PDA

View Full Version : Car Body for build up

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
05-11-2007, 11:39 PM
is a car junkyard the best bet for getting a car body/frame to build yourself?...forever i have wanted a 93-98 supra and there is no way i am going to be able to afford them so i figured that just getting a supra body/frame from a junkyard, then building it from ground up may be the cheaper bet, maybe not in the long run, but on the other hand it will be over a longer time, and the money can be spent when i want and not like a monthly payment type thing, but ya, any thoughts on this idea or really what i want is if there is anywhere online i can look for a thing like this, cuz if they sell front clips of cars, i would think they could sell full non working cars....HELP IS MUCH APPRECIATED

85gtsblackman
05-11-2007, 11:48 PM
get a 87-92 supra they look meaner

or u can get a 3rd gen

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
05-12-2007, 05:00 AM
how much did you sell your stx for at 264k?? you like that car?

T-spoon
05-12-2007, 05:29 AM
If you find a cheap 93-98 shell.. it's either theft recovery with a properly trashed interior, or more likely, a FUXED body. People arguing that salvage is fine is all good and well, but if you're building a car to have tons and tons of power, you don't want a body that's screwed up, that's just asking to kill yourself.

The stxman has good advice. Solid MKIII chassis are all over the place and can be had cheap. Heck, a full running MKIII can be had cheap.

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
05-12-2007, 05:57 AM
ya that is true, but i also have that voice in my head telling me that it would be fun to build a supra from the ground up...ha...insane voice let me tell you, but a voice it is, haha...k, thanks for the advice about 3rd gen supras, i have also looked into some nice ones that are fully built and what not, i dont really have money now, but i will after the summer so i have just been researching all sorts of things from selling my st to get an all trac, or get a mk3 or just lookin in junkyards for supra shells for the hell of it...but ya ill def keep lookin at 3rd gen supras and wont throw out the idea of getting one of those

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
05-12-2007, 05:58 AM
o ya, how much hp does your supra have? you taken it to the track? if so what have you ran?

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
05-12-2007, 07:07 AM
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=21&pageNumber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=ascending&sortfield=PRICE+ascending%2CPRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&criteria=K-%7CE-%7CM-_47_%7CD-_437_%7CN-N%7CR-10000%7CI-1%7CP-PRICE+ascending%2CPRICE+descending%7CQ-ascending%7CZ-32605&aff=national&paId=228205734&recnum=22&leadExists=true

see, cars like this, definitely dont need to be 14500 dollars....this is the kind of supra i would like to pick up, one that just needs some body work done, because i have connections in that area...found a good one for under 10grand on ebay, but unfortunately, its nowhere near where i live...

85gtsblackman
05-12-2007, 12:19 PM
the stx got to the point where everytime i saw it i wanted to just light the thing on fire , it looked nice, rode ok, but always had lil shit problems and it got to the point i was working on it every single day, i traded it to a ditzy lady my gts in my sig, i dont regret it a bit

so for the green stx i got a 3rd gen celica and 500 bux on top of that

oh and u can buy andy10889's 3rd gen celica and drop a 7mgte in it and put in a mk1 supra rear end and run a 13 flat, and thats spinning the whole way down the track on 14s

oh and to build something really fun if u must have a supra, put a 2jzgte with a 1jzgte head, cams and a slightly bigger turbo into an mk3 supra , it will shit all over an mk4

Cavanagh
05-12-2007, 05:02 PM
People underestimate MKIII's. There sick ass cars, with awesome potential. I know T-Spoon has some pretty good numbers with his.

PhillyDRFT
05-12-2007, 10:33 PM
*Cough* Fast and the furious *Cough*

J/k Everyone loves the diamond in the rough. The idea of taking a shitty rock and cutting it into a diamond. Like t-spoon said, you're not going to find one with a straight frame. Think about it this way the cars hold there value. It would have to accumulate over 15k in damage to be totaled. Depending on year and trim.

IF IF IF: you can find one that has flood damage. You have a better chance at restoring it, you'll just have to replace everything electrical in the car... See where I'm going with this? It will cost you more to rebuild one than to just buy a running 93-98 supra.

I love the older ones too. I like sharp body lines. and they can put down a nice amount of power. The interior could be nicer but it's an 80's car so I'll just pretend I'm Axle Foley and it'll work out.

85gtsblackman
05-12-2007, 11:07 PM
< goes to get a detroit lions jacket

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
05-13-2007, 03:02 AM
ya, like i said before i have also been lookin at 3rd gens and what not on ebay and i have found some pretty nice ones and what not and i think that will be my next car unless some miracle comes and lots and lots of money just happens to come to me, then i will get a 4th gen but check out this vid i found on you tube showin 3rd gen power...

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=MK3+Supra+vs+Ryan+Woon%27s+90 0hp+momnster+Mk4&search=Search

cms-gt4
05-13-2007, 03:14 AM
MK3s are cool, I am about to go check out one with a v8.

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
05-13-2007, 03:38 AM
check this one out, this one looks real clean on the outside and under the hood, and was built up by a pro shop in orlando,FL which is only bout an hr or two away from me...if only i had the money right now dammit...ha...check it out....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1987-Toyota-Supra-TURBO-7K-Titan-Motorsports-Build-Up_W0QQitemZ120119348143QQihZ002QQcategoryZ6447QQr dZ1QQcmdZViewItem

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
05-13-2007, 04:36 AM
yo stxman, i see you are in jville, you gettin alotta smoke up there??? you been evacuated at all or anything?

1990CelicaGT-S
05-13-2007, 09:00 PM
I know a guy who bought an MK4 for $500. It was shit when he bought it. This is where the money comes in though. Now it's a $50 000 or so monster putting around 500hp to the ground.