PDA

View Full Version : Surface rust on wheel wells

AznKlique
02-04-2005, 02:19 AM
Im starting to get some surface rust on my rear wheel wells. I want to take care of it before the rust eats all the way through the metal. Any advice on taking care of this?

85gtsblackman
02-04-2005, 02:48 AM
sand it off

then apply rubberized undercoating

carlosfandango
02-04-2005, 02:54 AM
sand it off as above, but enure its all gone, clean it with non oil based acetone type stuff and treat with a rust inhibitor. this will turn any tiny oxide particles back to good metal. then yeah, coat it with underbody sealant as above.

AznKlique
02-04-2005, 03:05 AM
underbody sealant?! I cant use touch up paint?

carlosfandango
02-04-2005, 03:10 AM
is this your wheel arch, or the inner well.

if its the arch, yes, paint the out side, but i would get that wheel off and check behind the lip, peel back the sealant and put a wire cup brush on a drill and get any rust off, treat the underside lip with inhibitor and selaup when dry.

G-man
02-04-2005, 03:12 AM
You can but you will have more chipping and then.....more rust.

I painted my hubs last year after sanding all the surface rust off. I didn't use an acetone or rust inhibitor and now I will have to do it again in the spring.

The only good thing is that it was a pretty fun project and I want to use a different color anyway.

carlosfandango
02-04-2005, 04:43 AM
but if it is the wheel arch that can be seen, he doesnt want black sealant showing.

dude, is it on the wheel arch or inside the well.

AznKlique
02-04-2005, 05:03 AM
its on the wheel arch. And yes I dont want black sealant all over that. :D

carlosfandango
02-04-2005, 05:37 AM
is it on the side of the rear quarter panel, or on the outer lip of the arch?

if its outer lip, its a diy job, if its rear quarter panel surface of the arch, you may want to take it to a spray shop and have them blend in the collour professionaly, depends how confident you are.

will need rubbing down to bare metal, bondo'd, primed, coated in collor and laquered, lots of wet and dry fine in bewteen coats. if you take you time and dont rush it, you could do a good job, but it would be eighty five percent perfect if you let a pro do a localised job, maybe higher if they get a real good collour match.

Slider
08-02-2005, 07:20 AM
Sand it down real good, if the rust was deep use bondo, then primer, wet sand 400grit, primer, wet sand 600, color coat wait 12 hours, wet sand 600, color coat wait 12 hours, wet sand 600, clear wait 12 hours, wet sand 600, clear wait a week, wet sand 1500 and polish. That's what you need to do if you're gonna use a spray can. If you take your time it will come out awesome, just make sure to blend the color coat with the other areas lightly because the color will be a little different, won't be noticeable if you blend it well though.

The time to wait for primer before sanding is usually 30 min. For color and clear I read 12-24 hours. I usually waited the 24 just to be safe. And the cans say not to polish until the clear coat has dried 1-2 weeks.

If you want it perfect, that's what I would do.

AznKlique
08-02-2005, 05:48 PM
Sweet! Thanks Slider for the info even though I asked about a half a year ago. haha. I think i'm gonna start tomorrow on this. I dont really care if blends well. Anything is better than that rust color. I'll let you know how it turns out too. :bigthumbu

Slider
08-02-2005, 08:34 PM
:lolhittin I didn't even notice it was this old, make sure to get rid off all the rust, and use that rust inhibitor thing. If you don't, it might come right back later. Good luck

AznKlique
08-03-2005, 01:29 AM
Is the rust inhibitor in a spray can? So I first use the rust inhibitor and then prime it, right? Yeah I just want to take care of it before it gets worse. I dont have mud gaurds because the GTS didnt come with them.

Slider
08-03-2005, 02:39 AM
Yea the ones I saw come in spray cans. Sand down all the rust to baremetal, then use the rust inhibitor to make sure it doesn't come back. If it's not in a really noticeable area you might not need to do all the sanding between coats.

StafeBak
08-22-2005, 08:22 AM
I'm going to do my fenders soon, all 4 are goin.

So out of curiosity, what rust inhibitor would you guys recommend.
And doesn't acetone to the same thing as laquer thinner?

StafeBak
08-24-2005, 06:19 AM
anyone?

AllOutRed90
08-31-2005, 04:35 AM
Acetone is like nail polish remover....my suggestion for surface rust...it just to...

#1 sand it down to bair metal, or atleast through the rust.
#2 Rub acetone on it
#3 Spray on rust inhibitor
#4 light sand the inhibitor if it becomes rough, some do. some dont.
#4 Use filler primer, it fills in small grooves and provides nice protection against rust alo
#5 Paint it...

G'luck man, i cant give any info on what kind of inhibitor to use, because i havnt fixed any rust in a long time, and i just dont remember....

If we are talking about Holes of rust...Heres more info

#1 Cut all the rust out, use a dremel or drill or sumn to cut.
#2 Get some wire mesh, or chicken wire....sumn along those lines...
#3 Spread it across the hole on the inside. Make sure its secured and flat too.
#4 Then get some Resin and chop or weave mat... apply like 3-5 layers...
#5 Sand it smooth
#6 Apply Thin smooth amounts of body filler, sand between layers
#7 - Start from step 3 on first surface rust guide.... :D

G'Luck.... :bigthumbu

extremeskillz
09-05-2006, 08:54 PM
Sweet! Thanks Slider for the info even though I asked about a half a year ago. haha. I think i'm gonna start tomorrow on this. I dont really care if blends well. Anything is better than that rust color. I'll let you know how it turns out too. :bigthumbu

I have the same issue except I used to have surface rust and the same locations in the rear wheels well. I fixed them twice, now they completely went through. Now i got chopping to do but this time im gonna do it right using the above method or instead of fiberglass ill use real metal depending on my budget.

Also i discover inside the wheel arches, behind the undercoat, there was soft metal. i scraped it and i find rusty patch that extends to the lower rocker. SO i suggest you also look there for corrosion too man.

I got a lot of work to do for the winter. Ill do all the work then probably send the car off to get the wells repainted so it'll all match up nicely. My car is as mint as yours and i want to keep it that way