PDA

View Full Version : New Celica

extrem82starlet
05-08-2007, 07:23 AM
i jsut got a 90 celica GTS with the bubble fenders. it current have the 2.2 16valve and i want to put the 3sgte from an altrac in it. the thing is it has an auto transmission. i was told to ask here for some advice. i asked on another site and they told me it can be done but i need an AEM EMS (no big deal $2k price tag). also i was wondering will the AEM EMS work on a JDM 3sgte?

KoreanJoey
05-08-2007, 07:32 AM
There are several choices for an aftermarket ECU but it isn't necessary to to get the 3sgte to work in your celica. Check the forced induction page for some guides.

1990CelicaGT-S
05-08-2007, 07:52 AM
Welcome to CTech also.

Shadowlife25
05-08-2007, 07:59 AM
The AEM ems isn't necessary. If you are bent on getting an EMS I'd go with a HYDRA setup. Much better IMO. Look in the Forced Induction forum for a multitude of threads regarding the 3SGTE swap. It will be simplified in your vehicle since it's a gts model, which is a plus.
Welcome to C-Tech!

extrem82starlet
05-08-2007, 08:16 AM
thank you for the warm welcome im jsut a bit confused after reading threw the orginal foreced induction post

burnyd
05-08-2007, 01:08 PM
i jsut got a 90 celica GTS with the bubble fenders. it current have the 2.2 16valve and i want to put the 3sgte from an altrac in it. the thing is it has an auto transmission. i was told to ask here for some advice. i asked on another site and they told me it can be done but i need an AEM EMS (no big deal $2k price tag). also i was wondering will the AEM EMS work on a JDM 3sgte?

you need an aem ems lol? did you ask y you needed a ems? get the wiring done on a 3sgte engine harness to match your body harness...... but being that its an auto the transmission will not work you will need the 5spd trans and all the shifter parts to make it work.

bongbbreakin
05-08-2007, 02:37 PM
welcome n00b, use the search button, it is key! :bigthumbu

1990CelicaGT-S
05-09-2007, 04:17 AM
Not to threadjack but wouldn't the auto trans fit a 3S-GTE because it is still within the "S" series?

Thanks

extrem82starlet
05-10-2007, 05:59 AM
ok so i'm decieded lol. ripp it all out haha: 2.2l A/T 9and the crap that goes with it unless it would work eith a manual? and put in the 3S-GTE and change the tranny to M/T. sounds like a plan?

Lagos
05-10-2007, 06:20 AM
there are a lot of people on this site that have done this swap to their 4th-5th-6th gen celicas. its pretty well documented in the stickes. read over all the info here...
http://celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20023

welcome to the site. youll learn a lot about your car here.

extrem82starlet
05-10-2007, 05:33 PM
thank you ^.^ glad to be a part of this wonderful group and i have my g/f to thank for donating her car that im not turning into my tuned monster

andy
05-10-2007, 05:37 PM
^ thats a good plan, the 3sgte is uber l337

extrem82starlet
05-10-2007, 06:03 PM
ok so one last stupid question can sum 1 direct me to a parts list of every thing i need from an alltrac to make it work the guys at jarco need to know there gunn pull the engine and all the parts i need for the swap but he wants to make sure that he gets them all. please help asap

donteatbugs
05-10-2007, 06:16 PM
why not get the whole front clip with an uncut engine harness....that would be the best place to start. you would get all the 5 spd parts and just have to cut the holes and bolt them up on the other side of your engine bay. you will need the clutch lines, shifter, cables, brakets, bezzel, clutch and brake peddle, master cylinder...plus some more stuff....it would be best to get the clip though.

extrem82starlet
05-10-2007, 06:29 PM
hum i guess i could but shipping is $800 ontop of the $4k price tag of the half cut.

donteatbugs
05-10-2007, 06:56 PM
it will be worth it for all the extras parts you will get. plus there are a lot of things you can sell off that clip to make some of your money back. you will also need a 5spd trans from either a 5s solara, older v6 camry, gt or gts celica, or a converted mr2 trans. the one that comes with the engine you can sell on alltrac.net, they go through transmissions a lot. you should be able to use the engine harness off the clip and repin some of it on the car...im not positive on this part but i know it will work because it has been done many times before. the hardest part will be the clutch and shifter stuff. you might need the 5 spd trans brackets too. i dont know if they are the same as the auto ones.

extrem82starlet
05-11-2007, 03:51 PM
ok so im purchesing my St185 front clip today whoo whoot and can any one suggest where to geta front mount intercooler kit ?

2kSnakEater
05-11-2007, 04:09 PM
good luck selling an All-Trac tranny, most people just throw it away.

Im always looking for a few spares but Im not going to pay anything for one unless its the RC/CS tranny.

extrem82starlet
05-11-2007, 04:19 PM
rc/cs ??

extrem82starlet
05-11-2007, 05:05 PM
so what a crock of shit i call jarco to order my clip which the sit says they have and they dont have any and wont for months boo on them

donteatbugs
05-11-2007, 06:04 PM
id pay 200 for a regular jdm trans picked up, and 400 for a 205 or rc trans. the low miles is the selling factor for them though. and the 92-93 ones are much better than the 90-91 as far as synchros go.

extrem82starlet
05-11-2007, 06:32 PM
ok so jarco is out of the question any one know any other good sites i can get my st185 clip from ?
thanx

ciento44
05-11-2007, 06:37 PM
rc/cs ??

