PDA

View Full Version : A Celica film...READ ME!

Shadowlife25
05-05-2007, 08:34 AM
I was considering doing a film about the Celica. I believe it would probably center around the 5th Gen, since my idea for a more historical documentary is too difficult due to distance of other owners, condition of the vehicle, and ability to get time to come to the locations. Much easier to get some local 5th genners to come out and then coordinate it, but ALL ARE WELCOME.

I have access to a beautiful HD cam and I have a group of fellow film makers that I have run the idea by, and they like it. So moving on, if anyone is interested and live within an hour of Napa, CA. 94558, then please post a pic of your car in this thread, and let me know if you are interested. I basically am looking for an ST, a GT, a GTS, and an AT. If there is enough interest, we can schedule this out, and possibly go for a run up to Lake Berryessa. It's a great mountain road with some nice technical areas and a TON of twisties. Barbecue to be held after filming is complete. Keep in mind that this will not be a film about getting sideways or stupid, it will be about the history of the car, owner impressions, driver impressions, customer loyalty, and aftermarket support. If you are not mature enough to participate, please don't post.

This is not a sponsored film. It is something I have been thinking about doing for some time now, and I feel that the Celica community would enjoy it as well. This is all out of pocket for me, so there will be no financial compensation for those that participate, however, those that do will get a copy of the film on DVD for themselves.

Lastly, if there are any other generation Celicas in the area, I would love for you to participate as well, so come on everyone! :bigthumbu

If there is a large enough group in a certain area, I could possibly travel out to make this, but I will not go any further than Washington state.

Murgatroy
05-05-2007, 09:41 AM
Sounds like a great idea.

I wish that I had some artistic ability outside of words. Small secret about me, I am a published poet. Small time and all that jazz, but it is still something I do well.

Film is art. And there is a deep love for these automobiles in the given circle. I have driven a lot of automobiles. Many highly lusted after cars. And they are lusted after for reasons. Believe me. But all in all, I think I love my Celicas more than any other car I have owned. They aren't the most powerful, but they are extremely nimble. And that is what I like. This platform has won me over to the Import side and won my respect. I even bought a second one that I love as much as the first.

It is too bad you are on the opposite side of the country, and that neither of my cars are of historical documentation condition, cause this would be a lot of fun.

Good luck.

geebes
05-05-2007, 04:00 PM
I would be very much down. I have been thinking of making a film myself for quite a while. Only problem is I'm in E. WA. :(

evilcel
05-05-2007, 04:05 PM
great idea, cant wait to see it, if it works out.

Sean
05-06-2007, 12:38 AM
Sounds good

Sean
05-06-2007, 12:38 AM
Maybe if you give us a bit of an outline of what you plan to film and talk about, clear things up for me.

Shadowlife25
05-06-2007, 03:33 AM
Okay NP. It might need to be changed up quite a bit if I have to travel to a different location though, as most of the shot plans were made locally and chosen either for their beauty and/or technical nature.
I used to live out in Kent WA. I still have my old roomie out there, so if necessary I could come up for a bit to film at least a good chunk of material.
The basic idea was to do a semi-historical documentary on the Celi. More along the lines of the films that British fellow does for Jag, Ferrari, Alpha, etc...
If you could get some ppl together for this and get them to post up on here, then we can see if I can perhaps use you as a location scout? :)
Any questions about content can be addressed in PM for those who are seriously interested.

geebes
05-06-2007, 08:00 AM
Basically a Top Gear episode with celi's? That would be pretty cool.

Playfortoday
05-06-2007, 08:08 AM
This is similar to what Trance4c did or was going to do like 8 years ago. I forget if he ever published his. You might want to ask.

Shadowlife25
05-06-2007, 10:43 AM
Ok will do, thanks Play :)

Shadowlife25
05-06-2007, 10:45 AM
I had the notion of doing this and upon completion of the DVD's selling them with half the proceeds to go to C-Tech.

Also if any of you that went to the dragon have video ( and I KNOW you do )
I would love to include that in it.

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
05-06-2007, 02:12 PM
At what price do you plan on selling these DVDs? Do you have a rough estimate yet?

Shadowlife25
05-06-2007, 03:20 PM
All depends on what my out the door production costs end up being. Gotta get it made first though :) I wasn't planning on charging forum members more than $12. for a limited production run, then the price will probably go up since at $12 a DVD I'll actually be taking a loss after costs and donating to the site. Keep in mind that as I mentioned above, I'm fronting the cost for this out of pocket.

