PDA

View Full Version : carbonfiber hatch???

celica1990gts
05-04-2007, 06:27 PM
does anyone know of a company that makes a carbon fiber hatch for the 5th gen celica gts?

atrac7gts
05-04-2007, 06:28 PM
that sig would have been a little more powerful if you spelled "whine" correct :/

Cavanagh
05-04-2007, 07:15 PM
Do you go to school at mizzou?
To my knowledge, there isnt a cf hatch for us 5th geners.

Slider
05-04-2007, 08:03 PM
No one does. Isn't most of the weight from the glass anyways?

PhillyDRFT
05-04-2007, 08:49 PM
No one does. Isn't most of the weight from the glass anyways?

Yup, 80% if not more of the rear weight is from the glass, you could try to mold plexi or lexan to the shape but it will scratch on you and look crappy after a wile if it's your daily driver. Your FF so Taking weight from the back is going to throw off yout weight distrobution. I dunno maybe it's just me but I prefer as close to 50/50 as possible.

Also molding a CF hatch for the celica woulden't be ethical for two reasons.
1. Weight reduction isn't a big selling point for 5th gen celica owners. Theres not much of a market for us. Were pretty DIY people now so wouldent be profitable to them.

2. The curves and tollerences to make it fit properly without ratteling or latch mounting problems would take much more in design and production than they would make back on sales.

Melchior
05-04-2007, 11:21 PM
BTW, Weight may be awful and I would love to shed each pound... but...

Consider where the hatch places weight; Right over the rear wheels and high above the CG

That means that weight actually helps induce oversteer qualities. Not that it's not worth removing, but if you have to add weight, at least it's doing something. Just look at the Subaru crowd; the Wagons drift much easier than the sedans.

malodin
05-05-2007, 12:40 AM
not including the hatch is a structural part of the body flex, take it out or put something weaker in its place and your body will bend and flext horibly, thats why they used the trunk model chassis for convertibles, needed something back there to cross from fender to fender.

PhillyDRFT
05-05-2007, 03:06 AM
not including the hatch is a structural part of the body flex, take it out or put something weaker in its place and your body will bend and flext horibly, thats why they used the trunk model chassis for convertibles, needed something back there to cross from fender to fender.

how does one make a hatchback convertible without being a targa top?

Cecile-91'GTS
05-05-2007, 03:52 AM
how does one make a hatchback convertible without being a targa top?

Really why would you want too?I dont know of any one who has or even how do do it..... I personally feel safer in a hatch then in a convertable..... maybe not so top heavy but if there was ever a roll over, im sorry but there goes you head....

Murgatroy
05-05-2007, 09:48 AM
The Nissan Pulsar was pretty much a convertable hatchback. Kinda.

But yeah, the hatch is part of the structural integrity of the car. If you make that out of carbon fiber, and you don't have a roll cage of some sort, the body will pretty much fold up under any kind of severe driving.

It is nifty sure, but outside of a a 'ooh look at me' or hardcore race use, it makes no sense.

PhillyDRFT
05-05-2007, 07:37 PM
I'll elaborate more on this later because now I have to know for myself. I'm gonna leave this as a placeholder. I don't believe the actual hatch itself is as much of a structural piece since it's hinged. I could and probly am wrong but I'm going to go check over my coupe and hatch to see where they get rigidity from.