PDA

View Full Version : Lightest Celica you have seen?

geebes
05-18-2007, 03:13 AM
What is the lightest weight that you could make a celica, or have seen a celica made?

Just curious; i'm inspired after seeing the Ariel Atom!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VfJJ9Sn4DQ

andy
05-18-2007, 04:46 AM
dunno, but the atom is da shit!!!!!!! i would love to own one.

PhillyDRFT
05-18-2007, 07:08 AM
Stock is 2866.

Engine is around 300.

So you have about 2500lbs in chassis.

I can theoretically see getting down to 2100lbs but thats pushing it. Maybe lighter if you chopped the chassis into a golf cart.

geebes
05-18-2007, 07:27 AM
Hmmm...plastic body part replacements? THis would be extreme and for no reason, but...

ciento44
05-18-2007, 08:10 AM
For a 5th gen, i think i was close. ;)

I'm sure other people have gone farther, and lighter, but i haven't seen pics.

vip09
05-18-2007, 08:41 AM
Superman1240 on newcelica.org got his 7th gen GT-S down to 2080lbs without driver. He ran a 13.504 @ 102mph with just an intake and Power FC.

Joeye27
05-18-2007, 09:22 AM
:bigthumbu

Murgatroy
05-18-2007, 10:54 AM
Chaos weighs in at 2300lbs with me in her.

I have removed the AC and have no power options. If I were inclined I could trim another 100 lbs off of that.

I don't see a 5th Gen getting lighter than 1900lbs without a driver. And that would have to be a totally stripped ST.

PhillyDRFT
05-18-2007, 05:53 PM
Chaos weighs in at 2300lbs with me in her.

I have removed the AC and have no power options. If I were inclined I could trim another 100 lbs off of that.

I don't see a 5th Gen getting lighter than 1900lbs without a driver. And that would have to be a totally stripped ST.

How did you weigh it? or are you ballparking it?

geebes
05-18-2007, 06:19 PM
I'm just day dreaming; but what about plastic windows, all body pieces plastic or carbon fiber...

Or what about a convertable with all the convertable parts removed?

Damnit i'm bored!

PhillyDRFT
05-18-2007, 06:23 PM
I'm just day dreaming; but what about plastic windows, all body pieces plastic or carbon fiber...

Or what about a convertable with all the convertable parts removed?

Damnit i'm bored!

Fiberglass, Unless you really want to go balls out and use like rubbermaid trashcans lol. you could reskin the doors, have plastic fenders, hood and trunk/hatch. You can also replace the windows with lexan or plexi. The windshield would have to stay glass for structure. Were obviously not adding a roll cage so. You can theoreticly save around 150-200lbs that way?

geebes
05-18-2007, 06:43 PM
Since I am still day dreaming...;)I need a donor car, lets do the convertable! And also I need money...

Oooh...rubermaid trashcans! :) wait, what if I just take all body panels off? and replace with some kind of crazy cage thingy? Basically I just want to make the atom...with an existing car. :hehe:

GRUMPY514
05-18-2007, 06:45 PM
Since I am still day dreaming...;)I need a donor car, lets do the convertable! And also I need money...

Oooh...rubermaid trashcans! :) wait, what if I just take all body panels off? and replace with some kind of crazy cage thingy? Basically I just want to make the atom...with an existing car. :hehe:

Verts are the heaviest dood.

Start off with an ST with no options and go from there.

2kSnakEater
05-18-2007, 06:47 PM
Nobody's Celica is lighter than my 92 All-Trac.

geebes
05-18-2007, 07:06 PM
Wouldn't a vert with all the convertable components taken out be the lightest?

Hiko
05-18-2007, 07:07 PM
Stock is 2866.

Engine is around 300.

So you have about 2500lbs in chassis.

I can theoretically see getting down to 2100lbs but thats pushing it. Maybe lighter if you chopped the chassis into a golf cart.

Hacking off an additional 400 pounds isn't pushing it as much as you might think. It just takes ri-farking-diculous amounts of dedication. Check out these photos (http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/features/0611sscp_opera_performance_honda_s2000/index2.html) of the Opera Performance S2000. It doesn't mention in that part of the article, but in the magazine, they said the car weight dropped from around 2900 to 2100, IIRC. With that kind of work, I can see a celica dropping below 2000 no problem.

Fuelish
05-18-2007, 08:04 PM
Verts are the heaviest dood.

