PDA

View Full Version : Went to willowbank on wednesday night and...

3S-GTE_Man
02-03-2005, 01:11 PM
I ran a shit time....my best for my 2nd run (out of three)...a 15.799 @90.18 mph that on 11-12psi...i was pissed at my efforts...but she had no traction for like a whole 2 seconds off the line and then chriped into 2nd for a whole second. Enough chriping for a guy in the stand behind my mate to say "FUCK" when it the celica did that :)...

But yeah i mean the 4th gen st185 conversion on fullboost.com had 140kw @ front wheels and ran a 13.7 on a camry box...aust 162 ran a 15.12 or something on 6psi and i'm running 11-12psi and 122kw odd @ front wheels u'd think a mid 14 easy...what me doing wrong??....

I think one... i need more partices (more times down the 1/4) but please give me launching tips..only will listen to gt-2 owners like aust 162 and 2nd i need a full zorst the power drops off so much after 4500-5000 rpm but...i think with a full exhuast she gain a fuckload of torque and rev out better thus alot quicker times...

My 60 foots are a 2.5seconds...what ya times for everything man (aust162) like 60foot....660foot (half track)and other shit!

Please help me out...

Nezza :wiggle:

Classique71
02-04-2005, 01:43 AM
Do you run an LSD front box ?

Dunno if that will help you , but im sure it would help it hook up + also maybe invest in some sticky ffalkens or something just for drags ...

GT2's = traction issues but hell when they get that grip down they are monsters ..

Cel3sgte's group A 184 coupe proved this fact to me - that thing is Quick .. REAL quick..

( and its for sale - so guys in melb who want to save $$ on the conversion - buy his! )

Jaemus
02-04-2005, 05:24 AM
i dont get how a full exhaust is going to increase your torque anywhere in a useful part of the power band if at all

3sge
02-04-2005, 08:44 AM
it will gain both hp and torque when i did my swap i was pretty poor and couldn't afford a new exhaust so i was stuck with a 2-2 1/4" crush bend exhaust it went pretty good, but when i started getting more funds the exhaust was the first thing to change I made a 2 1/2" mandrel and holy crap the thing went crazy i would have to say a good 30% increase at least how ever my cat was pretty blocked up

-==L=a=N=c=E==-
02-05-2005, 04:23 AM
exhaust won't help you much nezza. The CT26 runs out of puff above 5500rpm, thats why you see the fade off of boost. I'd almost dare say the exhaust would be a waste of an upgrade.

I know you said GT2 owners only, but the only way your going to launch, is by slipping the clutch ALOT in 1st and then hooking upto 2nd and possibly doing the same. FWD cars are not blessed with traction in the front.

Anoter idea, is get your rear springs/shocks stiff as possible, as this will help stop the front lifting up. This will give you better traction off the line.

Sticky tires will help. Wider if at all possible, even if it is only for drags.

ronin
02-05-2005, 05:31 AM
okay nezza. first of all, by saying gt2 drivers only, go put this in a forced induction forum.. there are alot of people in here that know their stuff, N/A and GT4 drivers. so how about stop thinking so closed minded and liten to people who know instead.

if shit like this comes up again im gunna move it to forced induction forums. ill leave this one here.

stu:- sepands machine is/was nasty huh.. i love that car.

nezza, what stu and lance have said is spot on.. but if you want answers from more specific groups, use the forums to target your market.

Aust162
02-05-2005, 09:11 AM
i'm just learning to launch my car too. its really tricky. i only rev it to about 1500rpm then build up to about 2k and ride the clutch, then floor it!
my times are: (readin off the sheet)
r/t : 1.524
60' - 2.322
660' - 9.851
Mph 71.9
ET - 15.170
MPH 92.00

in the drag racing section on the site the american's talk about how they do it.
u got an SX g/box too yeah? i'm using a ST/camry s53, different ratio's maybe.ur car should go harder than that thou mate!

