PDA

View Full Version : interior decorating yo!

Ricksta
05-04-2007, 04:30 AM
so not all my interior peices in the mr2 are black. i need the whole interior black to match the leather bucket seats. from what i hear just using the vinyle paint from autozone wont come out very good. so what if i were to primer the interior pieces first and then shoot a nice couple of thin coats on it till it comes out really nice? or does anyone have any other ideas?

donteatbugs
05-04-2007, 04:55 AM
try to find a rubber and plastics paint and use something like bulldog addhesion promoter on it. also either scuff it up or clean it real well with a wax and grease remover before painting. i found a light coat of bulldog works well to make the paint stick. i havent found a good paint for the constant abuse of a car interior yet though.

Shadowlife25
05-04-2007, 04:59 AM
buy the black interior pieces from another mr2. ;P

ciento44
05-04-2007, 05:07 AM
so not all my interior peices in the mr2 are black. i need the whole interior black to match the leather bucket seats. from what i hear just using the vinyle paint from autozone wont come out very good. so what if i were to primer the interior pieces first and then shoot a nice couple of thin coats on it till it comes out really nice? or does anyone have any other ideas?

The issue with the vinyl paint, as Grayscale explained to me, and it makes perfect sense, is that everytime that vinyl has been cleaned, detailed, whatever, it's probably been done with an Armor-All type cleaner. Namely, oil-based, so it leaves an oily, shiny residue. You have to get ALL of that crap off the vinyl before you paint it.

Rubbing alcohol will take it off. Go over it probably 3-4 times, make sure there is NO oilyness left on the pieces.

Afterwards, if you want to go over the vinyl pieces with say... Scotchbrite pad to rough them up a little bit, without ruining the pattern of the vinyl, do that.

THEN spray your paint. 3-4 very light coats. Voila.

TEAMFaint
05-04-2007, 05:19 AM
^Werd up.
Bang on.

Make sure you clean the hell out of the pieces first. Take a..hmm I'd say Grey Scotchbright pad (equivalent to about 600 grit sandpaper. Red is around 320 grit) Verrry lightly, dont go too hard. Spray some base coat, then even shoot some clear if you are wanting to. You can buy Instant Clear coat in a rattle can.

ORRRR

If you want to prep everything yourself, I'm sure if you took your panels to a local bodyshop, one of the painters would shoot it with actual paint/clear (single stage) black automotive interior paint (yes it exists..We have a can of it at work) May cost ya a bit more..but then you'll know that it'll come out professionally?

Borinal
05-04-2007, 05:23 AM
I did the rubbing alcohol and the fine grit sandpaper and my shit didn't last. But I think I sucked, cuz 1sloceli's seems great.

Shadowlife25
05-04-2007, 05:44 AM
I've had good results with goof-off. Did a friends 240 and it still looks great a year and a half later.

PhillyDRFT
05-04-2007, 08:35 AM
Warm Water and Duplicolor vynil black on my celicas dash board. Has lasted me about 4 summers sitting in uncovered parking lots. It hasn't dulled or faded whatsoever. The alcohol is a great cleaning idea before you paint also if you use a lot of protectent. Because it doesn't know the difference between paint and dirt so it'll do it's job.

For the hard plastic pieces. warm soapy water and krylon plastic coat black. both matched great and have held up fine. you could even get a matte clear to go over the black plastic pieces to protect them from scuffs and damage.

Ricksta
05-04-2007, 02:20 PM
I've had good results with goof-off. Did a friends 240 and it still looks great a year and a half later.
thats a really good product. what kind of paint did you use?

Ricksta
05-04-2007, 02:22 PM
im going to try a little of everything on what people suggested today or sometime soon. ive seen people paint thier interior before and holy hell does it look like ricer ass... i like a stock look to things and i want to keep it that way untill one day i get a widebody :)

im definately going to use some alcohol as well. does anyone know of any special prep for painting carpet peices?

grayscale
05-04-2007, 03:21 PM
The best thing to use for cleaning interior parts is acetone. The problem with interior as ciento mentioned is that interior cleaners/protectants(any of them) use silicone as an ingredient for the protectant. Silicone and paint do not mix. If you've ever painted something and watched those little round circle/spots appear, called fish eyes, that's from silicone. Acetone is the best thing to use that won't destroy the vinyl. As for the hard plastic pieces, that is where you need to rough the surfaces up a little bit. The paint actually takes to the vinyl well because it is porous enough, but the hard plastic is usually what you see in cars that ends up looking bad. The also have a specific base primer for vinyl paint that works better than standard primer.
There is also the vinyl dye which I never tried but is supposed to work well, VHT makes some, I've seen it available on summitracing's site.