PDA

View Full Version : Preparing for amatuer drag

Newbster
05-19-2007, 04:15 PM
Me and my friend are going to the drag and im wondering some things I can do to help me win. He has a galant 4cyl 140hp(we both have autos). Im not trying to bench race, because I sort of already know Im going to win. My car should be alot lighter than his 4dr, which I think will be the deciding factor in the end. Im looking for some temporary things for the race to help me. Like I'll be taking out the back seats,amp/sound system, and windshield wipers. Any other ideas for quick things that I can return to normal later after the race? Let me know what you think. :bigthumbu

ciento44
05-19-2007, 04:28 PM
Don't bother with windshield wipers.

Just gut the entire interior. About a 2 hour job to take it out, 2 hours to put it back in. :P

Newbster
05-19-2007, 04:40 PM
Oh, well Ive heard that windshield wipers affect the "drag" on the car...But anyway, I'm probably going to keep the door panels and quarter panels on. May take out passenger seat. Maybe glove box too.Hmmm.

vip09
05-19-2007, 05:56 PM
The windshield wipers won't be making much drag to make enough difference at the speeds you will be going. You MIGHT make it over 80mph. Just work on saving weight on the interior. Take the spare and jack out. Rear seats, passenger seat. You might not even need to lower your tire pressure because you have an auto. If you think you are going to lose traction on the launch, lower your tire pressure to about 25psi.

Fuelish
05-20-2007, 03:58 AM
This one's kind of obvious, but.... Show up with as empty a gas tank as you feel comfortable with (and bring a full can of gas with you - that you leave out of the car whilst racing - to put a few gallons back into the car to get ya home, or at least to a filling station). Dunno the weight of gas, but water weighs in at like 8 lbs per gallon, so imagine gasoline would be in that ballpark ..... so a full tank will have added probably 100 lbs or more of unneeded liquid weight. Just don't run out ;)

90celicaGTX
05-20-2007, 08:23 PM
when i had intake and exhaust....

nothing stripped. ASIS

17.001 @ 81MPH

its manual..

Cavanagh
05-20-2007, 08:36 PM
if its auto vs auto, whoever puts there foot down first will win.:hehe:

atrac7gts
05-21-2007, 12:25 AM
drive naked, you'll shave a couple of pounds from the loss of clothing.

Newbster
05-21-2007, 01:34 AM
.................. :hehe:

Thanks for the tips guys. :ohyeah: :Ban1: :sneak:

Ghosty
05-23-2007, 10:31 PM
Make sure to take the overdrive off...

... and don't rev it in N and dump it to D.

And what they said. Take out spare tire, jack, carpeting in the trunk, passenger seats, rear seats, carpeting, the panels on the side of the doors, what have you. Low on the gas.

You could toy with the timing, advance it 5 or so degrees (lots of guides on how to do this), then fill er up with high octane. If you're crazy you can add octane boost. But I don't recommend it, especially on an empty tank. Stuff needs to be diluted with regular gas or you'll have problems. (Guys, is it sound advice? Wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't.)

If you have a spoiler, you might want to remove it. Also the side mirrors (remember to reattach them).

oh.... and keep the shiny side up.

burnyd
05-23-2007, 10:51 PM
Me and my friend are going to the drag and im wondering some things I can do to help me win. He has a galant 4cyl 140hp(we both have autos). Im not trying to bench race, because I sort of already know Im going to win. My car should be alot lighter than his 4dr, which I think will be the deciding factor in the end. Im looking for some temporary things for the race to help me. Like I'll be taking out the back seats,amp/sound system, and windshield wipers. Any other ideas for quick things that I can return to normal later after the race? Let me know what you think. :bigthumbu

gut the interrior.

GT4SOM
05-26-2007, 06:27 AM
If you have a hatch take off the hatch :D That will be like 100+ lbs!

Melchior
05-27-2007, 06:17 AM
Hatch is actually less than 50 lbs; around 47 iirc

burnyd
05-27-2007, 06:20 AM
let vip09 drive your car.

Murgatroy
05-27-2007, 07:34 AM
Make sure to take the overdrive off...

... and don't rev it in N and dump it to D.

And what they said. Take out spare tire, jack, carpeting in the trunk, passenger seats, rear seats, carpeting, the panels on the side of the doors, what have you. Low on the gas.

You could toy with the timing, advance it 5 or so degrees (lots of guides on how to do this), then fill er up with high octane. If you're crazy you can add octane boost. But I don't recommend it, especially on an empty tank. Stuff needs to be diluted with regular gas or you'll have problems. (Guys, is it sound advice? Wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't.)

If you have a spoiler, you might want to remove it. Also the side mirrors (remember to reattach them).

oh.... and keep the shiny side up.

Keeping OD off isn't gonna effect anything. The gas will be to the floor, the tranny won't shift till redline anyways, and you won't make it to 4th in a quarter mile.

Advancing the timing 5 degrees is fine, I run a 15* advance on my 4AFE all the time.

Octane boost is fine, it isn't gonna hurt to put a whole bottle in on a nearly empty tank. If this where done regularly it would burn out the O2 sensor and the cat though.

Anything that you can remove and you feel comfortable removing, take it off by all means. However, unless you strip your car to the bare shell, you aren't gonna be losing that much weight once you get past removing the seats and the junk in the trunk.

Ghosty
05-27-2007, 07:57 AM
Keeping OD off isn't gonna effect anything. The gas will be to the floor, the tranny won't shift till redline anyways, and you won't make it to 4th in a quarter mile.

Advancing the timing 5 degrees is fine, I run a 15* advance on my 4AFE all the time.

Octane boost is fine, it isn't gonna hurt to put a whole bottle in on a nearly empty tank. If this where done regularly it would burn out the O2 sensor and the cat though.

Anything that you can remove and you feel comfortable removing, take it off by all means. However, unless you strip your car to the bare shell, you aren't gonna be losing that much weight once you get past removing the seats and the junk in the trunk.

PFEW! I thought I was way off base there.

Hate to burn up the guy's engine, you know.

About the OD- didn't think of it, but true. If the pedal is all the way down, if you're WOT, the OD will not engage within that distance.

I ran the quarter mile once. Oh god it was horrible. 18.6 to 18.8 or something.

But, I had the spare tire, jack, an emergency battery booster and nothing taken out of the interior. Tank was full. Regular gas, no octane boost, no timing (i think... it may have been only 5 deg if anything...) I think I had some chick fil-a chicken nuggets flying around the interior at one point. Embarrassing, maybe. But it was nice not having to look over your shoulder for cops. And safe, too.

Newbster
07-29-2007, 12:23 AM
Well good news. First race I wasnt really prepared (full interior) and had my girl in the passenger seat, and he walked right past me slowly. Next race we did I had my exhaust finished and just me in the car, and I walked right by him every time.

Doctor Jinxed
07-29-2007, 01:11 AM
nice... now, don't be embarrassed, you're not the <i>only</i> one with an auto GT here *cough*

What numbers did you run?