P.S. I will be posting a short rundown of the film plan later this evening.
ATTN WA. people !!!
If this is of interest to you please let me know ASAP so I can start planning to come out and do this.

Mario

Luni
05-06-2007, 08:01 PM
Lots of WA people. Joel, Sean, Joey, Cosmic Sombrero, theres more too.

And we have footage of the dragon sir, we just need to wait for InitialD93 to get it edited and on a computer. We got LOTS of good footage on video.

amx
05-06-2007, 08:21 PM
WA kid here, interested!

My ST is a complete mess at the moment though. So unless the bodywork and paint are done by the time you're ready to start filming, it probably won't be much help in the visual department.

If you need dvd/package design or artwork, I have a degree in art, and would be happy to volunteer my time and skills to the project.

geebes
05-06-2007, 09:01 PM
I'm down and in WA.

Sean
05-07-2007, 05:28 AM
Of course I would be down :)

malodin
05-07-2007, 05:50 AM
ive got my 4th gen and my 5th gen ready anytime you are....depending upon condition you want to see:)

Shadowlife25
05-07-2007, 08:52 AM
Lots of WA people. Joel, Sean, Joey, Cosmic Sombrero, theres more too.

And we have footage of the dragon sir, we just need to wait for InitialD93 to get it edited and on a computer. We got LOTS of good footage on video.

Luni, you are as always the man! Thank you so much for your help and the quick reply. If there is any way to get me that footage in as high-res a format as possible that would be phenomenal.

AMX : Your artistic talents would be more than welcome if you are willing to contribute :)

Sean : You F'in rock. Thank you :bigthumbu

Malodin : That's great! However, it doesn't say your location in your sig. Where are you ?

Geebes : Your participation is welcome and appreciated.

To ALL : If we could get pics of the vehicles you have in mind on this post so I have an idea of what I'm gonna see, that would be great. I could potentially do this in about a month's time cash permitting. If this sounds like a good possible timeline please let me know. Those of you who are in WA. if you could find some nice roads to film on that would be great, feel free to send pics of said roads to my E-mail.

If anyone has thoughts on this or anything to add, please post up!

Mario

geebes
05-07-2007, 04:50 PM
There are some extremely cool country type of roads on my side of the state, with little or no traffic, but I have a feeling you want to stay on the west side.

Shadowlife25
05-09-2007, 09:53 AM
1: Brief History - A short historical timeline of Celica production to date.

2: Evolution - A mainly still footage pictorial of the different generations of Celica citing differences between them, improvements made, explanation of engine codes, running footage of 4th and 5th gen Celicas, possibly including some Rallye footage IF rights can be obtained.
For timeline/evolution there will be a series of images with narrated history and clips prefaced with an image of the particular vehicle and text overlay with vehicle specs.

3: Interviews - Interviews will consist of:
a - time owned
b - initial attraction to vehicle (why?)
c - modifications performed
d - owner impressions (what they like, what could be better, etc...)
e - driving impressions (hopefully performed by myself if owner permits)

4: Examples - 360 views of exterior, interior shots and pan through, engine bay, exhaust sound,

5: Special Section - Interview with Rob (Luni :) ) :bowdown: Short history of C-Tech. Why does he keep it going? What if any future plans are there for C-Tech ?
How has the car, and the website/forum affected him in his personal life?

6: Footage from The Dragon :bigthumbu with some commentary on the experience as well as commentary on the Grp A Rallye cars that popularized the AllTrac/GT4/CS/RC models

If possible, I'd also like to get at least a typed interview with Bill Strong
from MR2OC in regards to his racing experience with the 3SGTE engine as a platform. This is a big maybe since I as of now still need to contact him.

So... There you go! A general outline of what is planned for this. If you have anything to add or whatever, feel free to let me know.

Also for those that want to participate, I still need the pictures of your cars!!!

Mario
Chemical Pictures (my film company. yes it's real) :wiggle:

Shadowlife25
05-09-2007, 10:55 AM
PM sent to Bill Strong of MR2OC. Hopefully we can have the pleasure of his impressions as well.

Luni - I'd like to talk about this project in a bit more detail with you if you have the time :) I'd be happy to call and fill you in on it. PM me to swap contact info.

