PDA

View Full Version : need headlight info

imac
02-05-2005, 02:18 AM
i need to get a set of headlights. i already checked the salvage around here and they have nothing, so it looks like im gonna have to buy a new set. i was wondering if any of you know where i can get projectors from. and i seem to remember hearing that they only make them for RHD so the angles are off. does that make the visibility any worse, because the lights arent great to begin with. and if anybody knows how much an oem set would be that would be good too cuz i havent gotten a chance to contact any dealers yet. thanks guys.

Galcobar
02-05-2005, 03:29 AM
Don't know about finding 6th-gen lights, but the JDM projectors would not be a good idea.

Every European and Japanese car is designed with directional lighting. The beam has a sharp upper cutoff, to avoid glare for oncoming drivers, and curves up on one side to illuminate the road shoulder. Problem is, with an RHD lights on an LHD car, that means the lights are going to curve up towards oncoming cars, and you'll lack illumination near the road shoulder.

You might have better luck installing a set of North American or European projector lamps off another car, and just sourcing the clear lenses from a Japanese Celica.

Supersprynt
02-06-2005, 03:42 AM
ToyotaWorld in TX sells them, however, be prepared to spend $750.

85gtsblackman
02-06-2005, 03:51 AM
what happened to yours

imac
02-06-2005, 05:32 AM
i hit a deer a couple weeks ago.

and if theyre gonna run anywhere near $750 i guess its gonna be oem for me.

Mynzeyes
02-14-2005, 07:49 AM
Don't know about finding 6th-gen lights, but the JDM projectors would not be a good idea.

Every European and Japanese car is designed with directional lighting. The beam has a sharp upper cutoff, to avoid glare for oncoming drivers, and curves up on one side to illuminate the road shoulder. Problem is, with an RHD lights on an LHD car, that means the lights are going to curve up towards oncoming cars, and you'll lack illumination near the road shoulder.

You might have better luck installing a set of North American or European projector lamps off another car, and just sourcing the clear lenses from a Japanese Celica.

that's completely wrong. sorry, but it is. the JDM projectors work just fine after proper aiming, and the lighting for me is great. rarely do people flash their highbeams at me, <10 times in 2+ years...worst case scenario, you can open the projectors up, and modify the part that blocks the light. there is a thread on 6gc.net about it, but i just took some codone, and don't feel like looking for it right now. :). i'll update this w/ the thread, if you dont' go find it.

-John-

Galcobar
02-14-2005, 06:35 PM
So are you saying that E-code and JDM lenses don't have the beam pattern I described?

Mynzeyes
02-20-2005, 07:36 PM
eah, my bad, i shoulda cut it...the part that's wrong is making other headlights fit...sorry about that. :). they do have the directional beam, but it's not bad at all if aimed correctly, and it can be corrected.

-John-