PDA

View Full Version : Short ram to CAI conversion

Newbster
05-16-2007, 02:11 AM
I have a short ram in my 5th gen and im looking to add to it and make it a cold air. Ive been looking in my engine and cant find a spot as to where I would put the thing, to get it down there. Where do you guys have your cold air intake/Where does it route to?

PhillyDRFT
05-16-2007, 02:18 AM
most people rout it under/behind the radiator and remove the splash guard or wiggle it into an open space in the bumper.

I've seen others rout it to the hole in the fender that is already there and keep the filter in the fender.

geebes
05-16-2007, 02:22 AM
This is one that seems like it is a good idea...http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20501

Ads28
05-16-2007, 04:24 AM
why yes yes it is a good idea:), had it on for like 7 months, not a single problem with it yet:)...but you defiently gatta keep that splash gaurd on or else ud get some serious water spray on ur filter:)..the gaurd keeps it clean and dry :) ive only cleaned the filter once since ive had it one, and it wasnt even that dirty that one time, i was just in there and figured id clean it:)......gives you a very nice sound to :)

Newbster
05-17-2007, 08:54 PM
You mean splash guard as in the wheel well, cardboard thing? Also you had to cut out that circle hole to get the intake in right?

geebes
05-17-2007, 09:23 PM
why yes yes it is a good idea:), had it on for like 7 months, not a single problem with it yet:)...but you defiently gatta keep that splash gaurd on or else ud get some serious water spray on ur filter:)..the gaurd keeps it clean and dry :) ive only cleaned the filter once since ive had it one, and it wasnt even that dirty that one time, i was just in there and figured id clean it:)......gives you a very nice sound to :)

:) :) Are you happy today?? :) :)

Noticed any actual performance difference vs. air box?

Ads28
05-18-2007, 02:11 AM
haha yeaa i was happy that day becuz my exhuast was suppose to be in, but now im sad becuz its taken 2 days to ship someing 300kms :brick: :( and it still isnt there yet soo gatta call in the morning....and no i didnt have to cut out the hole its already there from ur stock air box, just have to remove the MASSIVE air baffle thats in the fender, and yes the "wheel well cardboard thing" has to stay on...and finally yes better performance, and a sweet deep rumble on accel. defenitly worth doing IMO :woot:

Newbster
05-18-2007, 02:26 AM
How would I go about removing the big plastic air baffle thing? I noticed that too in my car? Just cut it up? Also wheres the best place to get these pipes?

Ads28
05-18-2007, 02:33 AM
hmm no cuttin required for me, pree sure it was only a few screws that were easy to see once u remove the splash guard...and the pipes i just got from a local auto performance store plently of places should sell something close enough for u to use for pipes..obvs theres nothin pre fabbed to fit ma design soo i just used a 45, a stright and then a 90 degree piece of piping

geebes
05-18-2007, 02:44 AM
What did you do with the sensor that plugs in to the box?

JasonX
05-18-2007, 02:54 AM
What did you do with the sensor that plugs in to the box?
yep that's a good question. i didn't see it either, unless it's underneath the piping. also another cheap place to get piping would be industrial place that sell pipe. just look under pipe or piping in the yellow pages. they always sell remnance for cheap and have every type of metal you can think of. i will be buying aluminum pipe, since the stainless is just out of wack these days. and at my work they have a mendrel bender. and finally to not the get the air hot from the engine, i will have insulated and lagged at work too. i'll show you guys the pics once i get some time in my hands.

Ads28
05-18-2007, 03:22 AM
mandrel bender at ur work...you lucky SOB haha there its one that exsists in my town !!! so gay..and the IAT sensor is there i just drilled a hole and used the grommet from the stock box and slide it in nice n tight:)..its on the under side:P thats why u cant see it:) had to keep the clean loook and im back to happy my exhuast finally arrived :):) 48hrs to travel 300kms haha brutal

JasonX
05-18-2007, 03:33 AM
mandrel bender at ur work...you lucky SOB haha there its one that exsists in my town !!! so gay..and the IAT sensor is there i just drilled a hole and used the grommet from the stock box and slide it in nice n tight:)..its on the under side:P thats why u cant see it:) had to keep the clean loook and im back to happy my exhuast finally arrived :):) 48hrs to travel 300kms haha brutal
haha :D i love that place. welders, insulators, fabricators, electricians, designers, engineers. it's pretty cool. can't imagine what else they could do. too bad i'm tight when it comes to money. biggest reasons why i haven't gone all out yet. but, you gotta let us see your exhaust sometime. glad your happy :) good idea on the IAT. on the ones they sell they have some kind of a flanged opening on the side, is that for the IAT. also they got little tube on the side, with plastic tubing, is that a breather, and if so what the heck is that, hmmm..

Ads28
05-18-2007, 01:52 PM
hmmm that tubing connects to the crank case on some vehicles, not mine, and provides fresh air right into the crankcase to help with emissions..i belive, not totally sure but i think its somethin like that

JasonX
05-19-2007, 04:26 AM
hmmm that tubing connects to the crank case on some vehicles, not mine, and provides fresh air right into the crankcase to help with emissions..i belive, not totally sure but i think its somethin like that
what size pipe did you use?