PDA

View Full Version : hey check out my intake manifold...

mig407
05-21-2007, 05:09 AM
so what do you guys think? ....would anyone be interested in getting one?
ill need your core...once i have that i can get this done for you for $400.00 plus shipping. its basically just a modified plenum for ford throttle bodies i can make it for the stock tb too if you really want it...no its not flow tested. the runners are pretty much stock except for a little porting from the top before the plenum is welded on...all things considered i think itll flow well....

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i273/biglmiguel/3sgteintake3.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i273/biglmiguel/3sgteintake1.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i273/biglmiguel/3sgteintake2.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i273/biglmiguel/2.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i273/biglmiguel/engine1.jpg

celicaGT90_05
05-21-2007, 05:52 AM
looks like it'll flow well, what kinda motors are you able to make them for? It's just too bad it'll be quite a while before I'll need somethin like that because I want to do a 3SGTE swap, but let me know how well it works

Shadowlife25
05-21-2007, 08:13 AM
Hate to say this, but though it is pretty on the outside, at $400. a pop, You had better invest in some time on a flowbench. Your time is valuable, but if I'm personally gonna shell out my hard earned cash I want to know all about what I'm paying for. If this is to be an upgrade, then you have to have flow numbers to back it up. You need numbers to show what kind of gains one can expect as well as what type of set up this would be most suited for.

Like I said, I truly appreciate your trying to contribute to the community, but show and explain what we're looking at. We're gearheads, so you won't confuse us with technical terms :D

Best of luck!

Mario

andy
05-21-2007, 05:52 PM
^ agreed, looks really nice, and i really want a side intake, but would like to know if this took care of the lean out problem associated with the stock mani.

mig407
05-22-2007, 04:25 AM
other companies offer a modified plenum for $500...with no flow sheets! i mean what kind of volume vs port velocity numbers did you have in mind shadowlife?

the intakes that have the type of R&D you mention go for the $800-$1400 range for example jun, RMR, chrisk (engine logics), hux racing im not a company just a guy sharing the ideas i have come up with for my own celica...

as to what i do to the runners i knife edged the dividers at the bottom and port matched it to a gutted & ported tvis plate...up top i did some porting too..well ill see if i can take pic of it thru the throttle body before i put the engine back in the car...

i really wanted to have it extrude honed! but its freaking expensive...

so for $400 bux...c'mon man keep it real =)

ill dyno my combination soon ill post up a sheet when i do...

celicaGT90_05
05-22-2007, 04:31 AM
I like it, and like he said those kind of custom intake manifolds are not only pricey, but can be ridiculously hard to find. I think it's a nice offer, I wunna see what it can do!

Shadowlife25
05-22-2007, 05:25 AM
Hey! Like I said, IT'S BEAUTIFUL, I was not by any means knocking your work brother. Please don't take offense. Also, it's funny that you mentioned it, 'cause I had made mention of the ChrisK piece, but thought it wasn't a relevant point to make :)
The numbers I was more making reference to were a comparison between your and stock.
I'll tell you what, you post up a before and after Dyno run with mods listed, and I'll SERIOUSLY consider picking one up from you. I look forward to seeing your results, and keep up the innovation and good work, that's exactly what our community needs.

Joeye27
05-22-2007, 07:27 AM
awesome...keep it up mig...
:bigthumbu ----true shadowlife

Schmleff
05-22-2007, 03:02 PM
can you take a picture of the inside of it? Can't tell how it will flow by looking at the outside.

There is a way to flow test it, at least a way to make sure they all flow the same.

mig407
05-22-2007, 10:54 PM
i defenitely will be posting more info as time permits... id really like to get one flowtested...

Shadowlife25
05-22-2007, 10:58 PM
Cool. Just don't forget about us. 6 posts and a member since '05? Don't be a stranger!

burnyd
05-22-2007, 11:24 PM
for 400 dollars with a flow bench and a possible dyno thats a great deal.... for celica guys would love it but mr2 owners who do not have the charge piping ran through the side it would be a problem..... but I think its awesome keep up the good work 400 dollars for that is a steal grant it you back it up.

MoralWarfare
05-22-2007, 11:45 PM
you guys ask for so fucking much any time someone designs something you want and asks more than 2 dollars for it.

Shadowlife25
05-23-2007, 01:10 AM
you guys ask for so fucking much any time someone designs something you want and asks more than 2 dollars for it.

Get bent Moral. :thefinger :D I was just trying to voice concerns that others may have so he could address them. Like I stated before, it wasn't an attack. Maybe you have $$$ falling out of your ears, but I work for a living, so I put a lot of thought and research into my purchases. :cool:

Sean
05-23-2007, 04:36 AM

When 10k dollar engines bank on an even air distrubution, it should be pretty easy to see why it's important. Losing your engine over a well built/poorly designed intake manifold would blow.

Get it tested for flow, then come back.

I would be big time interested.

MoralWarfare
05-28-2007, 02:57 AM
lick my nuts you sense making bastards.