Mario

Playfortoday
05-09-2007, 02:50 PM
Yeah, go go ahead and talk to Luni. If you want the truth, you talk to me. New World Order.

:hehe:

Shadowlife25
05-09-2007, 04:29 PM
You know I love you Play baby !? :D
Send me a PM with YOUR info and I'll give you the lowdown too!
I'm happy you're interested :)

Murgatroy
05-09-2007, 04:43 PM
Play and I both share a deep intimate love of the Celica Platform.

Not a lot of folks understand it.

But I know, after the Dragon Run, as I stood there and went off on a tirade about inane senseless bullshit about how much I loved the Celica platform regardless of it's shortcomings or the myriad of 'better' platforms, I could see a matching fervor in his eyes. And of course he said 'Amen' after I was done.

We are true fanatics.

Playfortoday
05-09-2007, 04:48 PM
Word up.

Shadowlife25
05-09-2007, 04:54 PM
Murg, Thank you so much for the Happy Birthday!

If you would like to do an interview to be added in text form (with your consent to use it of course ;) ) I would love your input. It would mean alot to me, especially since I can't rightly go out there to get it in person. If you use the format listed in my previous post above, you can just send it to me via E-mail. I am doing a similar thing with Bill Strong from MR2OC, and like I mentioned to him, anything that needs clarification can be taken care of on the phone if you include your contact #.

Same goes for you Play!

Shadowlife25
05-09-2007, 04:59 PM
Additionally, does anyone know how I would go about getting permission from Toyota of America for using the Toyota name and related imagery in this film endeavor? I really need to sort this out quickly since this would also allow me to use footage from the old group B and group A Rallye events, and not have to worry about any legal issues since this is going to be a "for profit" kinda thing.

Mario

Playfortoday
05-09-2007, 05:02 PM
For profit means you are not going to get "permission." You are going to have to work out a contract where you pay royalties.

Shadowlife25
05-09-2007, 05:06 PM
Yeah, but any ideas on where I might start as far as attaining said permission? :)

geebes
05-09-2007, 05:52 PM
This was on their website, it may or may not help...i'm thinking the latter of the two...but maybe?

"Contact Toyota

You have come to expect quality from our products and a rewarding ownership experience. Communicating with us is no different, which is why we provide a variety of ways to contact us and find the information you are looking for.

Customer Experience Center
If you would like to discuss your experience or share your comments, please call us. Toyota's Customer Experience Center representatives are happy to assist you.

Phone: 800-331-4331
Mon - Fri, 5:00 am - 6:00 pm PT
Sat, 7:00 am - 4:00 pm PT
Fax: 310-468-7814

Or send correspondence to:
Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
19001 South Western Ave.
Dept. WC11
Torrance, CA 90501
Toyota Financial Services (TFS)
Account information is available 24 hours a day by calling our Automated Customer Service line. Customer Service Representatives are also available during the specified hours. For 24-hour automated account assistance, call 800-874-8822
Customer Service Representatives are available
Mon - Fri, 5:00 am - 8 pm PT
Sat, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm, in your local time zone
Or visit us at toyotafinancial.com
Members of the Media
For information about Toyota or to register as a journalist and access contact information for our public affairs team, log on to Toyota's on-line newsroom. pressroom.toyota.com"

Shadowlife25
05-10-2007, 01:41 AM
Thanks Geebes, and this does help.

Luni
05-10-2007, 01:54 AM
Dustin is mailing the disks to me of the raw footage of the Dragon.

You are good with video editing?

If you are, Id like to make a copy of them and send them to you. Id like you to maybe edit some short of a Dragon film for us.

Id totally pay you for it.

Shadowlife25
05-10-2007, 03:22 AM
It's absolutely no problem Luni. Send away, I'd be happy to :) Let me know when I should expect them.

Playfortoday
05-10-2007, 03:57 AM
If you do edit it for us, consider that our permission and your "royalty payment" to us. In other words, use any of the footage you like for your own video too. We won't expect royalties from your finished video. Now, if you do end up making lots of money from your video, you can always feel free to donate a portion to the site though:hehe:

Plus, I too will pay you for a nice, clean, edited version of the dragon run dvd. Be sure to include lots of footage of one teal metallic 1992 Celica All-trac Turbo driven be me. Actually, I would even pay for a second version of the dragon video that is chopped down to just Rob and me driving my car. I am sure he would too. Maybe even snak eater will too since he probably would want to have a copy that he can pretend my teal all-trac is his. He would probably pay even mor emoney if you took the version with just my car and photochop in his head in all the frames so it looks like he is driving.:laugh:

Luni
05-10-2007, 06:45 AM
LOL Thats great!

