PDA

View Full Version : st problems again

gt_turbo
02-04-2005, 11:13 PM
hmmmm anybody ever had these problems or seen this wierd stuff before... my batteries have been draining over the past couple of weeks like nothing. i tested the alternator and it was fine, and i have a new batttery but its still being drained. in addition to that the starter fails to start for some reason sometimes even with a jump start/full battery. i also found out that when a fresh battery is plugged in smoke starts to come out from the engine rite underneath the intake manifold and this is before i even turn the ignition. i think that the smoke is from coolant that i have slowly leaking out from my coolant lines that have cracks in them. but i am wondering what is causing the coolant to burn and smoke up like that. anybody know anything that could be drawing up the power from a battery and burning coolant or whatnot at the same time? so i suspect that its probably a bad starter or maybe a combination of that and the leaking coolant interfering with the starter. any ideas? also how much of a pain in the ass is it to take out the ST starter. i miss my 3s and 5s where the starter was right in front of the radiator. :(

ST162MECH
02-05-2005, 12:26 AM
Put a amp meter in series with the positive terminal of the batt and cable that should tell you how much voltage drop you have maximum voltage drop with systems off is 0.2A if there is more than that then you just go around the vehicle unpluging stuff untill the VD is gone Thats the way a sparky would do it. Starter probably needs a relay that is super common. Are you loosing coolant visually to make you think that the coolant is making the smoke?

gt_turbo
02-05-2005, 08:17 PM
yea coolant was dripping and certain sections of the hose if i were to push it would squirt coolant out. and also the sweet smell of coolant burning as i drive. but o well the the freakin ST died today for good while i was driving. some nasty burning smell was coming out from somewhere behind the intake manifold. no idea. but i replaced the battery with a spare in my trunk that was full. tried cranking but it wouldnt make any noises. damn i hate this car. so i got it towed to the shop and now waiting for the shop to rape my ass.

gt_turbo
02-05-2005, 10:55 PM
o man did they TRY and rape me. those muthafuckas... $45 for computer diagnostics. and they find that my starter is the problem as i thought but wanted to make sure. Then they were like a starter for your car costs $250. OMFG!!! and I need a new starter cable and that would be $50 and for them to put it in would be $100 for a grand total of $400+tax. What kinda shit is that $100 to install a starter and a cable. and $250 for a starter. man this car isnt even more than $1000. and they are gonna try to charge me almost half a grand. and here's the kicker, the shop is only 3 blocks from my house so i ask if they could tow it to my house for maybe $20 or so, and they reply with $65 to tow 3 blocks. DUDE WHAT FUCK that shit! last time i ever go there.

ST162MECH
02-06-2005, 06:57 AM
Sounds like some one is looking for work aye. That kinda sucks dude get it back to your place do the work youself? pull the starter off take it to a sparkey get them to overhaul it. It shouldent need a new starter cable unless it is cooked?.

Mike431635
02-06-2005, 07:18 AM
Ok I had a similar problem to this, and I replaced the coolant lines, so it stopped smoking and stuff. But the starter wouldn't start half the time. Anyhow, a lot of Chevy V8 guys and guys with Porsche 914's have starter problems and need a relay wired onto their starter, so I got one off my gf's dad's 74 914 (he was getting a new one anyhow), and wired it up. I haven't had any problems since!

Here's a link to it from pelicanparts: http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/9144/POR_9144_electr_pg4.htm#item24

It's called a Hot Start Relay Kit.

Mike431635
02-06-2005, 07:22 AM
Oh, and those cables are EASY as hell to replace. Just go to autozone or advance auto parts or some type of store and tell them you need starter pos and neg cables, they'll be like $20-30 all together. When you get under there and look you'll laugh at how easy it is. Taking the starter out and replacing it is a BITCH in the ST though due to its placement. If you do the cables and the relay you should be in good shape :)

Punisher
02-06-2005, 04:20 PM
What is that ST running a 4AFE or 7AFE?

I have a feeling that coolant is dripping unto your starter causing a short in the wiring.. causing your batteries to die.. that smoke you see when you plug a new battery in is probably from wire melting.

gt_turbo
02-07-2005, 06:39 PM
yea punisher that's the same theory i had in mind. as for engine code, i am not at all familiar with st's so i would guess 4afe.

thanks for the tips mike i will look into that relay.

and yes i towed it home myself and will be taking a look at it this weekend.

Punisher
02-07-2005, 07:34 PM
and as for the relay.. Celica's have a starter relay.. every car atleast newer ones use starter relay's... my '89 corolla had one...

