PDA

View Full Version : 5th Gen Short Shifter does fit a 4th Gen...

Murgatroy
05-08-2007, 09:19 PM
When we had our meet up here Grayscale had a spare short shifter. He gave it too me. This afternoon I finally got around to installing it. Sort of.

I went out and bought some grease this afternoon and got down to it.

It was freaking simple. I am aware that I am more mechanically apt then the next mokey with tools, but I wasn't expecting it to be this simple. You remove your center console, take off a metal coverplate that protects the shifter and then get down to removing the old shifter.

You have 4 bolts, one has a nut on the end of it. 10mm on top, 12mm on the bottom. Remove these. After that you remove the top piece that holds the shifter rod in place. For me, the old shifter popped right out. It was cake. The new shifter, once liberally greased fits right back in. I did have to use a rubber mallet to set the nylon bushing into the bottom shifter cable. Assembly is just like removal.

And this is where I ran into my problem. Yes, there is a problem. All I got was the shifter, no washers or anything else. I think washers would solve the issue. I can not get into 5th or reverse. My solution? Grind out the part of the shifter assembly that is preventing my movement. The short shifter has a longer bottom rod, that is what makes the throws shorter, as thus it is striking the bottom of the shifter assembly plate. Where it bolts to the floor. As mentioned this might not be an issue if you have the washers to raise the shifter. This is an easy fix. I am off to locate a grinder now. I will return with pictures and a cleaner write-up.

NDMstang65
05-08-2007, 09:36 PM
I think the only thing you need to do is as you said, some washers underneath the plate..i think the ones that came in my kit add up to approx 1/8" thick.

Good to know the 5th gen will work :)

Murgatroy
05-08-2007, 10:42 PM
I don't feel like paying $30 for a grinder so I am trying to fab up some washers now to fit under the cup. That is the bitch right now. I can put regular washers under it, but I don't want them to slide out, so I am searching the house now for what I can improvise with.

Update soon.

Murgatroy
05-08-2007, 11:34 PM
Alrighty then.

Simple solution. I can't believe I didn't think of it sooner. I took the factory washer, and wrapped in in duct tape until it was as thick as I needed it, put some washers under the plate for the screws so they wouldn't bite too deep on the ghetto washer and bam! It is done. Still scrubs a bit going into reverse, but as soon as I get my hands on a grinder that will all be fixed. Otherwise smooth as a button and hits all gears just fine.

Shadowlife25
05-09-2007, 02:52 AM
Good work Murg! can you potentially get some extra factory washers out of another one? Might have the same desired effect?

Murgatroy
05-09-2007, 03:01 AM
Possibly. I was just looking for a fast solution and I refused to go back with the stock shifter. I was determined to make it work. Like I said a shifter kit should come with the pieces to make it work without modifying it. And the lithium grease makes it shift like buttah.

Sometime this week I am gonna try to get down to my garage and take a grinder to the bottom of the shifter assembly and grind out the part that is in the way, after that it will shift fine.

Shadowlife25
05-09-2007, 10:04 AM
Well, I think if you get to take pics of the process ( since you'll have to take it out again to grind on it anyhow ) it would make a nice write-up.

1990CelicaGT-S
05-09-2007, 10:12 AM
It definatly would. I'm assuming this would work the other way around as well? 4th gen shifter on a 5th gen?

Shadowlife25
05-09-2007, 10:36 AM
I'm going on the assumption that since the short throw 5th gen shifter has a longer section after the fulcrum point, that a standard one would fit with no issue. I say this only because this seems to be the section of it that needs any modification if I'm reading Murg correctly here.

(A fulcrum is the support or point of support on which a lever turns in raising or moving something) Just in case anyone was wondering ;)