PDA

View Full Version : Downpipe w/ divided wastegate pipe?

Melchior
04-30-2007, 01:38 AM
Has anyone ever seen a down pipe for the 3sgte that doesn't merge the waste gate discharge right after the turbo? From experience with past cars a divided waste gate discharge pipe that merges with the downpipe just before the mid-pipe can help reduce backpressure a noticeable amount.

It looks like every downpipe I see for our cars is the same copy of a copy of a copy of the aussie downpipe.

Gary
04-30-2007, 03:57 AM
It's called divorced downpipe.
Almost all of them are custom or come with turbo kit.

andy
04-30-2007, 05:24 AM
i plan on building one out of a ebay pipe, whenever i find another one for sale.

Shadowlife25
04-30-2007, 08:13 AM
From what I've been reading on the MR2 boards, the Berk Technologies new DP is a better design than a divorced setup. Check it out over there. http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=241555&page=1&pp=50

Post back with your thoughts.

Melchior
04-30-2007, 04:51 PM
I took a look at that one a few days ago; there is also one that was made by I think it was JP autoworks as a one-off for one of the members there.. i'll find the thread in a moment.

Here it is; this one is vented into atmosphere, i'd never do that, both because I think it's extremely irresponsible to vent un-processed exhaust air into atmosphere, and because i actually think it makes a car sound like crap...

http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=196143&highlight=divorced+wastegate+downpipe

As for the other Down pipe, it looks much better than the normal design, but I'm still skeptical of the claim that a divorced waste gate (thank you Gary) would be worse. Yes, maybe absolute volume of flow would be better than the typical design, but the two streams of air are still smacking into each other very abruptly; I find it hard to image it's not going to cause turbulence issues, diminished though they may be.

It's very unfortunate no one seems to make one, and the manufacturers that will modify their existing models ask quite a premium to do so.

I was hoping to find a nice pre-made one, but getting one made was my original plan. I just hoped :)

Melchior
04-30-2007, 04:54 PM
It's called divorced downpipe.
Almost all of them are custom or come with turbo kit.

Well look at you Mr. Fancy with your specific names for things.... ooOOooo...

:D

Thanks, it was on the tip of my tongue

MrWOT
05-01-2007, 08:06 PM
It may flow better then THEIR divorced design, but it is not superior to a proper divorced setup. A divorced setup has the highest flow potential. Period. The only time I would consider it neccissary was on an upgraded turbo though. Stock CT26 or CT27 would be fine with the one they have.

Melchior
05-01-2007, 08:12 PM
It may flow better then THEIR divorced design, but it is not superior to a proper divorced setup. A divorced setup has the highest flow potential. Period. The only time I would consider it neccissary was on an upgraded turbo though. Stock CT26 or CT27 would be fine with the one they have.

Agreed on all points

andy
05-02-2007, 01:36 AM
i just like the sound alot