Start off with an ST with no options and go from there. Indeed .... even if you removed the vert top and all it's workings, you still have all the added structural reinforcements added to the body/chassis by ASC to stiffen it up.....honestly, I don't think, in the scheme of things, the vert top/ribs/top motor aren that significant, weight-wise.....it's the extra metal ya can't see that porked them up.
And, agreed....stripping an no options ST is the way to weight-weenie-dom

Fuelish
05-18-2007, 08:06 PM
Wouldn't a vert with all the convertable components taken out be the lightest? No ... ASC added lots of metal to beef up frame/structure of the vehicle to compensate for no roof support ... and if it were even possible to remove all said reinforcements, the car would likely flex like crazy, and who knows, perhaps snap like a twig lol still loving on my vert, though, as fat (and stock) as she is ;)

Murgatroy
05-18-2007, 08:08 PM
How did you weigh it? or are you ballparking it?

I working the trucking business. I have a weighed her on a CAT scale about 5 years ago.

Colossus20v
05-19-2007, 04:03 AM
JOhnL, Schmleff's brother I think had one of the lightest 5th gens. It was stripped to almost nothing. Rather funny to see pictures of it.

PhillyDRFT
05-19-2007, 08:15 AM
I working the trucking business. I have a weighed her on a CAT scale about 5 years ago.

That is amazing. I know you know how to drive, so it brings me to my next question How is the balance on it?

Hacking off an additional 400 pounds isn't pushing it as much as you might think. It just takes ri-farking-diculous amounts of dedication. Check out these photos (http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/features/0611sscp_opera_performance_honda_s2000/index2.html) of the Opera Performance S2000. It doesn't mention in that part of the article, but in the magazine, they said the car weight dropped from around 2900 to 2100, IIRC. With that kind of work, I can see a celica dropping below 2000 no problem.

That build takes into account advanced metallurgy and structural design. I don't think your average garage mechanic could achieve that. I do agree with the proper people, tools and setting you could drop the chassis weight of a celica below 2000lbs. I think the time and engineering would be better put into adding extra power to haul the weight of your "Extra" structural components. Since were talking in theory about all of this. Possible yes, plausible no.

I would imagine you can make some pretty light body panels using cheese cloth, and resin. It won't be the strongest thing ever but it'll do the job lol. It just depends on how secretive you want to be about this weight redux.

celicaGT90_05
05-19-2007, 08:51 AM
I'd have to say mine is the lightest that I have actually seen lol when costing at about 50+ MPH, a slight jerk of the wheel makes the body feel like its swaying apart from the frame....pretty quick though for as little as its modded...so far...

Murgatroy
05-19-2007, 11:27 AM
That is amazing. I know you know how to drive, so it brings me to my next question How is the balance on it?

Chaos is easily the best handling car I have ever owned. Other than her wheels/tires, the suspension is stock. The nose is still a little heavy, you have to watch it and listen for the tires to talk to you, but that is with any FWD. I have removed the AC and smashed a fender, so there is some more weight reduction and aerodynamic work. ;) Mudhoney is the pet now. Chaos needs repair and TLC, she has been through a lot in the last 6 years.

I intend to get lose a good chunk of weight. Suspension work as well.

That build takes into account advanced metallurgy and structural design. I don't think your average garage mechanic could achieve that. I do agree with the proper people, tools and setting you could drop the chassis weight of a celica below 2000lbs. I think the time and engineering would be better put into adding extra power to haul the weight of your "Extra" structural components. Since were talking in theory about all of this. Possible yes, plausible no.

I would imagine you can make some pretty light body panels using cheese cloth, and resin. It won't be the strongest thing ever but it'll do the job lol. It just depends on how secretive you want to be about this weight redux.

I mentioned in another thread about modifications, but it is relevant here as well.

If a person is determined, 1000lbs is possible. To do it proper is the trick though. Modern cars are unibody. That is where all your weight is trapped. You change panels. Fenders, hoods, door skins, hatches, but you are still stuck with the shell, it has to support all the weight. Carroll Shelby used to acid dip panels to reduce weight and still perform close to factory, and pass tech. ;)

The installation of a cage, complete removal of an interior and accessories, fiberglass panels and Lexan windows, would net you about 250 lbs. If you ran the cage through the suspension points and reinforced key areas, you could rivet in fiberglass panels all through the body. Most racecars now have an entire carbon fiber chassis. That is some serious weight loss.