PDA

View Full Version : Greddy SP2 for a 94 celica gt

JasonX
05-08-2007, 06:21 AM
http://www.impactparts.com/greddyprice.htm
at this website they are offering Greddy SP2 catback for my 94 celica gt for $399 plus shipping around $45. what you guys think? it supposed to be good performance, nice tone(not so loud). any advice? also they are saying 60mm. is that a good size?

PhillyDRFT
05-08-2007, 06:43 AM
60mm is 2.36 inches. So It will flow nice on the 5sfe without being too large.

I know a few subaru's who have them and have been happy. The price doesn't sound bad ither. I think you'll enjoy it.

JasonX
05-08-2007, 06:51 AM
thanks philly. :)

PhillyDRFT
05-08-2007, 07:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=greddy+sp2+celica&search=Search

theres 3 videos there. They should give you a decent reference. I personally would keep the cat. Maybe a resonater. It sounds a little ricey but I can't tell if thats because it's a cat-less system. The SP2 Pipes with the greddy can doesn't sound too bad but it might be muffled from having a stock cat / exhaust manifold. Speeking strictly from a sound point, not performance.

JasonX
05-08-2007, 07:36 AM
sounds pretty good. i think mine will be a little bit quiter. The resonator, does that come with the cat back system? or is it a separate thing? also if you look at the site I posted, it looks like only the muffler is stainless stell, rest looks like junk. so i gotta keep looking for the right sp2 catback.

PhillyDRFT
05-09-2007, 07:35 PM
sounds pretty good. i think mine will be a little bit quiter. The resonator, does that come with the cat back system? or is it a separate thing? also if you look at the site I posted, it looks like only the muffler is stainless stell, rest looks like junk. so i gotta keep looking for the right sp2 catback.

The pipes are ceramic coated to stop them from corroding. I know Pacesetter has SHIT coatings that burn off after a few drives. The muffler is polished for a cleaner look. A resonator you'll have to add in line. I know most people don't like the idea of cutting up there new XXX$ exhaust to add in a 20$ resonator, But it's worth it if you want to tone down the sound. If your running without a cat you can try to fit a small resonator in place of the cat?

burnyd
05-09-2007, 07:53 PM
http://www.impactparts.com/greddyprice.htm
at this website they are offering Greddy SP2 catback for my 94 celica gt for $399 plus shipping around $45. what you guys think? it supposed to be good performance, nice tone(not so loud). any advice? also they are saying 60mm. is that a good size?

Just buy a muffler have an exhaust shop do it.

JasonX
05-10-2007, 05:57 AM
Just buy a muffler have an exhaust shop do it.
what do you think Philly? should I do that instead?
Burnyd, would i still have the shop do the cat-back? i'll just buy the resonator and the muffler? and go for around 2 1/4 - 2 1/2".

PhillyDRFT
05-10-2007, 10:08 AM
what do you think Philly? should I do that instead?
Burnyd, would i still have the shop do the cat-back? i'll just buy the resonator and the muffler? and go for around 2 1/4 - 2 1/2".

Buying the Greddy SP gets you a name. R&D time. Mostly for look and sound. I'm not sure how in depth Greddy gets with there NA tuning products. I was only speaking from the idea you were already dead sold on the SP2. 450$ shipped isn't too bad.

You could get yourself just as nice of a cat back for half the price if you get a muffler yourself and have an exhaust shop weld it up for you like Burnyd said. Just choose the right muffler. Kotah has a magnaflow resonator and duel tipped muffler. With I believe 2.25' cat back. It doesn't sound too bad it's a deeper tone. I personally don't like to hear anything out of my exhaust untill 3,000rpm. but thats just me.

It's your choice in the end, weigh up the pro's and cons. As long as your not already sold on the SP2 getting refitted with pipes is the cheaper alternative. A lot of people like magnaflow, you could always get a used SP2 or greddy muffler from ebay. HKS makes a very nice sounding universal muffler but the price tag is pretty hefty. Then just find yourself a nice ceramic coating to go over the whole thing.

JasonX
05-11-2007, 07:26 AM
ok, i need help on another one. Since I might be getting just the muffler, I was looking at Borla. The ones i'm interested are their "turbo mufflers" and the "boomer mufflers". I think I'm going to go with 2 1/4" so that filtered it a little but, they are also talking about "offset/center" or "center/center" options. also I'm not sure what case size to go with and how to figure it out on my own. If you guys have the time please check it out at "www.borla.com" under their universal mufflers. thanks

2003cbgts
05-11-2007, 08:22 AM
any idea on the hp gains on the greddy sp? i was looking at those myself for my 96 st

Slider
05-11-2007, 08:29 AM
any idea on the hp gains on the greddy sp? i was looking at those myself for my 96 st

I wouldn't expect much at all. 3hp tops would be my guess and that's being optimistic. If you have an intake, header and highflow cat along with it than you would get more out of it.

JasonX
05-12-2007, 12:53 AM
exactly...

2003cbgts
05-12-2007, 04:47 AM
any other ones out there for the 6th gen that would be best for power gains? oh and not sound like a damn ricer

geebes
05-12-2007, 04:52 AM
HKS sounds bomb!

JasonX
05-13-2007, 08:58 AM
bump

JasonX
05-13-2007, 08:59 AM
ok, i need help on another one. Since I might be getting just the muffler, I was looking at Borla. The ones i'm interested are their "turbo mufflers" and the "boomer mufflers". I think I'm going to go with 2 1/4" so that filtered it a little but, they are also talking about "offset/center" or "center/center" options. also I'm not sure what case size to go with and how to figure it out on my own. If you guys have the time please check it out at "www.borla.com" under their universal mufflers. thanks
bump

Slider
05-13-2007, 09:18 AM
Are you replacing just the muffler or are you going to have them make you a custom catback exhaust?

JasonX
05-13-2007, 11:15 AM
custom catback exhaust is what was in my mind

Slider
05-13-2007, 06:10 PM
I say go with center/center, as for the size I don't think it should matter since most aftermarket mufflers are smaller than your stock muffler so there should be no problem with fitment.

PhillyDRFT
05-13-2007, 06:21 PM
ok it's just an exhaust, some people say they can feel an extra hp or two at top end on the butt dyno. No one wants to spend 150$ to run on a dyno after buying a discount exhaust. To that effect you're not going to pull out any signifigant HP by adding a higher flowing exhaust.

Keeping in mind Ehxust systems ARE NOT power ADDERS. You gain HP by freeing up restrictions in air flow. IF you were FI you would see much better HP gains from a larger exhaust since you will be dealing with more air flow

If you want blot on power for a NA engine you're looking at Intake + header + Exhaust + SAFC = 15hp roughly. It's not a big bump at all since theres not much restriction to free up.

Just buy the exhaust for sound. Some companys like Apex and Greddy will accompany there products with a dyno sheet for sales reasons. Injen dyno proves all of there claims.

So pick what matters more to you, Cost, Quality, Economy or HP Gains. You'll be happier if you make it do what it does best.

JasonX
05-13-2007, 10:15 PM
thanks Philly.

PhillyDRFT
05-13-2007, 11:35 PM
NP I hope you get what you want out of your project and don't loose a limb over it. Gl and keep us updated with your decision.