PDA

View Full Version : Weight Reduction

Joeye27
04-27-2007, 07:54 AM
Hey everyone..does any one have weight reduction done to thier 5th gen??? interior for instance, seats, carpets,door panels, dashboard or under hood such as no powersterring or ac..
if you do how does it feel and if you have pics that would be great! i havent seen any pics of this and would like to see how it would look thanks!

vip09
04-27-2007, 09:08 AM
I got rid of the cruise control, all the a/c components, abs.. and much more. No pics, sorry.

1990CelicaGT-S
04-27-2007, 09:28 AM
I just got rid of my A/C. How did you go about removing your cruise Vip?

Murgatroy
04-27-2007, 10:18 AM
I removed the AC on Chaos. Mudhoney hasn't been stripped yet, but she is gonna lose her interior from the seats back, CC and AC.

Shadowlife25
04-27-2007, 11:33 AM
I have yet to do any weight redux 'cause the wife would kill me...

1990CelicaGT-S
04-27-2007, 11:51 AM
That sucks.

ciento44
04-27-2007, 02:19 PM
I've got a little..... ;)

http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/9610/strip1cz1.th.jpg (http://img172.imageshack.us/my.php?image=strip1cz1.jpg)

http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/7202/strip2pm1.th.jpg (http://img172.imageshack.us/my.php?image=strip2pm1.jpg)

This was a quick 2 hour job. The next day, the rear seat belts were off, the c-pillar was off, and so were the door panels.

Made a fairly noticable difference in my car, more responsive, way more mid and low range power, and more likely for the back wheels to let go, because of the messed up weight distribution.

Ads28
04-27-2007, 03:01 PM
ddammnn thats a whole lot of nothing u got there Ciento, all i have is all my interior panels in my hatch, and spare tire removed..and had no A/C to begin with :)...still need it for daily driving soo seats gatta stay in

Idiot Stick
04-27-2007, 03:09 PM
Hey everyone..does any one have weight reduction done to thier 5th gen??? interior for instance, seats, carpets,door panels, dashboard or under hood such as no powersterring or ac..
if you do how does it feel and if you have pics that would be great! i havent seen any pics of this and would like to see how it would look thanks!

Dont mean to be an asshole or anything, but if that's your Celica in your display picture, a good type of weight reduction would be to lose the huge bodykit and put CF bodypanels on, if you were that dead set on weight reduction

vip09
04-27-2007, 03:35 PM
This is what my All-Trac looks like right now.. :)

http://photos-151.ak.facebook.com/ip002/v71/53/104/51204144/n51204144_30788151_3115.jpg

Melchior
04-27-2007, 04:28 PM
This is what my All-Trac looks like right now.. :)

http://photos-151.ak.facebook.com/ip002/v71/53/104/51204144/n51204144_30788151_3115.jpg

Damn, that pig needs to go on a diet!

DarkSideCelica
04-27-2007, 05:30 PM
go on a diet :lolhittin

Trance4c
04-27-2007, 06:08 PM
Link to thread on the board about it. (http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4068&highlight=weight+reduction)

JEDI
04-27-2007, 08:07 PM
Dont mean to be an asshole or anything, but if that's your Celica in your display picture, a good type of weight reduction would be to lose the huge bodykit and put CF bodypanels on, if you were that dead set on weight reduction

Your right, In the pics that thing seems to have 2000 lbs. of extra crap on it. lol

hobbie2k
04-27-2007, 08:28 PM

That's what I was thinking...I read an article where they took an '01 Sentra 2.0 and just removing the the bodykit and putting stock wheels on improved it's 1/4 mile almost a second. After that, you could pull the A/C, Cruise, stereo (and any big subs or amps you may have), maybe the power top motor, after that you're getting into more complex weight reduction, and the possibility of severly reduced useability.

6strngs
04-27-2007, 08:31 PM
if the body kits are fiberglass then they probably weigh less than stock ;)

hobbie2k
04-27-2007, 08:33 PM
if the body kits are fiberglass then they probably weigh less than stock ;)

...except when the kits are just stuck on top of the stock panels...

Joeye27
04-27-2007, 09:19 PM
Thanks guys for the pics ! any one have some pics under the hood???
yeah i checked out the link already thanks though...

and yes the fiberglass kit was lighter then the stock bumpers and thier renforcements....nothing was "stuck on" they were replaced..
fenders as well

with all that i gained so much horsepower!!!! :laugh:
joking!

Joeye27
04-27-2007, 09:31 PM
CIENTO44----"""Made a fairly noticable difference in my car, more responsive, way more mid and low range power, and more likely for the back wheels to let go, because of the messed up weight distribution"""

really man used noticed all that and that was with just the interior and seats.. :bigthumbu

PhillyDRFT
04-27-2007, 09:42 PM
If you load the kit up with bondo to mold it you will add just as much weight as you took off. If it's molded the right way with very thin layers of fiberglass (in addition to FG hood, bumper, fenders, door skins. You can gain an areodynamic advantage like stock cars do with there fully molded fiberglass front ends. The driveway mechanic can't do this to the point of a noticable difference whereas aero will not make you go faster by itself but it's one part of a complete build when paired with good power output and a well set suspension.

I don't believe the rear seats weigh 70lbs but I could be wrong, just seems like a lot to me? The rule is what 1/10th of a second for every 100lbs in the 1/4 mile? I don't remember the rule for skid pad tests ither but that relys a lot on your weight distro.

The fiberglass front and rear weigh about as much as the plastic facias on the front and rear, it's the removal of the crash bars that save you the weight. (i'll say there about 50-60lbs each) The sideskirts are added weight since there not replacing a stock pair. There are easyer ways to drop weight without mesing up the comforts of your car. I mean your not running 10's. To each there own but for the 20lbs you would save taking out the AC compressor, you can ditch the cast iron exhaust manifold (about 30lbs) and replace it with a close to 5lb 3sge or camry stock manifold.

Theres a 1lb weight under the front bumper of your car, it's there for weight transfer. you can ditch that if you want but it's there for a reason. The door pannels weigh at max (non system 10) 2lbs each. theres lots of places you can cut down weight and let everyone know your car is gutted or you can do it in more productive ways wile keeping the comforts of your car.

Theres nothing wrong with building an all out track car that you use every bit of. Theres also a fine line between engineering and stupidity. IE: cuting the AC and PS belts on your daily driver, Picking up your lady friend in a car with no radio or door pannels.

PhillyDRFT
04-27-2007, 09:44 PM
really man used noticed all that and that was with just the interior and seats.. :bigthumbu

Drive around the block with 4 people in your car (helps to have fat friends for this) then let them out and drive around once more. You'll notice the difference from weight reduction

Joeye27
04-27-2007, 10:53 PM
Thanks for your suggestions and inputs guys.

ciento44
04-28-2007, 12:00 AM
CIENTO44----"""Made a fairly noticable difference in my car, more responsive, way more mid and low range power, and more likely for the back wheels to let go, because of the messed up weight distribution"""

Yeah... i estimate i got around 300lbs out of the thing. All interior out, stereo, etc.

Didn't make as much difference on the strip as i hoped, but it dropped about 0.3 seconds consistently off from the last time i ran all seasons at the track.

It's more noticable around town, and highway pulls and stuff.

1990CelicaGT-S
04-28-2007, 03:43 AM
Is that your DD Ciento?

ciento44
04-28-2007, 02:59 PM
Yeah, kinda. At least right now it is. Not a big deal for me to be stripped like that normally/lately. I haven't really been driving it anywhere besides back and forth from the track.

Put it all back in yesterday though for the Dragon Meet. Took about 2 hours. Not bad.