PDA

View Full Version : My 4AGE swap

JEDI
05-19-2007, 09:20 PM
So I started ordering things for my swap. I found this deal on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=011&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=320113843117&rd=1,1
and thought it was good so I made an offer and got it for way better :). Anyhow it seems to have everything I need for what I have decided to do. I am going to run a silvertop with the blacktop ecu so it will be map with open throttle bodies. I chose the silver top because I believe it will hold up to nitrous better than the blacktop.

ciento44
05-19-2007, 09:28 PM
I'm real interested how this turns out. :) Good luck!

Out of curiousity... what makes you think the Silvertop will hold up to spray better than Blacktop?

Not a test, just curious.

JEDI
05-19-2007, 09:54 PM
Becaus the silvertop has beefier internals and slightly lower compression. Mostly because of the internals though.

ciento44
05-19-2007, 09:55 PM
I knew about the compression, but i didn't realize they came with better internals.... seems a little backwards to me, but i don't know a ton about them. :)

JEDI
05-19-2007, 10:06 PM
Well the blacktop's has lightened internals, the connecting rods in the blacktop look like pencils compared to the silvertops.

Ricksta
05-19-2007, 11:46 PM
either way, if your motor hasnt been takin apart and built for it your silvertop or any motor for that matter is not going to last long on no2

PhillyDRFT
05-20-2007, 12:35 AM
either way, if your motor hasnt been takin apart and built for it your silvertop or any motor for that matter is not going to last long on no2

Thats a common misconception. Yes it will increase wear on the engine but as long as you don't go overboard a light spray of "Nawz" is a better power adder than a bolt on turbo kit, in terms of longevity.

90CelicaST
05-20-2007, 01:02 AM
How do you plan on injecting the nitrous with open throttles? I know it will be direct port, but where are you going to put your injectors?

Murgatroy
05-20-2007, 02:17 AM
either way, if your motor hasnt been takin apart and built for it your silvertop or any motor for that matter is not going to last long on no2 Have you read none of my posts regarding spray?

All you really have to have to safely run spray is a timing retard, purge valve and a proper tune. Oh, and not going with anything bigger than a 35 shot. It is as safe as mother's milk if done right. Use too much and you will melt a piston. I have known folks to run a 50 shot on a stock smallblock V8 for years with no issues. I ran a 250 plate on my Camaro, albeit the engine was built.

How do you plan on injecting the nitrous with open throttles? I know it will be direct port, but where are you going to put your injectors? NOS makes a set of N2O injectors that will fit under your stock injectors. It is rather expensive, but that is the only way I can think of to run it with open ITBs. There is also a company (it may be NOS as well) that makes injectors that do double duty as fuel and N20 injectors in the stock(ish) size.

EDIT: Fixed Tony. ;)

JEDI
05-20-2007, 03:48 AM
Also the only reason alot of people are scared to run spray is because back in the day when they had carburators and no fuel injection or fogger the extra oxygen will make it to hot and melt pistons. basically like running way to lean. if the mixture is right you will never be to hot to melt pistons.

90CelicaST
05-20-2007, 03:50 AM
Murg, you quoted the wrong person.;-)

JEDI
05-20-2007, 03:51 AM

How do you build a silvertop for NOS? from what Ive read they already have coated pistons, forged internals, and piston oil squirters to cool the pistons like the 4agze. I dont think it can get much better than that Id say.

JEDI
05-20-2007, 04:02 AM
How do you plan on injecting the nitrous with open throttles? I know it will be direct port, but where are you going to put your injectors?

my plan is to turn some custom veocity stacks out of aluminum onmy lathe that some k&n cone filters can mount on. and in each stack I will drill a hole to acomidate the no2 "WET" injectors.

PhillyDRFT
05-21-2007, 01:07 AM
my plan is to turn some custom veocity stacks out of aluminum onmy lathe that some k&n cone filters can mount on. and in each stack I will drill a hole to acomidate the no2 "WET" injectors.

I'd like to see that done. With a LOT of pics. It sounds perfectly viable but your spray will only be usefull at WOT correct? or else the throttle plates will be in the way and mess up the atomisation?

Melchior
05-21-2007, 03:04 AM
I'd like to see that done. With a LOT of pics. It sounds perfectly viable but your spray will only be usefull at WOT correct? or else the throttle plates will be in the way and mess up the atomisation?

May be, but why would you want to turn it on unless you were at WOT anyway? Cause if you're not at WOT doesn't it make more sense to get power from the engine by opening the throttle first, before you go injecting? I mean, I've never run spray so I don't know, but it wouldn't make sense to use it if you're not at WOT yet to me.

Murgatroy
05-21-2007, 05:14 AM
It doesn't make sense to use it anytime other than at WOT. Traction is a good thing. If you hit the juice before you are moving or have traction, you are not gonna go anywhere.

JEDI
05-21-2007, 05:17 AM
the switch only activates the spray at wot on any system.

JEDI
05-31-2007, 08:53 AM
update : been working on the harness, Not to hard once you eliminate the body circuits. Got a call from the shipping company today, the silvertop will be here tomorrow! Ill get pics. :Ban1:

JEDI
05-31-2007, 07:17 PM
Well here it is. Im glad I did get all those blacktop parts. The distributer on the silvertop was smashed but other than that it is lookin fine. Is anyone interested in the silvertop ecu???

Cavanagh
05-31-2007, 08:29 PM
Sweet! When are you expecting to drop her in?

JEDI
06-01-2007, 08:24 AM
Soon, I have been working alot of overtime.

JEDI
06-11-2007, 05:59 AM
Well I finally got the day off and did some work on it in the garage/shop.