PDA

View Full Version : A/C Recall/Open Campaign

grayscale
05-16-2007, 11:50 AM
I decided to start a new thread on this for two reasons-
1- I've noticed lately that a lot of people are unaware of this
b- I can't remember the campaign number
3- Philly and Kotah just got a screwed on it

We took kotahs to the dealer today to get an estimate on damage from a pothole in a Target parking lot. She asked about the AC recall on her's and theres an open campaign but the writer said they won't cover a car over 10 years old lol.
I'm hoping that some of the techs and Toyota employees and knowledgable others here will lend some info. I got this same b.s. line a few years ago when I took my one of my other 5thgens in for it. Went home feeling robbed but then called back later and pressed the issue until they let me have it. So if it's an open campaign how can they say no because of the year of the car?

PhillyDRFT
05-16-2007, 05:52 PM
Very awesome. I was planning to call a few other toyota dealers in the area. Theres about 5 around the city. So I'll keep you updated on what they say.

2kSnakEater
05-16-2007, 05:54 PM
.....whats with the A/C recall?? my 91 All-trac's a/c died and It would be pimp to get it fixed under a recall.

PhillyDRFT
05-16-2007, 05:56 PM
.....whats with the A/C recall?? my 91 All-trac's a/c died and It would be pimp to get it fixed under a recall.

It's a faulty pressure valve. They gave us some other BS about switching freon that we would have to pay extra.

Cavanagh
05-16-2007, 06:02 PM
What are the symptoms of it?

PhillyDRFT
05-16-2007, 06:04 PM
What are the symptoms of it?

Broke dick AC.

lol j/k It just lets all of your freon slowly escape so your AC doesn't work.

celica9303
05-16-2007, 08:29 PM
i took my car into the dealer for the a/c recall i found on alldata (school computer program) and brought the printed paper about the recall with me and they fixed it and switched my car from r-12 to r-134a and didnt charge me a thing. granted they fouund some other issues with the a/c and had to keep it an extra day (total hours spend on my car was like 14hrs) but they didnt charge anything due to the recall. ill see if i still have the paper work here at the house and post up a pic of it.

zmile06
05-16-2007, 11:19 PM
So my 93 toyota celica st has a recall for the A/C? How hard is it just to change the problem yourself?

alltracman78
05-17-2007, 01:40 AM
If it's a campaign it's free, period as far as I know.

A TSB is a different matter though.

I'll try to remember to check at work tomorrow.

3DZ
05-17-2007, 02:39 AM
i tried google looking for this A/C recall but did not see any list.
could you guys show me this recall so i can finally havea car with a working A/C

alltracman78
05-17-2007, 02:53 AM
Getting this done wont' gaurantee working AC..
You could have alot of problems with it.

1990CelicaGT-S
05-17-2007, 04:10 AM
I was acctually looking through the technical information on our cars at work this morning between cars. I wont be back until Tuesday but I can get the recall number that we have in our system.

insomnak8702
05-17-2007, 04:54 AM
was there a recall for our seatbelts not retracting properly?

Melchior
05-17-2007, 05:55 AM
I'd also like a recall for not having an adjustable torque bias on my Center diff.
kplzthnx.

Shadowlife25
05-17-2007, 08:05 AM
Maybe just post all TSB's, open recalls, and past recalls in this thread to keep it simple and easy to find. Just an idea.

1990CelicaGT-S
05-17-2007, 10:51 AM
Can do. But I won't be back to the garage until Tuesday so it will be a little.

PhillyDRFT
05-17-2007, 05:36 PM
Can anyone give a dealer / factory definition of Open and Closed Campaign?

alltracman78
05-18-2007, 04:32 PM
There is no such thing as a closed campaign.
It lasts for the life of the vehicle.

SSC P01 AC Expansion Valve.
Recharging the system is also covered.

If any of you want me to run your VIN to see if it has been done PM me your VIN.

alltracman78
05-18-2007, 04:35 PM
I decided to start a new thread on this for two reasons-
1- I've noticed lately that a lot of people are unaware of this
b- I can't remember the campaign number
3- Philly and Kotah just got a screwed on it

I'm hoping that some of the techs and Toyota employees and knowledgable others here will lend some info. I got this same b.s. line a few years ago when I took my one of my other 5thgens in for it. Went home feeling robbed but then called back later and pressed the issue until they let me have it. So if it's an open campaign how can they say no because of the year of the car?

There is no timelimit on SSCs.
We are STILL doing the front steering on late 80s and early 90s 4WD trucks.

