PDA

View Full Version : Out place part on axle...

Punisher
02-04-2005, 12:24 AM
I was working on my celica today and noticed that the driverside front tire had a lot of play in it.. side to side and up and down.. I thought bearings were shot.. so I pulled the wheel and got to work.. found out that the fricken CV shaft nut was just really loose.. torqued it down and no more play.. however I noticed this odd.. gear like part that when I changed on the passanger side I didn't see.. something wrong here?? That plus it looks bent...
http://www.b16crx.com/~tekphobia/P1180146.JPG
http://www.b16crx.com/~tekphobia/P1180147.JPG
http://www.b16crx.com/~tekphobia/P1180148.JPG

SilverCel
02-04-2005, 02:54 AM
I believe it has to go in farther.

SilverCel
02-04-2005, 02:56 AM
yea. after referring to some pics i have from doing my wheel bearing, i think it has to be pushed in farther.

Punisher
02-04-2005, 05:28 AM
yea.. that's what I figured.. I don't suppose it's supposed to be wavy though.. huh lol.

Sean
02-04-2005, 06:29 AM
Negative, your car is equipped with ABS.

Excessive play in your tire means you have a bad wheel bearing, and possibly ball joint issues now. You are probably hearing, or going to hear bad groaning, scraping noises relatively shortly. Because that 32mm backed off, it put extra stress on your wheel bearings, and you should get them checked out.

Punisher
02-04-2005, 05:21 PM
Sean.. I don't have ABS...

Sean
02-04-2005, 07:12 PM
Thats why im wondering why you have an ABS axel in there......

Im pretty positve that outer axel was intended for a celica with ABS. There is supposed to be a speed sensor out ther somewhere, and i believe it uses that gear type deal for something.

My car does not have ABS either, hence, i dont know much about it.

ST162MECH
02-04-2005, 07:39 PM
It is just an ABS ring if your celica does not have ABS just knock it off with a hammer and punch. It is only light cast. I would think that the joint has been replaced and a non ABS joint was not avalible so they used a ABS joint that is the only diffrence about the two. The ABS ring works the same as a crank angel or cam sensor with magnetic field interuption. It sends voltage pulses to the ECU and that will detirmine if you are braking hard or not . Any way dont worry about it if you dont have ABS. Say if you did a damaged ABS ring could cause the ABS pump to get confused and you could loose your brakes all together. I have seen it more than once on celica's and levin's

Sean
02-04-2005, 07:59 PM
It is just an ABS ring if your celica does not have ABS just knock it off with a hammer and punch. It is only light cast. I would think that the joint has been replaced and a non ABS joint was not avalible so they used a ABS joint that is the only diffrence about the two. The ABS ring works the same as a crank angel or cam sensor with magnetic field interuption. It sends voltage pulses to the ECU and that will detirmine if you are braking hard or not . Any way dont worry about it if you dont have ABS. Say if you did a damaged ABS ring could cause the ABS pump to get confused and you could loose your brakes all together. I have seen it more than once on celica's and levin's

Thats how i assumed that gear worked, wasnt positive. Thank you for the clarification though man.

I bet you also agree that this guys wheel bearings are most likely shot.

ST162MECH
02-04-2005, 10:13 PM
Thats how i assumed that gear worked, wasnt positive. Thank you for the clarification though man.

I bet you also agree that this guys wheel bearings are most likely shot.

Most likley i have alot of loose hubnuts come into my workshop (mainly people but some times the cars :lolhittin ) not many of them escape a new bearing

Punisher
02-04-2005, 10:54 PM
Mine did.. The axle nut was loose.. yes, but it wasn't horrible.. and nothing was damaged.. luckily. I don't hear any grinding.. never did.. bearings are fine.