Murgatroy
05-10-2007, 07:21 AM
Why the Teal All-Trac Play? We all know it was the Black GT-4RC that was the real star of the show. :P

I just want to see the videos. I wish I had watched them on the camcorder at this point.

Shadowlife25
05-10-2007, 09:36 AM
So I have the go ahead then? Thank you guys! Yeah, as soon an Luni gets me the footage I'll get started on it.

By the way, I had planned on donating a portion of proceeds to the site, as previously mentioned. This is my home :)

To let you all know as well, the "profit" (if any) on my end, is not going in my pocket. It is to be used to put toward funding our next film. Plus I'm not good-looking enough to be a man-whore :( so thats out... :D

Murg, I'll be doing the editing as expediently as possible so that I don't keep everyone waiting :bigthumbu

geebes
05-10-2007, 04:47 PM
^what about a man whore to fat chicks?...they don't care wat you look like and they need love too ;) Really excited to see what chu come up with mayn.

I love editing too, that was all I would do was make videos...before I got a gay job that takes up all my time when I'm not at gay school :( Do you have any videos already that we could see shadow?

Trance4c
05-10-2007, 07:12 PM
This is similar to what Trance4c did or was going to do like 8 years ago. I forget if he ever published his. You might want to ask.

Yep.. I did do it. First meet of people from PA, IN, OH, MI, etc., then here in FL lots of Celica swap, alltrac and MR2 footage. Lots of going to NOPI, Orlando meets, dyno's, etc. I had done my own write up and planning before I did the whole thing, spent about 4 years total on it. Now I have a 60 min VCD of that time in my life haha. I think it ended up being like 7 chapters total.

gt lifthback
05-10-2007, 08:46 PM
I live 6 hours away from napa...( i live in long beach) but i am willing to drive....just let me know when and where

91 celica st
05-10-2007, 09:07 PM
im in napa. lol hello

Sean
05-11-2007, 01:11 AM
Luni, you are as always the man! Thank you so much for your help and the quick reply. If there is any way to get me that footage in as high-res a format as possible that would be phenomenal.

AMX : Your artistic talents would be more than welcome if you are willing to contribute :)

Sean : You F'in rock. Thank you :bigthumbu

Malodin : That's great! However, it doesn't say your location in your sig. Where are you ?

Geebes : Your participation is welcome and appreciated.

To ALL : If we could get pics of the vehicles you have in mind on this post so I have an idea of what I'm gonna see, that would be great. I could potentially do this in about a month's time cash permitting. If this sounds like a good possible timeline please let me know. Those of you who are in WA. if you could find some nice roads to film on that would be great, feel free to send pics of said roads to my E-mail.

If anyone has thoughts on this or anything to add, please post up!

Mario

Sure, heres a few:
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/1/2/0429071549.jpg

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/1/2/0429071545.jpg

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/1/2/0225072323_343403.jpg

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/1/2/P2270080.JPG

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/1/2/P8050022_726899.JPG

This summer she will be getting her interior done, some new wheels, and maybe... maybe paint.

Luni
05-11-2007, 01:42 AM
Bill strong doesnt have a lot of expereince with the 3SGTE platform man. In fact, I dont even think he has a real 3SGTE. His swap is a 1st gen... :p

Shadowlife25
05-11-2007, 06:16 AM
Yeah, he gave me the contact info for the guy that does all the work on hyde so it should be cool ;)
So when are you sending me that footage to edit?

Sean thanks for being first to post your pictures! Now if we can just get the other guys to do this so I know they're interested too..

2003cbgts
05-11-2007, 08:23 AM
damn sean, i gotta say imho, thats the nicest 5th gen ive seen

geebes
05-11-2007, 09:10 AM
Here are some pics for mine...

