PDA

View Full Version : possibly getting an 89 vert

85gtsblackman
04-30-2007, 10:48 PM
ok so my friend thats currently driving my maxima.....which is on its last leg....found a 89 celica vert, auto 3sfe 112k, for $999 out the door

guy told me it needs a master window switch and its got some small holes in the top

how hard would it be to find and install a master window switch, and what could i use to patch the roof, i know theres some stuff out there but i dont remember what it was....i know id be best to replace the roof but she doesnt have alot of money (hence why shes been paying me for my maxima monthly) and she really only drives to and from work (20 miles total a day) so ill just patch it for now

and the maxima will be gone in the next 3 days, its being sold for a grand

2kSnakEater
04-30-2007, 10:51 PM
damm, $1000 for an 89 Auto vert? how beat to shit is it? before I bought the one I have, I looked at one for $2000 and it was nasty. Top would go down but not up, oil stains on the hood, no trunk lock mechanism.

85gtsblackman
04-30-2007, 10:55 PM
its not bad

just needs a lil tlc and cleaning, patching the holes and finding that switch

oh and the a/c works

plus where u live the further u go down south the more expensive everything is

T-spoon
04-30-2007, 10:59 PM
An oem could be had through dealer without too much trouble for about $95. Otherwise, have fun finding one in a junkyard.

85gtsblackman
04-30-2007, 11:03 PM
a window switch right?

T-spoon
04-30-2007, 11:08 PM
Yeah. It's kind of a funky center console deal instead of in the door, yeah? That's not too pricey really, I'm sure you know what a master switch for like, a 6gen would cost.

85gtsblackman
04-30-2007, 11:10 PM
yeah i think

WAITS FOR GINA TO POST!!!!!! :ohyeah:

Ajilon
05-01-2007, 02:38 AM
yeah i think

WAITS FOR GINA TO POST!!!!!! :ohyeah:

my windows switches are in the door for the front windows and the rear window switches are in the center console. I've never had to replace them though. I had to replace the master window control for the alarm. That's it.

As far as the top, you need a waterproof adhesive based fabric to patch it. You can get a new top off ebay for about $350 but I understand they're not exactly what one would define as easy to replace since you have to take the frame off the old top and reassemble in onto the new top. Oh yeah... and they're quite heavy. Obviously, since my top is still patched, I've never had to replace that either. If the GTS and the Supra weren't eating up all my money, I might be able to afford to do it. Right now, since it doesn't leak, it's not priority. I'd rather put the money into cooler things :D

Murgatroy
05-01-2007, 11:40 AM
Duct tape can patch the holes. Sure it is Ghetto, but it is effective.

1990CelicaGT-S
05-01-2007, 12:42 PM
Dont quote me on this but you could probably find a convertible patch kit at your local parts store...

T-spoon
05-01-2007, 03:03 PM
Heh, my bad, looked at it wrong (well, not wrong exactly, but Toyota thought it would be cool to have it split into two different pages for the window switches), that's what the switch in the center console would run, the actual master switch would be more like $180.00.

85gtsblackman
05-01-2007, 07:12 PM
well the lady that was supposed to buy the maxima this morning hasnt showed up yet, ima call her brother in the next hour or so to see whats up, if worse comes to worse ima go sell it back to the lot for $900

Futant3
05-01-2007, 09:10 PM
Heh, my bad, looked at it wrong (well, not wrong exactly, but Toyota thought it would be cool to have it split into two different pages for the window switches), that's what the switch in the center console would run, the actual master switch would be more like $180.00.

uhh yea I was going to say I just had to replace this and the dealer ship quoted something like $220+ plus a 4-5 week wait for delivery. I ended up getting one at a junkyard for $20 from an 87 GTS and it worked like a charm.

Only thing is be careful about breaking the trim piece that it screws into, it appears that only the convertibles had a wider trim piece than the others. I broke mine and super glue seems to have fixed it.

Everyone has the top covered for you but in case you're interested I replaced mine for a little over $1000. This included a new back window ($140ish) and Electron cloth top ($400ish) and the rest is taxes,labor, cables, etc. My advice is unless you're experienced have someone else do it, proper tensioning can be tricky and cause warranty issues. Self install by previous owner killed the old top.

Fuelish
05-02-2007, 12:58 AM
.....but in case you're interested I replaced mine for a little over $1000. This included a new back window ($140ish) and Electron cloth top ($400ish) and the rest is taxes,labor, cables, etc. Holy ChroMoly !!!!!!! Hmmmm ..... I have some threads dry-rotting on mine (where the top meets the side cover on the "rib" more or less over the rear windows) ..... no leaks, as of yet, but have to shrug it back up after having had the top down...heh. Me thinkst my top will have to last til next year, as I need struts all around, sway bar bushings, and god knows what else, at this point (rear susp needs some work, by the sounds of it). BUT, in all fairness, east Tennessee is a wonderful place to live when in ownership of a vert :cool:

Futant3
05-02-2007, 03:11 AM
yea that's what I thought too but what do you get for that...compliments from new bmw owners on your top. I've done the suspension work too and it wasn't cheap either, still have a full set of poly bushings waiting to go on.

I'd look into RaggTopp cleaner and protectant ASAP to prevent further damage and buy you some time on the replacement. I'm about to do the work on mine as it doesn't bead water like it used to.

malodin
05-04-2007, 12:42 AM
ebay has good prices on tops for our convertibles, i just recieved my vinyl top for my 5th gen, its good quality and i plan on putting it in my self, its not that hard to do it as long as you read the directions and go step by step, if all goes well i will be buying a top for my 4th gen vert as well here this summer.(thats an easier top to work with than the 5th gen) i payed 259 for top and back window shippped to my door. im going canvas with my 4g it will be 350 for that shipped.