PDA

View Full Version : removal of oil pan?

zmile06
05-09-2007, 09:13 PM
I'm having forcedfab remove and powdercoat my oil pan blah blah, but he read some place that its 3 1/2 hours to do it? Its a 93 4afe automatic, can anyone refer me to a webpage that would explain the hours to do it or process?

2kSnakEater
05-09-2007, 10:07 PM
I just read your post, and I cant understand why?

Fuelish
05-09-2007, 11:34 PM
.....but he read some place that its 3 1/2 hours to do it?..... 3 1/2 hours to remove oil pan ???? ... or are you talking remove, thoroughly clean, powdercoat, and reinstall ??? Big difference....Am not too familiar with powdercoating process, but would imagine total job (removal/clean/powdercoat/dry/reinstall) would likely be at least 3 1/2 hours (if not longer ....again, dunno the specifics of powdercoating) ... but then again, I dunno ...

1990CelicaGT-S
05-09-2007, 11:51 PM
On the 5S it's fairly accesible from underneath the car. I only remember the downpipe being in the way. It should be much different.

zmile06
05-10-2007, 12:19 AM
No im talking about 3 hours to REMOVE it. He said 1 motor mount 1 cross member oil pan dipstick and a couple other things. I'm not positive where hes getting his information?

My haynes book says disconnect crossmember remove the block-to-transaxel brace remove the bolts and detach the oil pan.

1990CelicaGT-S
05-10-2007, 03:01 AM
Maybe you should bring the manual in just to let him take a look at it. He may have not worked on one of these before.

grayscale
05-10-2007, 11:50 AM
Not sure about the time, but yeah, you gotta remove a lot of crap to get at that damn pan, same on the 5s. 3.5hrs would probably be about right for install and removal.

I've got to ask you something though- why would you paint your oil pan? After 50 miles it's gonna look like a mess.

zmile06
05-10-2007, 12:56 PM
Not sure about the time, but yeah, you gotta remove a lot of crap to get at that damn pan, same on the 5s. 3.5hrs would probably be about right for install and removal.

I've got to ask you something though- why would you paint your oil pan? After 50 miles it's gonna look like a mess.

powdercoat, its pretty sturdy? Because if its coming off why not powdercoat it? I think its leaking, and i already bought the OEM sealent and crap.

grayscale
05-10-2007, 02:10 PM
I guess if you keep the plastic guards up underneath it'll be ok. Powdercoating is not all that "sturdy" unless you pay more for extra mils or "coats". Powdercoat is measured in mils and the thicker the stronger as with any other paint, but like other paints it's doesn't hold up well against chipping from say rocks and such on the road. But like I said, if you put the guards back on it should be fine.