PDA

View Full Version : Humm

89gtcon
05-15-2007, 11:42 PM
Supra 86.5 inline 6 engine fitting in a 87 gt celica, i dont see it happoning, what about you, would be a sweet conversion though.......comment me on it! :brick:

ciento44
05-16-2007, 02:51 AM
Nope.

Unless you want to spend an inordinate amount of money on it, just to drive from the back seat.

Ricksta
05-16-2007, 03:30 AM
seems pointless to me. you miles well just go convert a gts into awd while your having pipe dreams :laugh:

Murgatroy
05-16-2007, 10:27 AM
Dreaming is fun.

You will need to fabricate an entire chassis, drivetrain, steering, etc. You would then essentially fit your Celica body on top of it.

It is possible. It has been (similar conversions) done.

You can purchase off the shelf setups, from a 4 link backhalf subframe to an all aluminum interior. Jegs and Summit both sell drop in font suspensions. You could assemble it all, and finish, depending on your level of skill or determination, for well under $10k.

It could run 10s in the 1/4 with some minor mods and tweaks. However, that would be all it was good for. It would not be a daily driver.

Murgatroy
05-16-2007, 10:36 AM
Personally if I were to do it (and I have thought a lot about it.)

I would put take a 5th Gen Coupe. Backhalved, with a Ford 9". Tubbed. 12"s minimum.4 Link setup, full tube chassis and cage. Mustang II front clip. LS1 minimum. The body would be chopped and channeled. The nose would be one piece.

The recipe and genre has been around for as long as cars themselves. This is what the original Hot Rods were. I have often wondered why the two schools force such a harsh separation, voluntarily.

To me, it is not a hard distinction to make. I have done it all my life. Nearly every modification, other than engine bolt-ons, I have ever made to an automobile have been fabricated. And I have done a fair share of that as well.

Although it is always easiest and safest to leave a car as close to the factory definition as possible, it is not 'law.'

Take Bill Strong's Northstar powered Mrk I MR2. Or Adrian's FWD V6 Celica, or the Brit fellow (sorry I forgot your name) with teh V6 ST185. Then there is the RWD V8 ST185RC in Oz...

It is all possible with desire.

KoreanJoey
05-16-2007, 10:41 AM
I think that "brit fellow" is from NZ or AUS...

Murgatroy
05-16-2007, 10:46 AM
Ha! No! I read his post history till I found him mention his cost in pounds! I don't know how to make the fancy symbol like he used, and I am too lazy to copy/paste. I just had to prove I was right. :hehe:

I am in a mean mood, I am sorry Joey. ;)

85gtsblackman
05-18-2007, 03:02 AM
use a 3rd gen celica