Denver_whiteST185
05-28-2007, 04:59 AM
you know, you may want to use 86-89 3sge intake manifolds as cores. the reason why is because the runners point towards the side since they are a side feed manifold. they will bolt up and i believe the runners are the same size, length, etc. i don't have one to compare, but i can grab one from a junk yard on tuesday when i have the day off.

Mortal warfare - if you don't have something constructive, screw off. theres a reason why flow benches are made....

celicaGT90_05
06-05-2007, 07:25 AM
any new news about the intake yet?

Denver_whiteST185
06-05-2007, 07:53 AM
I pm'ed him asking what pricing he would do for me if i got it flowtested. i would use a 3sge manifold and a 3rd gen throttle body, as opposed to his rustang throttle body and 3sgte manifold. i still haven't heard back from him....

Luni
06-05-2007, 07:33 PM
I can get that thing flowtested also.

I like the idea of a 3rd gen TB too. Mustang TB only works if youre running a standalone or something to compensate the TPS.

Denver_whiteST185
06-05-2007, 08:20 PM
yeah, i want to run it because its slightly larger, and it will match up to my 2.5" intercooler pipes nicely.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/pc38c87a4b8dc7deaa9332ea28300d8bd/e936c50a.jpghttp://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p6bbb120dffff99359adc0eab011cf0d1/e936c536.jpg

Joeye27
08-13-2007, 10:17 PM
any test for the intake manifold??? are you still making them??? really would like to see any improvements... thanks!

BlueDragon
09-18-2007, 03:54 AM
word i already have the 3rd gen throttle body also... the bottleneck is that Fing intake manifold... i WILL break 500 hp... DIE INTAKE DIE!!!!

Shadowlife25
09-18-2007, 04:25 AM
Dude hasn't posted in like 4 months.... I think he's gone :(

extremeskillz
09-18-2007, 12:54 PM
lol. he knew we were not stupid or he blew up his motor. :hehe:

BlueDragon
09-22-2007, 02:02 AM
great another fabricator shunned from our society well done all!!! how bout one of you geniuses build me a Fing intake that will give me the 600 hp I want now?? HUH? YA thats what i thought!

Shadowlife25
09-22-2007, 10:08 AM
When 10k dollar engines bank on an even air distrubution, it should be pretty easy to see why it's important. Losing your engine over a well built/poorly designed intake manifold would blow.

Get it tested for flow, then come back.

I would be big time interested.

This is why ^^ Because we CARE about our cars. Would you be willing to bank your engine on something that looks pretty but could totally destroy it? Not I sir.

Now quit 'yer bitchin and get crackin on it yer damn self! ;)

MrWOT
09-22-2007, 05:57 PM
Actually, with the larger plenum it probably would have taken care of the distribution issues with the stock piece, if it was well designed that is, again, can't tell a damn thing without testing, It may however, have been the best thing since sliced bread and now we will never know, pity.

Luckynumber5
09-23-2007, 06:16 AM
The only thing I see as an issue would be the harmonics inside the plenum, but simply making the end taper a bit will make things work very nicely. People have made lots of intake like the one he designed and I have yet to see one cause an engine to blow. There is a difference between assuming an intake will cause fueling problems, and knowing it will. I'm sorry but to those that requested it be flow tested for fear of it blowing an engine up, thats a little stupid. Once again, many people have made a custom large plenum intake manifold out of a stock manifold and had no problems, they work great with a large turbo setup and can greatly improve response time.

It's unfortunate nobody took up his offer, for quality parts and welding the price was right.

Amaymi
09-23-2007, 06:19 PM
The only thing I see as an issue would be the harmonics inside the plenum, but simply making the end taper a bit will make things work very nicely. People have made lots of intake like the one he designed and I have yet to see one cause an engine to blow. There is a difference between assuming an intake will cause fueling problems, and knowing it will. I'm sorry but to those that requested it be flow tested for fear of it blowing an engine up, thats a little stupid. Once again, many people have made a custom large plenum intake manifold out of a stock manifold and had no problems, they work great with a large turbo setup and can greatly improve response time.

It's unfortunate nobody took up his offer, for quality parts and welding the price was right.

Exactly what I was thinking. But simple fix as you said.

Shadowlife25
09-23-2007, 08:24 PM

Well, how about showing us "stupid" folks why we're wrong with some empirical proof. Elsewise, don't EVER call me stupid. I treat people on here with respect, you should do the same.

turbo4ag
09-24-2007, 05:20 AM
I kind of agree with both sides of the argument.

For the price, flowtesting shouldn't be mandatory. And although its pretty much 90% unlikely..... one COULD actually blow their engine with the wrong intake manifold. You have to remember pretty much everyone here has a stock ECU for whatever reason, so increasing the airflow or wrongly changing air distribution beyond O2 compensation will kill it, especially one with AFM.

3SGTE owners want a product thats been thru thorough R&D, with proven results. Thats why to this day you have guys buying speedsource and ATS kits, etc... for outrageous prices, for minimal results compared to if you had the time and skills to do it yourself. It may cost alot, but they know exactly how reliable it should be, they know the quality of the supplier, and the expected increases.

