PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Canister Questions

1990CelicaGT-S
04-26-2007, 07:17 AM
Hey guys,

I tried searching this but I didn't come up with any leads. I remember reading a while back that someone deleted the carbon canister from thier car. I'm not even sure if this is possible but it's out of my car and not in good shape so I'd like to get rid of it if I can.

Any help or someone who could point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

-Matt

grayscale
04-26-2007, 09:04 AM
Your search came up short because it is most commonly called a charcoal canister. It's no big deal to get rid of. Cap the hard lines to it, I think there are 2, it has short rubber hoses that run to the hard lines. Take the vacuum hose off that runs to the throttle body and cap the port on the tb. Then remove the vacuum line that goes to the vsv, the little green thing on the cooling tower that sticks out of the side of the head, no need to cap the vsv, then remove the other vac line on the vsv and cap it, IIRC it runs back to the tb also. If you want to, you could go ahead and get rid of the egr system while you're at it. I meant to do a write up a while back for this after a few people asked but I haven't had the spare time yet.

1990CelicaGT-S
04-26-2007, 11:56 AM
Unfortunatly I don't have a motor in the car right now so I can't work on capping those lines but I'll get to them later on. There was a hardline that ran down to the crossmember...one out through the side of the inner fender...one to the gas tank. Throwing this out isn't going to give me any problems is it?

I'm going to have a hell of a time with vacum lines later on.

grayscale
04-26-2007, 02:16 PM
Nope, no problems. You can eliminate just about all of the vac lines if you want so that shouldn't be a problem either. Having the motor out right now is no big deal, Just cap the two hard lines you mentioned and the three on top of the tb and that's it.

sloceli
04-26-2007, 02:23 PM
I just did this yesterday. Cap the line that says (to tank) and drill a hole in the gas cap to allow excess pressure to escape.

1990CelicaGT-S
04-26-2007, 02:49 PM
Thanks guys.

PhillyDRFT
04-26-2007, 05:02 PM
on the topic of Charcoal Canisters. Do they have a pressure relief valve on the canister itself? Because both of my celicas and my girlfriends build up a lot of pressure in the tank. resulting in the wush when you take the cap off. So faulty valve on the canister?

sloceli
04-26-2007, 05:11 PM
No the fumes from the gas take go into the canister and are filtered then released under the crossmember. The Fuel cap has a breather valve but it only allows air to enter not escape.

1990CelicaGT-S
04-27-2007, 05:22 AM
Is it bad for the fuel system to be pressurized?

schmooot
04-29-2007, 04:11 AM
i was under the impression that fuel injected systems need to be pressurized....hence the tight connections on the fuel unlike carbeurated cars

PhillyDRFT
04-29-2007, 04:31 AM
i was under the impression that fuel injected systems need to be pressurized....hence the tight connections on the fuel unlike carbeurated cars

Yeah that makes sense to have fuel pressure between the fuel pump and the injectors but I don't see a need for the tank itself to be pressurised. I always thought thats what causes vapor lock.

andy
04-29-2007, 05:21 AM
ive had my canister off for about a year now. no problems. I read on AT.net that you should just connect the tank vent hose to the canister vent hose that runs to the crossmemeber.

1990CelicaGT-S
04-29-2007, 01:24 PM
That sounds like a good idea. Thanks for all the help guys.

glenn
11-10-2008, 04:59 AM
just ripped mine out and attached the "to tank" like the the one that goes out the bottom of the tank mainly i removed it cuz my valve off the head is bad. so i'm going to try and remove it. Is there a write up about it ?