PDA

View Full Version : My battery just exploded!

Mike431635
02-04-2005, 09:27 PM
No, really, it did! I was about a mile from my house just a few minutes ago and I turned the radio on, about 2 minutes later the rpm's started jumping all over the place, then went straight to zero and I couldn't get the car to go so I was just coasting. Then power came back and I started smelling a very foul smell coming from the engine bay. I was only a block from my house so I took it easy and 20 seconds later I pulled up in my driveway. I got out of the car and saw smoke pouring from the hood, opened it up and flames jumped out at me.

So I ran into the house and me, my gf, my dad, and my sis started filling up cups of water and quickly put it out. The positive end of the battery is nothing but a big void, my air filter is toast, and the postive battery cables (everything that was connected to the positive pole) was fried. I don't think it caused any damage to the ECU, though. Just gave me a HUGE scare.

Anyhow, what would cause this? I believe it was a short or overload for sure, but what could do it? My gf's dad says it could be the voltage regulator in the alternator. I also just installed some of those Procarparts euro reverse gauges and grounded them to a piece of metal under the dash loosely and that could have come undone. The hot wire for the gauges is wired into the cigarette lighter, FYI. If that ground came undone, could this be the cause?

I'm scared and thankful at the same time because if I wasn't close to my house, my car would have burned up for sure.

dman
02-04-2005, 09:30 PM
geez, at least you were near your house like u said. glad that your ok tho dude. hmm take some pics to show the damage. hope you get it fixed soon

CelicaGT4
02-04-2005, 09:38 PM
yes, i'd like to see some picks of this. Get an optima and you won't have to worry about battery acid and all that shit.

Rayme
02-04-2005, 09:41 PM
I bet your positive pole got into contact with your hood or another grounded piece. take a look under the hood.

Ya didn't have the positive rubber cap on uh?

EDIT : I looked at your pic, you have the little cap, mmmhh

Sean
02-04-2005, 09:44 PM
Yep, my fire extinguisher is going back into the car.

Very very sorry to hear this man, i have no clue what would cause that!! Glad your car is alright, fire in my car is seriously one of my worst nightmares!

Adrian Avgerinos
02-04-2005, 09:46 PM
It could have been the voltage regulator causing the alternator to overcharge the battery. More than likely the battery probably shorted out internally. How old was the battery and what brand?

Mike431635
02-04-2005, 10:17 PM
Yeah we just took another look at it and have concluded that there is NO WAY anything external caused this, unless it was the voltage regulator. We think the battery just shorted out internally. It's a Valucraft that I got from Autozone a couple months ago, but it was one of those remanufactured ones. My old battery I bought from there wouldn't hold a charge, had to exchange it, and that's the only option they gave me.

There is a ground wire that is completely toast, it needs to be replaced. The ground and positive wires for the starter need to be replaced. The stereo positive wire needs to have a new end put on it. I'm going to buy an Optima red top and just be done with the el-cheapo batteries. I'm about to go wash out the engine bay with baking soda in a few minutes to clean up the battery acid.

I have an appointment at XAT Racing on Wednesday to have an oil leak fixed and heater control valve fixed, so I'm going to have them fix the wiring problem too. My dad wants me to sell the car now, but I'd just end up buying Personalhell's 3SGE-powered 5th gen anyhow. I'll take some pics in a few minutes, but they'll be from my cell phone since the digital cam is out of batteries and I have no transportation.

Mike431635
02-04-2005, 10:52 PM
Pics of the damage (once again, bad pics cause it was with a cell phone):

http://hosted.docman.cc/Mike431635/battery1.jpeg
http://hosted.docman.cc/Mike431635/battery2.jpeg
http://hosted.docman.cc/Mike431635/battery3.jpeg

AllOutRed90
02-04-2005, 11:03 PM
wow thats nice too good lol

ibanezgfx
02-05-2005, 12:26 AM
holy shit!!

85gtsblackman
02-05-2005, 02:44 AM
sooooo u bought a valucrap battery that was reconditioned, wonder why it blew up :slap:

ummmmmmmm yeah :ugh:

thats worse than the walmart everstart battery's that die after a year.

well at least the paint is ok, oh yeah and u didnt burn up.

actally we had one of those batterys up at the shop this week explode , it sucked too :madfawk:

Mike431635
02-05-2005, 03:06 AM
I didn't really have a choice. I had a pretty good battery before, but this one was a free replacement and I couldn't choose :(

Optima is going in though.

chinaonnitrous1
02-05-2005, 03:28 AM
GREAT TIME to upgrade your positive cable with some serious 4ga, 2ga, or even 0ga from your battery to alternator. =) Upgrade and clean your ground to your frame and engine block too. Gread mods if you run amplifiers.

ibanezgfx
02-05-2005, 06:49 AM
GREAT TIME to upgrade your positive cable with some serious 4ga, 2ga, or even 0ga from your battery to alternator. =) Upgrade and clean your ground to your frame and engine block too. Gread mods if you run amplifiers.

i might be doin that soon. you should post some stuff bout how to go about doin that in my thread "replaceing alternator wire" lol

acidice333
02-05-2005, 03:40 PM
Bravo on that battery!
You should take some better quality photos of it sometime.

I had an incident a few days ago where the metal battery holder thing clipped my positiive wire that goes to the cigerette lighter.
Now the metal holder thing is kinda warped :D

Abacaba
02-05-2005, 11:29 PM
Maybe the battery was leaking?

Mike431635
02-05-2005, 11:42 PM
Yeah Akshay, it was something like that. I asked a number of people about it, including a guy that works at Autozone. He said they warranty 10 or more of those batteries a day, and probably 1 out of every 100 has the same problem mine had, only the damage isn't usually that bad. Everyone I talked to says Valucraft is crap-- not only the batteries, but the brake components and everything else along with 'em.

85gtsblackman
02-06-2005, 12:13 AM
yeah its bad when they are giving em away

alltracman78
02-06-2005, 12:43 AM
Any time something has value or quality or ect in the name, I don't trust it :D