PDA

View Full Version : Rusty rotors...

Futant3
04-25-2007, 05:22 AM
My new found interest in detailing has lead me to a time sensitive issue...

I've got open spoke rims on the celi that make the rotors easy to see, and I've just recently replaced the rotors with new brembos but they have already started to develop some light rust. Searched the internet and found a few different approaches from mechanical removal and then painting, or chemical treatments. Just wanted to know what experiences anyone has on the issue.

I figure this will be easier to fix while the rust is light. Also any thoughts on protecting the mounting surface of the hub, rotor, and rim. Would a light layer of caliper paint be a problem once they are all properly cleaned?

As you can tell, walking by them the top of the rotor is easy to find.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/Futant3/Celica/FrontRim-1.jpg

tippycanoe2
04-25-2007, 10:10 AM
My Acura TSX has the same problem. I could see the rust on the rotors through the factory rims before it had 10,000 miles on it.

T-spoon
04-25-2007, 02:24 PM
You talking about the rotor surface or hub area and edges? I assume not the rotor surface, since that's normal and painting them woudln't be an option

Futant3
04-25-2007, 04:09 PM
I'm talking about the non-braking surfaces of the rotor, so basically the parts that are exposed to the elements and never touch the pads.

I've seen some cars that don't seem to have any issues with this but they are high end cars so I assume they have some kind of zinc coating or something. I've found quite a few threads on the internet that show good initial results, but they never report back after a few months of abuse.

tuner4life
12-13-2007, 02:59 AM
When I get new rotors, I will tape off the faces, and paint the centers, and the edges with black, or whatever color of VHT brake paint you want. it seems to do the trick, and looks cool too. If they are already rusty, you can try so sand some of it off, but I dont think that they will last as long. :bigthumbu

extremeskillz
12-13-2007, 01:24 PM
Buy new rotors with zinc plating. It will reduce the rust issue.

85gtsblackman
12-28-2007, 08:26 AM
paint wont do shit to the surface, do u know how hot a rotor gets

KoreanJoey
12-28-2007, 11:52 AM
950+ degrees w/ the Porterfield R4S on an alltrac.

Shaggz00
01-02-2008, 07:09 AM
I had my rotors coated by Thermal Tech Coatings with a heat dispersant coating.

Thermal Tech (http://www.thermaltechcoatings.com/prod03.htm)

I have had them on my car for almost 2 years now (1 of which the car sat in front of my house without moving), and no rust! Well...ok, I Lied... The pad surface was rusted because it no longer had a coating on it, but every place that was coated, not a speck! I highly recommend it!

Kind of $, but I think it was well worth it. Cost me a total of $179 shipped to my door.

VikingJZ
01-03-2008, 09:14 PM
You should think about how you drive your car. If, in reality, you really do absolutely no racing whatsoever, painting them with high temperature paint will be fine.

I have had good luck with high temp primer from Duplicolor, followed by normal Super Red II paint, and then several coats of high temp Duplicolor clear.

grayscale
01-22-2008, 11:15 AM
Some type of grinder and a wire wheel works good for removing rust. As long as you are not running really high brake temps, average brake paint works just fine.

VikingJZ
01-23-2008, 02:34 AM
I have yet to try the brush on stuff you can buy. I have always used high temp primer, Super Red II car paint followed by high temp clear.

Its worked on two cars. The nicest paint on my 1990 GT when i got rid of it was the brake calipers. They get dirty, but once you wash them, they look like new.