PDA

View Full Version : 3sgte swap intercooler

ndcelica
02-04-2005, 03:34 AM
ok look the only thing that is stoppin me from startin this swap is tryin to figure out a intercooler..i am swappin a 2nd gen 3sgte into a st162.i want to get the rc wta intercooler but that is really hard to come by...i have found many 1st gen 3sgte wta intercoolers but i don;t know if that will be sufficient for the engine...another option would be to mold a hood scoop into my hood for a top mount intercooler...so far the 1st gen wta intercooler looks like the best bet, if i go with the 1st gen i will also need to find a intake manifold and throttle body...i was wondering what u guys think i should do?

carlosfandango
02-04-2005, 04:03 AM
i have a rev two 3sge engine for my gen four all trac, i'm going to use the gen four rev one wta and modify the pipework.

if you get a complete rev two 3sgte, then you'll have the manifold already.

the other option is a fmic or like you suggest fit a hood scoop, i think the cs vent would look better and should allow the clearance needed..?

but on the subject of charge cooling, stock rev wta with water injection is better than a fmic i understand.

CelicaGT4
02-04-2005, 06:06 AM
I think the easiest and most efficient solution to your problem would be to get a FMIC and just keep your hood stock. WTA intercoolers are real hard to come by if you want anything other than a 1st get wta.

Sean
02-04-2005, 06:17 AM
I would also reccomend going for a front mount. Seems to be the easiest, most effective solution for your problem.

Good luck man!

ChrisD
02-04-2005, 03:17 PM
I got your PM. ;)

I got my RC wta IC from a person on alltrac.net. If you keep your eyes out long enough, they do turn up on occasion. You can also swap to the ST205 intercooler, it is available more often on the mr2 board.

You would also need a pump of course, and lines.

but on the subject of charge cooling, stock rev wta with water injection is better than a fmic i understand.

I'd have to disagree on that one. The gen 1 WTA IC does not do nearly as good of a job as the RC or 205 IC's. I had endless problems with proper intercooling while I was on that IC. FMIC, if done properly, can be extremely efficient.

ndcelica
02-04-2005, 11:49 PM
does anyone make a front mount kit for a 88 celica or do i have to get pipes custom made??how hard will it be to fit the ic behind the bumper??

snyder
02-05-2005, 12:48 AM
I am 90% done with my 3SGTE in a 88GTS. I am planning on the FMIC. I have someone bending the pipes for me. The last thing is the measurements. I want th largest FMIC I can fit on a 88GTS.

ndcelica
02-05-2005, 01:20 AM
what intercooler did u go with? will the front mount intercooler get enough air behind the bumper

Dragon008
02-05-2005, 03:48 AM
Well, i like the cooling of the wta better. A fmic is good, and like chris said can be very efficient, but wta is a better option if you can find the resources. There is a shop that makes a very nice custom wta for about hte same as you would spend on a fmic set-up right were i live, plus, since i have the 1st gen 3sgte i have the pump and just upgraded lines. Probably not the world leading but i like for the money better than the full set-up fmic costs.