Call Toyota.

grayscale
05-18-2007, 10:29 PM
That's the info we've all been waiting to hear, thanks again Jeremy!

sinkrite
05-19-2007, 12:39 AM
My AC's got a really small leak, I wonder if it actually could be due in part to they recalled . What information would I need, if I were to call or go into a dealer and ask about it? I don't want to just show up and be like, "this guy on the internet said..." :)

Luni
05-19-2007, 12:44 AM
You just call your local dealer and say that you understand there is/was an open recall on 90-93 celicas (might even be on 94-99 ones too), it was on MR2s as well too.

Anyway, give them your VIN and ask if there are any open campaigns. If there are, they will perform them for free.

sinkrite
05-19-2007, 01:09 AM
Awesome, thanks.

celicaGT90_05
05-19-2007, 02:39 AM
I saw in here somewhere of someone wanting to do it themselves, and to that I wouldnt....if you get any of that R12 or if they had switched to R134a by then, as soon as it touches your skin you'll have frostbite, so it's a very risky situation. If you can get it done for free then thats the best way to do it

donteatbugs
05-21-2007, 07:10 PM
it doesnt cause instant frostbite. it disipates into the atmosphere and causes the ozone to deplete. its about like co2 coming out though.

DarkSideCelica
05-21-2007, 08:05 PM
wow, free service > *

time to call my dealer up... my AC motor is making a clicking sound and it needs a recharge

alltracman78
05-21-2007, 11:02 PM
For those of you that sent me your VINs I got them.
The computer system was down at work this afternoon while I was free.
I will try again tomorrow.

it doesnt cause instant frostbite. it disipates into the atmosphere and causes the ozone to deplete. its about like co2 coming out though.

It can cause frostbite.
When something that is normally a gas at normal temps is compressed to a liquid inside a closed system that then looses pressure the liquid rapidly expands to a gas.
When you compress something it raises the temp.
When you expand it the temp lowers.

In this case drastically.
So, it is very possible to get frostbite from it if you just let it loose.

However it won't always happen. I've gotten it on my from broken lines and no frostbite.

And yes it also is supposed to be an ozone depleting gas.

celicaGT90_05
05-22-2007, 01:03 AM
yeah it can cause frostbite fairly quick so when messing with an A/C system, be very careful with it

3DZ
05-23-2007, 07:15 PM
called toyota service department today they said they don't have any Recall for this car.

celicaGT90_05
05-23-2007, 10:01 PM
:bigthumbu

alltracman78
05-23-2007, 11:32 PM
I answered those of you that PMed me.

Keep one thing in mind.
If your AC is broke, they will [are supposed to] change the valve for free and recharge.
But you can't really recharge a system that doesn't work.
And anything outside of replacing the valve and recharging they will charge you for.

grayscale
05-24-2007, 12:11 PM
called toyota service department today they said they don't have any Recall for this car.
You need to give them the campaign number mentioned earlier.

3DZ
05-24-2007, 04:28 PM
is this the campaign number ?

SSC P01 AC Expansion Valve

Sean
05-24-2007, 05:21 PM
I did this maybe.. 4 years ago. They fixed it, and recharged it for free. Worked like a dream!

Then I ripped out the entire AC system the next day. :hehe:

grayscale
05-24-2007, 08:22 PM
is this the campaign number ?

SSC P01 AC Expansion Valve
That's the one.

3DZ
05-24-2007, 10:55 PM
called the stealer ship again they said they don't see anything and i need to supply them with a letter.

any one have the letter??

alltracman78
05-25-2007, 01:14 AM
Disregard my PM.

I'll see what I can do.
I'm not promising you ANYTHING.

alltracman78
05-25-2007, 01:15 AM
Ask them to run your VIN in a vehicle inquiry.
That is how you pull it up.
If they tell you they can't they are lying.

BTW SSC is Special Service Campaign.

P01 is the actual number.

3DZ
05-25-2007, 05:17 AM
they did the vehicle inquiry, they said its not showing up.

thay said i need to bring in proof such as a letter or something.

where can i get that letter?

grayscale
05-25-2007, 11:58 AM
That dealership is giving you a load of shit. Do you have another one you can go to? There is no letter to get, they're blowing smoke up your arse. Next step is to go to the dealership in person if it's not too far from you. I never called the one I went to with my last one but they gave me the run around when I was there but as soon as I pressed the issue they magically found the SSP number.

alltracman78
05-26-2007, 02:24 AM
Yeah, go in person. Bring your VIN.

There is a letter Toyota sent out way back when the SSC was initiated. Either the previous owner didn't get the letter or didn't care.

3DZ
05-26-2007, 05:13 AM
will go there tomorrow.

