PDA

View Full Version : Joined the Z club

Chris
04-25-2007, 04:53 AM
But I'm still a pretty proud member of the Celica club.

1986 300ZX

http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/6600/image002ib7.jpg

Car itself is nearly spotless, both on the outside and inside. 155k on the odo. Not bad for $2800.

Celica is peppier, and probably faster, considering this car is an N/A, but it's probably got some decent top end. I was looking around 300zx forums to get some info on how I can beef up the engine inside it (VG30?) but 300zx.coms forums are mostly Z owners ejaculating about how awesome their car is and how much everything else sucks. they seem to have a passionate hate for Celicas, and for that matter, Z31 300's, so screw that, I figured y'all might have an idea what I can do.

I'll get some more pics later, and might throw up a couple of the Celica while I'm at it.

Colossus20v
04-25-2007, 04:54 AM
nice. Does it have t-tops?

Chris
04-25-2007, 05:02 AM
Yes, yes it does. Those are awesome in the rain. It's a neat feeling looking up and around and seeing raindrops, kinda feels like you're in a glass dome. Wish they had put T-tops on Celicas, would have made improved the style a lot.

Slider
04-25-2007, 05:03 AM
Not too much top end there, had the same engine in my 88 Maxima, good torque throughout though, I used to get parts off those Zs, like 20% of the junkyard was Zs :lolhittin

Slider
04-25-2007, 05:15 AM
Oh and if you haven't already, check out z31.com, ton of info there.

Slider
04-25-2007, 05:16 AM
swap: http://home.pacbell.net/ehouts/z/swap/
headers + cams: http://www.gude.com/

Sean
04-25-2007, 05:48 AM
I have a 84 300zx 5spd V6 :) Its an absolute blast to drive! T Tops off plus RWD is a lot of fun.

WAY WAY slower then my celica though :)

Chris
04-25-2007, 06:24 AM
swap: http://home.pacbell.net/ehouts/z/swap/
headers + cams: http://www.gude.com/

Awesome, thanks. That's an option. I'm also looking at a V8 swap, but it seems like it'll be pretty hard. No kits or anything, thus everything has to be done custom. Unless I'm missing something.

Yeah, I think the Celica is faster than a N/A Z31, even my GT seems to handle better. But then again, the struts on the Z are stock with 155k miles.

Rix86
04-25-2007, 07:31 AM
the vg30 is alright.
not superb, but alright.
lifter and manifold problems on some, but can be messed with.
the z31 is often considered the car that ended original spirit of the z car.
kinda heavy. but a cool car for it's time, nonetheless.
wonder if the vq35 would fit......

Slider
04-25-2007, 07:52 AM
I'm not sure if your VG30E had a recall like my maxima, but I got brand new injectors from the dealership along with some gaskets and I believe they changed the water pump too. Call up the nissan 1800 number and see if there's any open recalls on it.

85gtsblackman
04-25-2007, 02:24 PM
u could turbo it, suprized no one said that, although id be a good match for my gts

Chris
04-25-2007, 04:49 PM
Hell, I just might. It's been worked on with one recall, but in fixing that they put a hole in a fuel line, which eventually sprang a leak and started a fire. My uncle worked pretty damn hard for 10 months to meticulously go over every wire and rewire it. Did a pretty damn good job, though I'm thinking I'll need a new alternator soon.

Need to get a comp test done too, it's quick (except on hills) but it doesn't seem to have anywhere near the zip of a stock GT. Kinda weird.

I'll look into turbo charging it. But I guess you need to swap a new motor in for that Because the turbo and non turbos were different somehow. I'll need to research it more.

Melchior
04-25-2007, 05:00 PM
I've actually had the pleasure of driving an extremly low mileage 84 (Aniversary Edition) turbo on a regular basis. A good friend of mine bought one that only had 30,000 KILOMETERS on it! He got it for less than 4k to, from a senior gentlemen who had the car since new who had owned a nissan dealership!

