PDA

View Full Version : opinions... fix or sell...

2003cbgts
05-11-2007, 08:35 AM
month or so back my 92 gt had a small fire under the hood. basically, it burned the battery in half, my short ram filter and the fuse box. the engine and everything else is unharmed. but, it melted the wiring harness (wiring) in a few places.. one mechanic looked at it and said it would be well over 1000 for them to do it... then this young guy my dad knows said he would do it, i just need parts and he would just charge 200 to do it all. i have already bought a new celica, but i really dont wanna get rid of it.. all i really need is a complete wiring harness and fuse box and battery and im set... what should i do? think its fixable?

1990CelicaGT-S
05-11-2007, 08:45 AM
That definatly sounds fixable. Sorry to hear about the fire. PM me about a wiring harness because I have one extra from a 90 GT.

Shadowlife25
05-11-2007, 09:32 AM
Fix it if you got the cash. Plus if you do decide to sell it later, you can ask for what it's worth.

2003cbgts
05-11-2007, 09:33 AM
im just scared that if i do go to the trouble and get the parts, that it still might not work or somthing... thanks for offering the harness, but the toyota guy i talked to said i would pretty much need one from as close to my exact car as i could get.. (92 gt manual).

Shadowlife25
05-11-2007, 09:42 AM
90-91 = same harness and ecu. These are rev.1 (I believe)
92-93 = same harness and ecu These are rev.2 (I believe)
If I'm wrong then someone please correct me. I hope this helps you some. Personally I would put up a post in the want to buy section and see if anything pops up soon.

85gtsblackman
05-11-2007, 12:26 PM
WAIT WHAT CAUSED THE FIRE???? , u dont want to fix it and it incenerate on u again

1990CelicaGT-S
05-11-2007, 12:33 PM
Good point.

Trance4c
05-11-2007, 01:31 PM
Harnesses can't be that hard to come by for a standard FWD 5S-FE GT or GTS from 90-93 to replace it with. I would check your local junkyards and figure out what part of the harness you need. Then replace it. If everything else in the car is fine.. I would definitely fix it!

Joe is right though, you need to figure out why there was a fire first. Secondly, keep a fire extinguisher in the car! I have carried one for the past 6 years.

2003cbgts
05-11-2007, 05:52 PM
it was the battery cables... it was a really old battery to being with .. like a 2000 model... so that wont happen again.. now just finding a wiring harness and fuse box.. i found a couple on car-part.com but it just says wiring harness.. i guess that means the complete wiring under the hood right'?

Fuelish
05-11-2007, 05:52 PM
Secondly, keep a fire extinguisher in the car! I have carried one for the past 6 years. Not a bad idea (one that I haven't implemented, though...heh) My brother carries an extinguisher in his '66 Porsche 911, and needed it one day for an engine fire ... damage was very minor, but gave him a "good" excuse to have car sandblasted and restored to original factory color (someone had painted it a weird blue/purple color, car was originally Porsche red, which it is now again - car looks awesome, considering it's age (although a factory stock '66 911 wasn't and isn't all that fast)......he "wants" to sell it, but he ain't trying very hard ;) ) It's a timeless design.....damn, if I could only hit the lottery, I'd buy it offa him (I have the room for a 3rd car, but not the $$$)
Fire extinguisher is a good idea indeed .... as well as the advice to find out what originally caused the fire in the first place (if op hasn't already - wasn't mentioned in the post...). Spending $$$/time to fix it only to have it happen again would suck out loud !!!