PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Gen Celica - Good to race?

Afro
05-06-2007, 07:17 PM
I'm looking to get a 3rd gen Celica... still rear axle, light and 22r-e is pretty fast. But how are they balanced and what's the availability for an after market suspension for it? I was orig. going to go for the corolla for availability but I find I rather the Celica after a little research.
And (one last q?) is there a lsd available for these or did it come stock with any of the models.
Any info is greeeatly apreciated.

Hiko
05-06-2007, 07:34 PM
If I were you, I'd look for a 84-85 GT-S because they are IRS. Suspension upgrades are not as prevalent as for an ae86, but there are still a lot of choices.

The 22r is a heavy engine, so I imagine it's still a bit on the front heavy side. It can also be built up relatively cheaply.

As for an LSD, I have no idea. I'm sure Joe will have a few more answers for you.

Blackcloud
05-06-2007, 07:54 PM
what type of racing are you talking about?

when i had a 3rd gen i never saw much for suspension upgrades, but i think for the lsd you need to swap the rear end out of a supra.

and as for the motor.. yeah its heavy, but there is a few companies that make parts for that motor and can get some big hp numbers out of them

GT4SOM
05-06-2007, 08:21 PM
I think 3rd gen is definately a good platform!! Unlike the corolla the GTS celica did have a rear independant suspention. I think some parts for suspension may be interchangable with a ae86.Theres alot of celica/supra/rolla websites out there. Alot of their parts are interchangable I believe.

Disco Dan
05-06-2007, 08:43 PM
Check out the forums at www.celicasupra.com while you're at it.

Afro
05-06-2007, 10:56 PM
Thanks for all the info so fast guys. I was reading up at http://www.toyoland.com/cars/celica.html and it seems like they made the GT-S in a lift back all the way back to 1982 with the IRS. And I take it only the GT-S had the fender flares...
I'm going to be using it for tarmac rallies and some track and everyday fun. I'm leaning towards the liftback even though it's 40lbs more or so. I'll be doing brakes and suspension before any engine work. But one last question: does the 3S-GTE fit? (I know it might not fit the mounts but does it fit under the hood without any firewall work/hood work etc.) I'm sure everyone asks if they can fit that beaut under the hood of every car.

alltracman78
05-07-2007, 01:46 AM
Depending what type of racing you're going to do, you might want to keep that 22RE....
It can have an even more impressive torque curve than the 3SGTE, though not as much power.
It was also available turbocharged....

But I'm sure it will fit.
And you can either source a RWD trans from a JDM Altezza or I believe there are bell housings to adapt the 3S to older trans.

andy
05-07-2007, 05:36 AM
check out celica-gts.com and enjoy a forum of 3rdgenners. the corolla pwns it in handling though.

vip09
05-07-2007, 06:18 AM
If I had a 3rd gen it would be receiving an inline 6.

T-spoon
05-07-2007, 03:17 PM
Yeah, no point going for the 3sgte IMO. You can put scarier motors in there that are already set up for RWD trannies. Joe should chime in any second about what he'd do ;)

cms-gt4
05-07-2007, 03:43 PM
I had a 3rd gen. Loved it. Stock for stock, I think I could out handle my alltrac in it. At least back then. I only had a gt and was happy with it.

A 3sgte will fit, but I think there are lots of better engine options out there for that car. I have seen some nice v8 swaps in that car. Might find an engine that costs less than the 3sgte, weights the same and makes more power cheaper.

Toyota rallied these cars, and I have heard about some succes in the scca with these cars.

Someday, I might try and hunt down another 3rd gen. I want a white notchback, gts though.

Here is a v8 swap link.
http://www.toyoland.com/cars/celica-v8.html

Cavanagh
05-07-2007, 04:11 PM
I had a 3rd gen. Loved it. Stock for stock, I think I could out handle my alltrac in it. At least back then. I only had a gt and was happy with it.

A 3sgte will fit, but I think there are lots of better engine options out there for that car. I have seen some nice v8 swaps in that car. Might find an engine that costs less than the 3sgte, weights the same and makes more power cheaper.

Toyota rallied these cars, and I have heard about some succes in the scca with these cars.

Someday, I might try and hunt down another 3rd gen. I want a white notchback, gts though.

Here is a v8 swap link.
http://www.toyoland.com/cars/celica-v8.html

Thats pretty sick.

geebes
05-07-2007, 04:48 PM
x2

VikingJZ
05-07-2007, 04:55 PM
x3

That makes me wonder about a V8 in my 1972.

I'd love to get a 1UZFE and put it in there.

cms-gt4
05-07-2007, 05:09 PM
x3

That makes me wonder about a V8 in my 1972.

I'd love to get a 1UZFE and put it in there.

I can't find the link right now, but there is a turbo v8 1st gen that has a skyline gearbox and wad system. The car is austrialian.

If it was me, I might look into an older carb engine. I would hate to figure out wiring unless I was doing a standalone. It will be a complicated project as it is.

geebes
05-07-2007, 05:12 PM
I wish I would have bought one when I had the chance...they are sofa king cool.

Afro
05-07-2007, 07:37 PM
Wow, tons of info! I was talking with someone at my shop today and he suggested the all aluminum v8 as well. And there is a lot of stuff for it (internals etc). I also had another idea, i'd just have to find the right bellhousing/tran... I have a spare echo vvt-i engine at my disposal, and I can get full internals for it, a turbo and probably an HKS VPRO. That would def. keep weight down seeing as it's also all aluminum I4 and have a nice curve with that vvt-i.

Edit: checked out link. Very nice. But I would use the Lexus V8 as stated above. Or a 1JZ-GTE if I where to go I6. But I want to keep it light. Maybe I'll stick with the 22-RE, I'll see. Suspension and brakes first. No wait, I need the car first.

Now I'm excited and doing way to much research! I should be working!

85gtsblackman
05-11-2007, 12:22 PM
ok im here what kind of racing are u talking about and whats your budget and no im not going to sell u my car for less than 4 grand

andy
05-11-2007, 06:01 PM
ill sell you the one in my sig for 750

85gtsblackman
05-11-2007, 11:18 PM
thats just sad