That car was the nicest condition... I swear to god you could not tell it had ever been driven. When he brought it into a Nissan dealership to get a complete tuneup done, the mechanic that worked on it said it's the nicest Z he has EVER seen for its age. Put it this way; it was so clean, said mechanic offered to trade his just imported Skyline gt-r for it, straight across.

All that said, it was a great car but even though it was a Turbo it didn't feel that peppy, and if I was him I would have taken the Skyline without batting an eye ;)

Also; Woot, 100th post!

geebes
04-25-2007, 05:09 PM
Looks good, I'm thinking about buying an 88 Turbo Z from my aunt with 80k on it. Seats are torn up the dash is cracked, wreaks of cig smoke, but the engine runs awesome and body is pretty straight. The engine bay looks intense though, shit is packed in there...not much room to move around...boo nissan.

burnyd
04-25-2007, 05:19 PM
ima big fan of those.. cool car!

andy
04-25-2007, 05:41 PM
nice car man, I love the old zzzz's

PhillyDRFT
04-25-2007, 05:54 PM
Stop by Nicoclub.com it's a huge nissan forum. Looks like a nice find.

I will agree that a lot of z32 owners are high and mighty but there the same people getting towed home from the track or even gas station. There hit or miss on reliability.
If you're looking for more power you can squeeze some more out of the vg30de you have in there or there is a multitude of swaps. You can always put a sr20 in it, but then you're loosing 2 cylinders.

Chris
04-25-2007, 06:02 PM
Thanks guys, yeah, it's a good car. Gets a good amount of looks too. How much are things like custom driveshafts for things like Z's? Seems like it's a lot cheaper to swap something into a FWD just because it's more straightforward.

I've look into squeezing more power out of the vg30de, but it seems like the most you can do is 300 and that's with cracking open the block, which really isn't something I want to do. Wonder if I could throw a turbo or supercharger on there though, 200 hp wouldn't be too bad.

I'd go for it Geebees, I think those turbos can run very high 14's. Not too bad. I'll lo

Slider
04-25-2007, 07:14 PM
It's a VG30E (SOHC) ;) , the VG30DE is DOHC. I would just look around the forums and see what people have done with the VG30E. If there's no good options I'd consider a swap.

The VG30ET is pretty easy to make power, great bang for the buck motor, and can be had for pretty cheap now.

Chris
04-26-2007, 02:16 AM
Well, looking into it, a VG30E swap is around 5k, and if I get that much then I'll just swap a 3sgte into the Celica to give it another 200k miles. Just with 70 or so more horsepower. But I'll look around. Finding a way to swap a 327 or 350 is looking nice, but sounds hard and expensive. 300 hp as a base wouldn't be bad though. Would sound pretty nice too.

Sean
04-26-2007, 02:59 AM
I'm not sure if your VG30E had a recall like my maxima, but I got brand new injectors from the dealership along with some gaskets and I believe they changed the water pump too. Call up the nissan 1800 number and see if there's any open recalls on it.

Our 84 did! Was awesome

Cavanagh
04-26-2007, 03:06 AM
And if you have to change the water pump on it, have fun. I had to on a 96 Maxima with that engine. I thought it was a bitch. Thats a good idea on calling them up to see what you can get for that recall.

Chris
04-30-2007, 01:31 AM
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/249/cars2vd0.jpg

Edit: I just realized I threw my sig in there instead of the other picture I had. Ah well, the other one wasn't that good anyones.

Hugo4
05-01-2007, 06:00 AM
If you are considering a V8, why not a RB26DETT? I am sure I saw one stuffed into a Z31 somewhere.

(NOTE: this statement does not in any way say that a RB26DETT is a V8, just to point out the obvious... :slap: It is merely offering a high HP comparable to someone willing to go to a lot of work. I thought a Nissan motor like the one out of a Skyline GTR would make for a sweet swap, but it is obviously a lot to take on.)

http://www.az-zbum.com/images/engine.z31.rb26dett.jpg

It would cost a lot more to buy than a small block chevy motor, but what the hell...The Z31 came with a RB series motor in some parts of the world, so it would fit better than a V8. A quick search comes up with this site of relevant info: http://www.az-zbum.com/modification.engine.swap.shtml

I think the Z31s were a good looking car, as long as they didn't have the fat ass 2+2 style. The Z32 is much better in terms of speed, handling, etc., but for some reason they don't look quite as sharp to me as the Z31.

