PDA

View Full Version : Header and fuel economy

my76gt
05-17-2007, 12:33 AM
Hi there, I am considering puting a header on a 76 celica with a 20R engine. I know it would increase power but would it increase fuel economy. With gas prices almost up to $3.50 I'd like to find something to bring up my MPG. I'm already using a K&N air filter and a flex fan, and that seems to help as well.

zmile06
05-17-2007, 12:44 AM
I think headers might actually make you lose miles per gallon. I'm not positve though, i would just lose the cat and get bigger piping.

Nice to see a 76 celica running around post up some pics.

And i dont recommend the K and N filter because it lets dirt into the engine, taht will not increase the MPG much.

85gtsblackman
05-17-2007, 02:31 AM
put a pre filter on it

doug thornly makes headers for a 20r so does pacesetter, which the 22re guys have claimed a lil better incease in gasmilage and power

my76gt
05-17-2007, 04:17 AM
whats a "pre" filter??? I was thinking about pacesetter.

85gtsblackman
05-17-2007, 10:29 PM
foam filter that goes around the air filter

Fuelish
05-17-2007, 11:31 PM
foam filter that goes around the air filter Would that apply to "drop-in" K&N's ??? Dunno what actual filter he's referring to (stock replacement or "something else".......been a long time since I sold my '75 Celi ;) ) ) ...... I can understand if it's a cone filter (at least the idea of which you speak, pre-filter), whatever, but what if he's talking K&N replacement filter for the stock (??? dunno if they even make 'em for that far back.... just guessing, and suffering through caffeine/Sudaphed load today ;) ). Is there such a thing as a pre-filter for drop-in/stock K&N replacement filters ??? This enquiring mind wants to know ... heh

my76gt
05-18-2007, 06:46 PM
yeah it's a stock replacement K&N air filter, so there's no way for me to put a pre filter on it. thanks for all the info guys.

Murgatroy
05-19-2007, 11:37 AM
I think the filter would be a round filter over the carb. Pretty much universal. In the black tin can.

As for the header, yes, it will help your fuel economy. Anytime you allow the engine to breathe easier, it becomes more efficient. Keeping the exhaust piping proper sized will help as well.

There are lots of ways to get better gas mileage, the one that hurts the most though is keeping my foot off the pedal.