PDA

View Full Version : Storing tires

dan93st
12-03-2004, 06:48 AM
So I recently removed the nice grippy Toyos and GT-S rims from my car, and put the stock size crappy bridgestones back on for the winter. The Toyos are technically all-seasons, but I've attempted to drive on them in the snow and it didnt work out so well. Are there any precautions I need to take when storing the tires? Some sources have said to reduce the inflation pressure, but with tubeless tires, would this be a good idea? I've also read that having too low of an inflation on a tubeless tire can break the bead seal around the rim causing leaks. Any advice? I'm sure I'm not the only person on here with different summer and winter tires. What does everbody else do?

roman
12-03-2004, 07:03 AM
Don't worry about the air pressure in the tires, it shouldn't matter if you're only storing them for a few months. Just put them in a plastic bag somewhere away from the sun. I keep mine in the far garage corner in black plastic bags.

Henry
12-03-2004, 12:00 PM
As long as they're stored indoors away from the weather, you shouldn't have any problems with the compound hardening.

TRDmkII
12-05-2004, 03:33 PM
I always put mine in a closet laying on their sides with about the same pressure i'd have in them when they were on the car.

Celexa GT
12-22-2004, 06:39 AM
My spare set is in the crawlspace under my house stacked on a pallet. I left the pressure at 35psi.

DBM
12-31-2004, 06:48 AM
the inflation pressure on street tires isn'[t much of a concern. However, make sure that they are sealed in black plastic garbage bags. Ozone is what hardens rubber (aside from heat cycling), and since any electrical arc produces ozone, it is best to store them away from electic motors, etc.
R compound race tires, on the other hand, should be stored uninflated on their sides at close to room temp sealed up.

Mike431635
12-31-2004, 09:41 PM
Yep, I've got my stock wheels and tires in the thick black lawn bags, and they haven't even lost pressure after sitting for a year. Got 'em laying on their sides in my garage.