Chris
05-01-2007, 06:07 AM
Thats not bad. I'm wondering when I can get some good information on any type of V8 swap into a Z31 as we also got a parts car which was a 2+2 with a locked motor. I could swap a decent engine into that thing, I just need to know where to start.

Upped the pressure on all the tires today to 29 psi, did a hell of a lot for traction (I was at 22 all around). As I said, the car will get up and go, though Celica still seems funner to drive, though it's down for the moment until I can get those CV shafts replaced. I won't lie though, while I like FWD in a daily driving application this RWD thing is kinda fun. :(

I'm still debating whether to work on the z31 2+2, 1986 z31, or go for a 3sgte swap in the Celica (which still has a perfect motor that runs like new at 113k, gotta love Toyota.

Cavanagh
05-01-2007, 03:05 PM
RB26DETT'S Are not V8s, they are Inline-6's.

VikingJZ
05-02-2007, 05:33 AM
I know quite a bit about the Z31. And yes, the guys at the 300ZX club HATE Z31's. I'm considering buying one for very cheap and fixing it up. I've always loved those cars.

VG30DET is the turbo engine out of the 84-89 Z. There's plenty of stuff to do to the naturally aspirated engine, but swapping is a plus. You can build that engine into a monster.

Now, fact states that the VG30DETT out of the 90-96 Z32 WILL NOT bolt right up to the Z31 chassis. You have to do custom work on one or two of the mounts PLUS the wiring. It has been done, but I believe many advise against it.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Oh....a 5SFE powered Celica can take down a N/A Z31 six ways from Sunday. My friend has one with less than 100k miles on it and I smoke it's bitch ass like a Philly blunt.

ciento44
05-02-2007, 05:36 AM
Thats not bad. I'm wondering when I can get some good information on any type of V8 swap into a Z31 as we also got a parts car which was a 2+2 with a locked motor. I could swap a decent engine into that thing, I just need to know where to start.

Upped the pressure on all the tires today to 29 psi, did a hell of a lot for traction (I was at 22 all around). As I said, the car will get up and go, though Celica still seems funner to drive, though it's down for the moment until I can get those CV shafts replaced. I won't lie though, while I like FWD in a daily driving application this RWD thing is kinda fun. :(

I'm still debating whether to work on the z31 2+2, 1986 z31, or go for a 3sgte swap in the Celica (which still has a perfect motor that runs like new at 113k, gotta love Toyota.

You should.... donate or trade me your celica. :P

Chris
05-03-2007, 03:02 AM
How much can you pull out of the turbo motor reliably, udstuengt?

Ciento, that car has been in my family way too long, it's still my baby. But I will trade you a wrecked 1981 Corolla for that 86 ;)

Oil pressure gauge seems to say the oil pressure jumps from time to time between engine start ups. One day on the highway it'll run about 31. The next 28. Any idea if this is just a fucked gauge or an actual problem? All the lights (battery, door, oil, all of them) come on when ever you turn on the blinkers, are on the gas, or there's a heavy electrical draw on the car. I'm wondering if this might be a loose connection, something my uncle made a mistake on, or the alternator is going out? Car starts alright, is a bit delayed after it's been siting for a couple hours, but that's it. We put a new battery in a couple of days ago.

1990CelicaGT-S
05-03-2007, 04:43 AM
Nice car Chris.

I'm not a wiring expert at all but I think your Uncle may have mixed something up in the wiring for that problem.

CelicaGTS94
05-03-2007, 02:10 PM
nice car. I like the 300zx's, My GF has a 90 300zx, 2 seater!! getting a JDM motor here for it this month!!!