3S-GTE_Man
02-05-2005, 04:05 PM
sorry ronin i didn't mean to word it in such an arse hole of a way and i was suspecting if u place it inthe forced forum or the drag racing one....u can if ya want in both.....please actualy. and thanks for ya tiem there aust162.....yeah my first one i did was a 1st gear lot of clutch slipage but by the time i got to the end of the track i couldn't select a gear for like 10seconds..... then it got a clutch back....and i ran a 16.13 for that first one withthe clutch slip-age....
and how a zorst not do anything i mean they give a 20kw @ all wheel gain....for the gt-4 and also aust162 u got ya gt-4 cooler front mounted right and you got a full exhuast to right?

Jaemus
02-05-2005, 11:39 PM
far as i know, its not jsut as simple as giving ya a 20kw gain on a gt-4 or anything else. its entirely dependent on a million other things. what i do know is putting on a less restrictive exhaust will result in less low end torque and more top end power. going with what lance said - in this case with a ct26 - ur not gonna see much more top end power anyway. but not anything like 20kw at the wheels - not without a bunch of other mods and headers and such.

but hey, if you do it, and show me dyno results or even a better ET ill eat humble pie like it was pancakes with syrup and cream... mmm cream

ronin
02-06-2005, 12:06 AM
no problems nezza.

id suggest leaving this one here and asking the question again in the drags forum.. you'll get a better response over there, id like to leave this here as we have some aussie responses.. im gunna have a guess and say you'll told the same thing there.

or, to get an EBC.. run low boost for take off and once you change into second to flick to high boost.

Aust162
02-06-2005, 06:50 AM
nezza, my cars got a mr2 sw20 I/C FMounted.exhaust is a 3" dump,2.5" mandrel piping. i dont reckon they make that much difference. i know that u can feel the turbo lag pretty bad. its prolly all the i/c piping.
As for wheelspin i honestly didn't get much. mostly end of 1st gear.but when i change into 3rd the car chirps and jumps to the left!

next time i go down the 1/4 it should be much better. hopefully et of 14.5 or less.hehe and i will get to try out my dual stage MBC. low boost 1st gear :D
also nezza with this turbosmart DMBC in, my car also doesn't hold the boost in the high revs too well. it drops off a fair bit.its really bad when the cars hot.

3S-GTE_Man
02-06-2005, 11:13 AM
yeah i find the boost yeah did drop off like i mean i don't think the POS one i had in there before drop the boost as much.....i didn't get a chance to ran a low boost in 1st run cause a HUGE mother of a storm finially came down...but yeah my car doesn't have any top end what so ever...it just a mid range torque machine...

Resso
02-06-2005, 11:42 PM
don't blame the stock turbo for your high rpm power problem. its plenty good for up to 17psi boost on the steel wheel version. its the wastegate and terrible dump pipe design causing your issues man. if you are running the standard intercooler it will probably start heat soaking as well with the knock sensor pulling timing. fix your exhaust first. especially the dumppipe and front section, this is more critical and will give you more power. then fix the intercooler and things will start improving.

for your wheelspin problems, lower your tyre pressures to around 20psi or so for more grip. use stickier tyres too. this plus an LSD an good clutch will lower your times way more than more power. more power at the moment = more problems.

i've drag raced turbo FWDs for years, and doing the above work lowered my 60ft times from 2.4 to 1.9. which cut more than a second off my ET.

-==L=a=N=c=E==-
02-07-2005, 06:30 AM
Resso, it is a known fact that turbo runs out of puff well and truly past 12psi. This happens to also be where the stock ECU is mapped to as well.

Nezza is also running the ceramic version, so he wouldn't be boosting that hard anyways.

A dumppipe will help, but the turbo will still have its breathing problem.