Limited Edition ST185. Came with upgraded internals, water to air intercooler, cooler hood and bumper, better tune, transmission with better synchros, and i believe slightly shorter gearing. Most also came with a Torsen rear.

We never got it over here.

extrem82starlet
05-11-2007, 06:54 PM
sweet i didnt know that thanx for the extra info

2kSnakEater
05-11-2007, 06:56 PM
If Jarco doesnt have any, I would seriously wait until they do. Have them place you on a waiting list or somthing.

Trance4c
05-11-2007, 07:21 PM
you will pay to play, and even then.. you will continually be doing work. I am removing my engine for the 4th time in 6 years now. AT to Manual conversion is possible.. look for the clutch pedal, hydrolic clutch pieces for that and the transmission obviously. You will have to decide on what transmission, E153 MR2 turbo or stock GTS S53. Considering you are coming from an AT.. I wouldn't waste my time spending money on an S53 and axles. Go straight for the MR2 or Camry V6 transmission. Then you will need hybrid Mr2/Alltrac axle setups. The transmission choices and options are wide and various, no one can really tell you what is best for you, you will just need to read up and research on it. I have given you the best option above with the MR2 E153 turbo tranny I believe.

As for the rest of the swap, it all is pretty straight forward. You will have to pay attention to what connected where when you remove the original engine (unless you have prior automotive knowledge, you will then identify a lot of like parts, they just look different from model/make). Keep yourself organized, pay attention, you should be alright.

1990CelicaGT-S
05-11-2007, 07:28 PM
$4000 for the front clip? Are you looking at the ST205 clip because I thought the 185's were closer to $2500.

ciento44
05-11-2007, 07:55 PM
$4000 for the front clip? Are you looking at the ST205 clip because I thought the 185's were closer to $2500.

Yeah, i thought that sounded weird, too...

But apparently it's definitely worth it to get the ST205 clip, after much talk with Play and Luni about it.

90CelicaST
05-11-2007, 08:09 PM
ST185 Celica - Includes 3S-GTE Engine, 5-Speed AWD Transmission, and Fuel Pump $2,195

ST205 Celica - Includes 3S-GTE Engine, 5-Speed AWD Transmission, and Fuel Pump $3,995

NDMstang65
05-11-2007, 10:08 PM
there are a lot of people on this site that have done this swap to their 4th-5th-6th gen celicas. its pretty well documented in the stickes. read over all the info here...
http://celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20023

welcome to the site. youll learn a lot about your car here.

Put a link to my thread in that for a 5th gen ST swap :)

Even though i am around a lot and it is in my sig..

:bigthumbu

pleeease

OP: Welcome to Ctech!

Trance4c
05-11-2007, 10:20 PM
Yeah, i thought that sounded weird, too...

But apparently it's definitely worth it to get the ST205 clip, after much talk with Play and Luni about it.

Yep.. for the amount of money at a specific hp goal range, I agree. If you want 300whp out of the box more or less, GenIII for the money. You'd need - bored fuel rail, FPR, pump, cams, CT27 or GenIII Ct20b turbo and a nice flowing exhaust to even have a chance to reach that. A turbo and cams alone will be the price difference, and the Gen III comes with 550cc injectors out of the box making is more versatile than the Gen II stock setup. Not to mention a number of added benefits.

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
05-11-2007, 11:28 PM
i didnt notice anyone respond to your question about will ur tranny fit on 3sgte motor and will it match up( if they did sry i missed it) but IMO, throwin away a manual tranny to put in an auto would be plain stupid/boring, manual is def more fun, and now that you are gettin a clip, you will already have the manual tranny on the motor so it would of course be best to just keep it there...

extrem82starlet
05-12-2007, 04:11 AM
u guys r all awsome i had made to many stupid mistakes i have my ducks ina row. this is my plan: st185 clip a/t to m/t swap(ill do the upgrade to the turbo mr2 tranny ata later date) and yes the st205 clip is way more and it from what i gather would have the nesscary parts to do the tranny conversion. and i have found a beams clip ^^ that i may look into but im not sure what that means i've jsut gathered thatits better in sum ways if any one knows let me know.

Playfortoday
05-12-2007, 05:29 AM
The BEAMS in terms of the 5th gen swap is a 3SGE non turbo engine. If you want turbo, stay with the 3SGTE. Although the power out of the box is the same as a stock ST185, you don't have the awesomeness of a turbo to play with. Here is the wiki article on the BEAMS engine:

The fourth generation 3S-GE, also known as the BEAMS 3S-GE began production in 1997. The first version was equipped with VVT-i and produced around 200 bhp (149 kW). It was available in a few models sold only in Japan - the MR2 G and G-Limited, the Celica ST202 SS-II and SS-III and the Caldina. BEAMS is an acronym which stands for Breakthrough Engine with Advanced Mechanism System.

In 1998 a second version was released with dual VVT-i (variable timing on both the intake and exhaust cams), titanium valves and a slightly higher compression ratio. This engine powered the Altezza RS200 and produced around 206 bhp (154 kW).

The two variants are easily identifiable by colour. The cam covers on the earlier model are red and on the later model, black. They are often referred to as the "Red Top" and the "Black Top" respectively.

The "Grey Top" BEAMS 3S-GE was available engine option in the Rav4 in Japan. Even though the valve cover on this engine is black, it is referred to as "Grey Top" to differentiate it from the Dual-VVTi "Black Top" in the Altezza. Power output is 177 bhp (131 kW, 180 PS) @ 6600 RPM.

Welcome to the site!