But if some no-name guy comes out of the blue with an intake manifold, you'd expect this to happen. But if ATS released the same type of service with the same no-test, no dyno situation, it'd probably be a whole different story.

Sean
09-24-2007, 06:47 AM
I kind of agree with both sides of the argument.

For the price, flowtesting shouldn't be mandatory. And although its pretty much 90% unlikely..... one COULD actually blow their engine with the wrong intake manifold. You have to remember pretty much everyone here has a stock ECU for whatever reason, so increasing the airflow or wrongly changing air distribution beyond O2 compensation will kill it, especially one with AFM.

3SGTE owners want a product thats been thru thorough R&D, with proven results. Thats why to this day you have guys buying speedsource and ATS kits, etc... for outrageous prices, for minimal results compared to if you had the time and skills to do it yourself. It may cost alot, but they know exactly how reliable it should be, they know the quality of the supplier, and the expected increases.

But if some no-name guy comes out of the blue with an intake manifold, you'd expect this to happen. But if ATS released the same type of service with the same no-test, no dyno situation, it'd probably be a whole different story.

Outrageous prices? I beg to differ. Speed source is fantastic in both pricing, customer satisfaction, and quality of products.

RMR sells a tried and tested manifold for 650 dollars. Its built by aeronautical engineers, flow tested, dyno tested, and known for its great cost/benefit ratio. Its an ideal investment for those who count dollars yet require the best.

Investing whatever this guy was asking based up on his craftsmanship is a gamble. Without testament to his engineering capacity and ability to think through a project from all facets, for me and for most it would be futile to throw money away on this. The intake manifold isnt an intake pipe, a radiator hose, or some other negliglbe part that can just be replaced. It requires careful though, machining, and the know how of what your doing.

I set this guy up for free flow testing, never got back to me.

burnyd
09-24-2007, 07:32 AM
Outrageous prices? I beg to differ. Speed source is fantastic in both pricing, customer satisfaction, and quality of products.

RMR sells a tried and tested manifold for 650 dollars. Its built by aeronautical engineers, flow tested, dyno tested, and known for its great cost/benefit ratio. Its an ideal investment for those who count dollars yet require the best.

Investing whatever this guy was asking based up on his craftsmanship is a gamble. Without testament to his engineering capacity and ability to think through a project from all facets, for me and for most it would be futile to throw money away on this. The intake manifold isnt an intake pipe, a radiator hose, or some other negliglbe part that can just be replaced. It requires careful though, machining, and the know how of what your doing.

I set this guy up for free flow testing, never got back to me.

+950930930493094030394 for sean

turbo4ag
09-25-2007, 11:03 PM
Agreed, except....

for outrageous prices, for minimal results compared to if you had the time and skills to do it yourself.

I dont know about you... But I could build a kit for myself with everything they offer in the speedsource kit, but as well could have replaced the manifold, upgraded the BOV, put a new intercooler and pipes for the same price of $2100. Then again, Im not doing it for a profit.

Luckynumber5
09-28-2007, 10:16 PM
Well, how about showing us "stupid" folks why we're wrong with some empirical proof. Elsewise, don't EVER call me stupid. I treat people on here with respect, you should do the same.

Maybe I should have used the word silly instead of stupid if I thought someone would really take it to heart. As for the quality and engineering, well we all ran him off before anyone got a chance to really see something he made, because he didn't fit into what we considered a reputable engineer. It's pretty sad if you ask me, but it's nothing to go on about.

Longo3sgte
09-28-2007, 11:19 PM
w

KoreanJoey
09-29-2007, 07:18 AM
Agreed, except....

I dont know about you... But I could build a kit for myself with everything they offer in the speedsource kit, but as well could have replaced the manifold, upgraded the BOV, put a new intercooler and pipes for the same price of $2100. Then again, Im not doing it for a profit.

Um... do you flowbench and then dyno test your shit? yeah... k.

Luckynumber5
09-29-2007, 07:40 AM
And who dyno tests and flowbenches every damn thing they put on their car? Anyone with half a brain can learn how to properly upgrade a car.

BlueDragon
09-29-2007, 04:52 PM
sweet lots of talk about flows and dynos and everyone pissing in the wind and producing JACK as far as innovation of new or hard to find or pay for parts we all need, hell of a thread ruining goin on. How bout a mod lock this until.... IF this guy returns to help us out.

turbo4ag
09-30-2007, 12:58 AM
Um... do you flowbench and then dyno test your shit? yeah... k.

Um....I dont need to. I dont need prooven results if Im not sellin it.

Dont hate on my skills cause numerous people get raped by their ignorance. :duh:

Blue Scapegoat
09-30-2007, 05:29 AM
haha, you spelled proven with two o's.

Conrad_Turbo
09-30-2007, 07:19 PM
I wasn't going to lock this...but this is getting childish. C'mon guys!

A lot of people in the automotive industry want well engineered/designed parts at Chinese/Mexico prices, but it's not fair to say everyone expects that. Everyone just take a break...if the original poster comes back and wants this thread opened for intelligent discussion, PM me and I will open it.