Resso
02-09-2005, 03:36 AM
with a good intercooler such as the PWR water to air one on my car, the ct26 still is pushing out power at 17psi. its at the very edge of its usefulness. presuming his internals are up to the task with a better headgasket especially.

point taken about the ceramic wheel. i hate those. you can't clip em

can you link me to your fact that the turbo is not good for more than 12psi. i disagree.. i run 15-17psi for at least 12 months with no problem. the ct26 isn't that bad for a stock turbo

my bro runs 13-14psi on his gt4 no problems as well, although he don't have solid internals like my engine (mhg and arp)

3sge
02-09-2005, 05:24 AM
I read the first post again and the times that your saying aren't following the story that your saying like "no traction for like a whole 2 seconds off the line and then chriped into 2nd for a whole second" but you got a 2.5sec 60 foot time which ain't that bad, also you say you got 15.799 @90.18 mph that speed is about right. Sounds like something ain't running right in your setup.
What size tires you running? I only got 205's and i took off like a snail or should i say it bogged down but traction didn't seem to be a problem even when boost kicked in, mmm could have something to do with mr2 lsd, I still got a 15.1 but for some reason the car didn't want to got above 160km

-==L=a=N=c=E==-
02-09-2005, 05:57 AM
with a good intercooler such as the PWR water to air one on my car, the ct26 still is pushing out power at 17psi. its at the very edge of its usefulness. presuming his internals are up to the task with a better headgasket especially.

point taken about the ceramic wheel. i hate those. you can't clip em

can you link me to your fact that the turbo is not good for more than 12psi. i disagree.. i run 15-17psi for at least 12 months with no problem. the ct26 isn't that bad for a stock turbo

my bro runs 13-14psi on his gt4 no problems as well, although he don't have solid internals like my engine (mhg and arp)

What i meant is that, anything past 12psi, and it really starts to fade off in the top end. That is what i meant is the known fact.

I boosted my CT26 to 1Bar all day everyday without hassles, But you really gotta start asking yourself is it worth it? its gotta be blowing hot air by that stage.

Resso
02-11-2005, 06:32 AM
of course it blows hot air. all turbos blow hot air.. compressed air heats up. At 14psi it is hotter that 10psi sure, but once again if your intercooler is up to it then up to 17psi max is manageable.

looking at your pictures in your profile it looks like you were are running 14 pound on a stock intercooler. i wouldn't do that mate, you are likely to blow a hg with sky high intake temps and detonation

also id suggest putting your bov closer to the throttle for less lag

a simple clip on the turbine will stop that top end problem quick smart. cheap and easy

-==L=a=N=c=E==-
02-11-2005, 06:53 AM
Of course its hot air... But whats the point of over spinning a turbo way out of its efficiency zone?

The Stock intercooler is quite good as is, numerous times it has held 300hp. But i agree a bigger intercoooler would be a very wise investment.

Oh and yes, i have blown my headgasket, but that would be because of the 15yearold head gasket, and also i was running leaner mixture because i was using an FCon at the time.

Lag is not an issue, the intercooler tract is so short, it doesn't matter where you put it. And how in the world are you going to fit the BOV any closer to the manifold with the stock intercooler? Ain't no room up there. And ill throw another curve at you. I won't be running a BOV when i go fmic later this year....

Oh, and sure, you can clip the turbine, at the expense of slower spool up. And last time i checked, its not so easy to remove a turbo and then get someone to clip it.

But this has gone way off topic. You have your own thoughts, i have my own thoughts. Keep running 17psi on the stock turbine. Doesn't bother me none.

As for nezza's qtr mile times. It really comes down to this. Putting a 3sgte into FWD only mode is already a huge disadvantage. The only way his gonna get his times down is to control wheel spin by numerous ways.

3S-GTE_Man
02-11-2005, 02:49 PM
yeah i was going to try the taking off like a snail and yeha when i do that i don't spin on the line!!!!! yeah also 205 tyre i have!....i'll think i just wait a wait till everything ok again with the old girl cause the box is not feeling good..3rd comes out alot and is that just the leakages or some shit???

Also Resso u in the USA right....u got a PWR water-air barrel one...man i would love one of them but can't adfored it...and i only life 45-1hour drive fromt here factory were your one would ahve been made and that! they big dollars but are awsome...i'd have one over a front mount any day... just i can get a 600x300x80 front mount and all the pipes and shit for liek 800 aussie...PWR water-air...like 1500-2000 aussie dollars!!!

Yeah....i want a st202 beam fwd box withthe lsd....maybe not as stone as mr2 turbo lsd but no mods...just bolts in and all teh same drive shafts and shit!