PDA

View Full Version : Toyota and Subaru swapping engineers! Can we say 8th gen Gt4?

Melchior
04-26-2007, 11:56 PM
http://wardsauto.com/ar/toyota_subaru_engineers/

I for one will be the first to welcome our new welicarx gt-4's.

PhillyDRFT
04-27-2007, 12:15 AM
so slow subis and turbo corollas? YAY!

Edit: J/K i'm all for the spread of fresh minds in departments of development. although most major manufacturers have been trading old designs constantly so I'm down to see the Scion STI's and the Hybrid legacy.

but we'll most likely just get the same shit were used to with a different name.

Melchior
04-27-2007, 12:19 AM
AWD rally-inspired Prius. Comes with 6 "D" batteries to up power output.

PhillyDRFT
04-27-2007, 12:23 AM
AWD rally-inspired Prius. Comes with 6 "D" batteries to up power output.

:slap: don't get me excited about toyota getting back into WRC

Melchior
04-27-2007, 12:24 AM
:slap: don't get me excited about toyota getting back into WRC

It'll be the cleanest burning rally car ever!

Seriously thou, I smell something fishy. For the scale of what they are doing and the people involved, I think there is more to it than either company is talking about. I would be willing to put money on this being for Toyota to get into the performance market as much as it is for Subaru to get into the hybrid market.

I mean, look at what Toyota already does well; the only thing they don't have these days is a high value performance car, and the smartest way to break into that with nearly zero possible repercussions is via a partnership like this! Use another companies assembly lines to start making a 4wd performance car, with another teams advice and experience! If it goes south, they just stop making them; no wasted factory, no division without a purpose anymore, just a "It's-not-you, it's me" call to Subaru and they're done.

It's already been confirmed there will be a new Supra, and Lexus keeps toying with the idea of building a supercar; these are all signs of an aggresive expansion back into the performance market.

I mean, they are the worlds biggest car-maker now; why not get their feet wet?

PhillyDRFT
04-27-2007, 12:37 AM
I fully agree and thats what I see happening soon.
I would be willing to bet both nuts lexus is just going to make a hyped up IS coupe. Remember those awesome concept designs we saw? Subaru would love to get 30mpg in there already amazingly selling impreza. When I worked at a subaru dealership we couldn't keep base models in stock. I can just imagine what would happen if they became hybrid.

Toyota has been kicking around the supra/2000gt ideas for a wile now. I think they will just let the legacy die on it. They will come out with something to compete with the nissan GT-R (which they have openly stated will not be part of the skyline family) I would love to see the 2000gt come back more than the Supra. It is fine the way it is I don't wanna see it remade and done wrong. but who knows they've got deep pockets. they can do what they want.

MrWOT
04-27-2007, 01:20 AM
I think toyota is after the awd designs personally. I see a whole range of vehicles being offered with awd :)

Cavanagh
04-27-2007, 01:32 AM
I would love to see the 2000gt come back more than the Supra. It is fine the way it is I don't wanna see it remade and done wrong.
Me too, but i think if they had to choose they would take the supra. That name is 1000x more known than the 2000gt. For instance, everyone in my school/classes thought the only fast car toyota has made was the supra. Me:slap: Them

geebes
04-27-2007, 02:03 AM
The celica Sti version would be intense.

Melchior
04-27-2007, 02:16 AM
The celica Sti version would be intense.

aaaHEEEEMM...

You mean a wrx gt-4! We came first damnit!

geebes
04-27-2007, 02:28 AM
I like the sound of Celica Gt-four Sti version. or maybe impreza wrx trd?

Melchior
04-27-2007, 04:26 PM
I like the sound of Celica Gt-four Sti version. or maybe impreza wrx trd?

Celica WRX gt-4 STI TRD gt-s alltrac

(Hey, Nissan does it with the sentra se-r spec v nismo spec r track edition...)

speedyrolla
04-27-2007, 09:11 PM
I would love to see new performance Cars by toyota,bring more RWD and AWD performance cars to us.

toyotatuner
04-29-2007, 03:16 AM
i just can't believe i'm goin to have to take out a loan to buy one of these cars when they do come out. DAMNIT!

PhillyDRFT
04-29-2007, 05:05 AM
I would love to see new performance Cars by toyota,bring more RWD and AWD performance cars to us.

We would all love to see them and have them in production, so we can buy them dirt cheap in 10 years. But the bottom line is theres no market for it. Theres 100x the number of 25+ blue collar workers who could give a shit less about modification. They just want a safe gas sipper that can haul there shit to work and home. as opposed to the few thousand highschool kids who don't have the credit line to even test drive a scion.

Were just going to get excited to see some hybrid uber MPG subaru wagons, another ugly STI and the possibility of the alltrac's coming back. Don't get too excited it won't be the celica, it'll be the Corolla AWD, and An ungodly overpriced toyota "Supercar" that we'll never own.