Newbster
06-16-2007, 08:59 PM
Sorry to bring up a dead thread, but I'm scheduled this upcoming week for the dealership to fix the valve and recharge my system. They also told me that anything wrong outside of the valve and recharge, will all be on me... Does this mean that if the valve is the only problem with my AC that after this is done It should work perfectly? Wow I'm excited, its starting to get hot up here in the north.

DarkSideCelica
06-20-2007, 04:37 AM
just got mine done today.... the faces they made when i said i was bringing in a 17 year old car for a recall were priceless :lolhittin

they changed the valve and recharged the system... just in time for summer too :D

PhillyDRFT
06-20-2007, 11:26 AM
just got mine done today.... the faces they made when i said i was bringing in a 17 year old car for a recall were priceless :lolhittin

they changed the valve and recharged the system... just in time for summer too :D

I really hate to be a pain in the ass but is there any possible way you could scan a copy of your completed work order? Blanking out all of your personal information ofcorse. But leaving the dates that the work was done on. It would be amazing to bring to my dealer who gave us the run around about 10 years and 100k miles.

They want 190$ just to recharge the system to find the leak.

PhillyDRFT
06-23-2007, 01:11 AM
We called a different dealership today.

She scheduled an appointment for us, Ordered the part then called me back to adjust the appointment date for the day it will arrive. All within 20 minutes.

Newbster
06-25-2007, 01:37 PM
My AC worked great for 2-3 days after the recall, and today I tried it and now it doesnt work at all. Just blows hot air like it did before I brought it to the dealer. Can someone tell me what happened?

GT4SOM
06-25-2007, 02:28 PM
I don't think us guys running a 3sgte are eligible lol... are we?? They'll be like wtf this isn't a 2.2.

alltracman78
06-26-2007, 04:04 AM
A 3SGTE shouldn't effect it any.
The part is under the dash IIRC.

My AC worked great for 2-3 days after the recall, and today I tried it and now it doesnt work at all. Just blows hot air like it did before I brought it to the dealer. Can someone tell me what happened?

Probably a leak.
Either from the repair or previous to it.

liplip
06-26-2007, 10:03 PM
Is this US only or Canada too? My A/C only blows hot air.

davmac
06-26-2007, 10:18 PM
The campaign covered many Toyota models in the early 90s. I would be surprised if it was only US based. You have to provide a dealer with your VIN and ask they verify your car is covered by a Special Service Campaign P01 - A/C Expansion Valve. The dealer should also be able to see if the service has already been completed by a previous owner. If the work was not already done then they will do the repair. It is not clear and not likely that they will do anything other than replace the expansion valve and recharge the system. You will probably need to pay for other repairs if necessary to get your system working.

liplip
06-27-2007, 01:50 AM
I emailed Toyota Canada and this is what they wrote me back:

Thank you for your recent email.

We are pleased to advise that currently, there are no outstanding campaigns on the VIN you have provided.

When it is necessary for Toyota Canada Inc. to issue special service campaigns for vehicles, owner's of affected vehicles are notified by mail.

Should you so desire, you may reply to this e-mail confirming your name, correct mailing address, and Vehicle Identification Number to ensure that our files are up to date.

Thank you again for taking the time to write.

Sincerely,

Alice McNamee
Toyota Canada Inc.

Galcobar
06-27-2007, 02:04 AM
Yeah, don't trust that.

Melchior
06-27-2007, 03:26 AM
If that's all they wrote you couldn't that just mean someone else already got the service done? Just give a dealer your vin and ask them to check the history, maybe it's already been done.

KotahGTS
06-27-2007, 10:55 PM
*Philly on kotah's name.

We dropped the GT-S off at the dealer around 11 this morning. They just called to tell us that it's finished. Were leaving to get it now.

Call the dealers, have the SSC number on hand and tell them that you KNOW there is an open campaign. I got a very nice service writer who looked up the recall, ordered the parts and confirmed an appt for me all within 20 minutes.

The NEWER team toyota dealer that just re-opened after a ton of rennovation gave us a huge run around about the recall. telling us that we would have to pay 190$ just to have the system refilled with r-34a freon.

WarTowels
08-09-2007, 09:03 PM
Hey guys,

I just called Toyota of Portsmouth (NH) and the man I spoke with seemed to know what I was talking about. I gave him my VIN (JT2ST87F6P0148956) and said that my VIN did not qualify for "the range of VIN's effected".

Can anyone confirm this, or look up my VIN as well.

Cars a 93 GT.

I called another, nicer, Toyota Dealership and they informed me that VIN's after -013xxxx had the AC Expansion Valve on them already.

I'm guessing this only effects late 93' Models.

First bad thing about having a 93'!

Thanks,

-Towels