get one. Seen 'em on eBay for cheap.:)