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/2/7/3/7/DSC_0264.JPG

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/2/7/3/7/DSC_0263.JPG

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/2/7/3/7/DSC_0261.JPG

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/2/7/3/7/DSC_0258.JPG

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/2/7/3/7/DSC_0526.JPG

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/2/7/3/7/DSC_0172.JPG

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/2/7/3/7/DSC_0572.JPG

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/2/7/3/7/DSC_0534.JPG

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/2/7/3/7/DSC_0570.JPG

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/2/7/3/7/DSC_0517.JPG

Shadowlife25
05-11-2007, 09:25 AM
Very nice as well Geebes :) I like them both.

Shadowlife25
05-11-2007, 09:29 AM
I might potentially be able to get my photographer friend to roll with, so even for those who won't necessarily be in the film portion, we could maybe do a nice photoshoot to inlude some stills and have some additional club photos. Just an Idea, I want to make the most of the time I'll have available, so I don't care if I'm dead dog tired when it's time to go! hehe :D

Shadowlife25
05-15-2007, 08:30 AM
:bump:

KoreanJoey
05-15-2007, 08:40 AM
*shrug* my car is ugly, come when there's an AutoX.

Shadowlife25
05-15-2007, 09:49 AM
Hey Joey, remember that this is not only centered on the showcase vehicles, it's also about owner/driver impressions and the rest that was mentioned in the interview portion.
I'd love to get as much footage as possible, if it doesn't all happen to make it in to the actual production, so be it. At least it's a good reason to show off your car for a bit right? ;)

Ghosty
05-25-2007, 06:53 AM
No to bust your balls or nuthin, but if you want to do this... then do it right! ;)

Find all generations of Celica. Hell, go back, and find a 2000GT.

I believe the owner of Toysport in Lawndale, CA owns one. He could also help you find the other models.

You're lucky you live out in CA. No harsh winters with road salt to do in cars. It should be much easier for you to find cars out there than here in the midwest.

BTW, I'm an amateur filmaker myself. As a part of my mass communications/ journalism studies, I've played around with high dollar 3CCD DV cams, and nonlinear editors such as Avid.

You know... if you shipped copies of your DVs out to me, I can edit them nicely.

... Made a fake celica commercial as a class project once. I'm trying to convert it to a conventional codec so you can see my work. You'll see what I'm talking about.

Shadowlife25
05-25-2007, 08:08 AM
Well Ghosty, that was actually my original intent, but the logistics for doing that not to mention finding all gens is a bit too much for me right now. Keep in mind that this is totally out of pocket for me, so the funds to do all that traveling would be a bit much. If you'd like to talk about some editing stuff I'd be happy to see some of your work. get it out to me whenever is convenient for you. Just send me a PM when you're ready and I'll give you my address.

Ghosty
05-25-2007, 09:53 PM
Well Ghosty, that was actually my original intent, but the logistics for doing that not to mention finding all gens is a bit too much for me right now. Keep in mind that this is totally out of pocket for me, so the funds to do all that traveling would be a bit much. If you'd like to talk about some editing stuff I'd be happy to see some of your work. get it out to me whenever is convenient for you. Just send me a PM when you're ready and I'll give you my address.

I'm trying to find a way to get it on the web. Had a couple problems along the way, however- Had to track down the Avid codecs. It's a fancy program, worth approximately $3k an install. Beats me why they wouldn't put a more universal codec! Who the hell is going to have an Avid Xpress codec on their computer for Quicktime???

Fixed that, now I discover the computer screwed up the quicktime movie. Skipping frames and whatnot. Luckily, I have it on DV, as well as the stock footage, so I'm just going back to the labs and recapture and re-export to quicktime.

At any rate, have you thought about sponsorships to possibly fund your movie? It might be a longshot, but do you think there are organizations such as the Toyota Contingency program that might pony up a few bucks to have some advertisement? If not, it might be nice to get some investors on board, get some money in the project. It's a liability, but the results will be vastly better if followed through.

Lastly, how many car films have you watched? I'm talking about the classics. C'etait un Rendezvous, from 1976 by Claude Lelouch. Dude strapped a camera to the front bumper of a Ferrari 257 GTB and tore ass through the streets of Paris at 5:30a.m. Grand Prix, from 1966- had help from Saul Bass with much success.

It's worth picking up the Grand Prix DVD. It's available at Best Buy, and it will give you some nice ideas on how to display the cars in motion. Bonus features and whatever.

Oh, and the series you were referring to was "Victory by Design." Website is http://www.victorybydesign.com/. Website has cool sound clips. They recently did Ford, of all marques. I fast forwarded it until it got to the GT40.