Mike431635
02-08-2005, 08:43 AM
Yeah, they have one built into the starter somewhere I believe, but if there is one it is not adequate at all. Good luck with everything, gt. Let us know how it turns out.

Punisher
02-08-2005, 02:56 PM
If you are talking about a relay that sits between the ignition switch and the starter then it should be at the driverside kick panel fuse box.

gt_turbo
02-09-2005, 04:02 AM
i've seen a relay marked "starter relay" it's mounted on the side of the ecu. but i don't really think that is the problem. since all the smoke came out from my engine bay, i'm sure the starter or the starter cables got fried.

mike what's the "easiest" way to take out the starter? would it be easier taking it out from the top standing on the driverside or laying on the ground and trying to get it out from the bottom. reason being its kinda hard to see that area. thanks

ST162MECH
02-09-2005, 05:32 AM
Holy S#it a 4A or 7A thats crazy man you would never see anything like that in a celica in NewZealand wow I cant Belive it . Ok well im shocked here i am thinking we are talking about a 3S or sumthing like that. Ok i have done plenty of clutches on 4A-F's one bolt you can get to from on top the other one is the lower bolt and you can get to that from under the car and while you are under undo the power cable and solenoid plug.

Mike431635
02-09-2005, 07:19 AM
ST162MECH just about covered it. There's a screw you can get to from the top on the driver's side, and there's another one you have to get from the bottom. Then just unplug it and pull it out from the bottom. You'll need some assistance getting it back in unless you're really patient, cause someone has to put that top screw in while you hold the starter in place. It's possible alone but not fun.

Punisher
02-09-2005, 05:23 PM
I did it alone.. wasn't hard at all.. you just get the bolts started and then you can let go of the starter and finish them off.. don't forget to unplug your battery!

whtcelionteins
02-09-2005, 06:19 PM
Yea the bolt up top is a 17mm and the lower rear bolt is a 14mm and the wire connection to the starter is a 10mm. BTW, the 4AFE & 7AFE Starter locations are ideal for long lasting operation. FWD 4AGE'rs due this swap as heat kills starters. Have fun!

ST162MECH
02-10-2005, 06:35 AM
Yea the bolt up top is a 17mm and the lower rear bolt is a 14mm and the wire connection to the starter is a 10mm. BTW, the 4AFE & 7AFE Starter locations are ideal for long lasting operation. FWD 4AGE'rs due this swap as heat kills starters. Have fun!

All the corolla's i have done the starter bolts have been 14mm and the batt cable is 12mm but yeah they maybe different over there . So me just say to put my two cents worth in . :D

Punisher
02-10-2005, 02:14 PM
Here, atleast, the battery cable is 10mm and the one starter bolt is an engine/tranny fastening bolt.. if memory serves me right.. the bottom one is a real long 14mm and the top is the larger 17mm.

Either way who the hell cares.. it's a piss easy job to do.. i've done it on both the 4a and the 7afe

gt_turbo
02-12-2005, 11:23 PM
well i got the starter out and the cable. and it seems my theory that the leaking coolant caused the short was right. i had been driving with the coolant hose leak for a while since i was too lazy to mess with the hoses because they are a pain in the ass to play with. any who interestingly the positive starter cable where it connects to the stud and nut on the starter had completely broken out of the starter. so i had a corrosive looking hole on my starter. also the small thinner cable (i think the negative starter cable, anybody know exactly what its called, the one with the plastic black connectors) well it was melted onto the connector that was on the starter. i need a replacement for this wire, does autozone sell it, because i went to napa and they said they don't sell it. i don't want to wait till monday for toyota. so lesson learned fix coolant leaks when they happen. :lol:. i got that cracked hose out too, now i just need to buy a replacement and it should be all in there tomorrow.

Mike431635
02-12-2005, 11:42 PM
You should be able to reuse the connectors and buy some wire and make your own.. but I think Autozone may sell one. Only way to find out is to call them :P

Punisher
02-13-2005, 03:41 AM
That small wire is what actually makes the starter work.. the starter is constantly getting power from the battery.. from that big cable.. that small cable is what comes from the starter relay in the cabin.. which runs through the N. Safety Switch or clutch switch.. That cable is what energizes the selenoid in the starter to push the gears out and contact with the flexplate to crank the motor.. So once that small wire gets power, selenoid jumps out and then the contacts for the large wire that power the actual starter motor are engaged.

Easy enough and of course the starter just grounds to tranny.